EUEGENE MAFAH JR(GA ARMY NATIONAL GUARDSMAN ) FOOTBALL WALK-ON ADVICE from GT SWARM community,please

EugeneMafah24

Georgia Tech Fan
Greetings, my name is Eugene Mafah, a class of 2017 HS graduate. My brother Phil Mafah plays for Clemson University and my cousin Smael Mondon plays for the University of Georgia. I am a part of the Georgia Army National Guard, this Fall 2024 I want to walk on at Georgia Tech. I don't want to look back in my 40's and be like what WOULD HAVE , COULD HAVE , SHOULD HAVE been... Please update me with any WALK-ON football information, or related news for any upcoming tryouts. I have seen several veterans come back and pursue collegiate Football after deployment , and ROTC cadets play collegiate sports I plan to do the same as well.

Thank you,

-Eugene Mafah
  • Name- Eugene Mafah JR.
  • Height -6'1
  • Weight- 230lbs.
  • Graduation year- 2017 (HS)
  • Position -ILB/OLD/DE/FB
  • Schools of interest- JACKSONVILLE STATE .KENNESAW STATE, TULANE, GEORGIA SOUTHERN,GEORGIA STATE .UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS, APPALACHIAN STATE, FURMAN, JAMES MADISON , OLD DOMINION ,MARYLAND,GEORGIA TECH , GEORGIA, CLEMSON,DUKE,NOTRE DAME , WAKE FOREST,TEMPLE .RUTGERS., FLORIDA STATE , TROY , CHARLOTTE,TEXAS TECH
  • Scholarship offers-JACKSONVILLE STATE .KENNESAW STATE, TULANE, GEORGIA SOUTHERN,GEORGIA STATE .UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS, APPALACHIAN STATE, FURMAN, JAMES MADISON , OLD DOMINION ,MARYLAND,CHARLOTTE
  • Date of birth- 09/12/1998
  • States- LOGANVILLE,GEORGIA
  • Links to videos-

An original photo that can be used as the profile photo for the player page- >>>>>>>>>>>> ATTACHED BELOW

Attachments

• NCAA ID -EUGENE MAFAH.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 16

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Good luck and thanks for your service. Do you spend time at the new HQ in Smyrna?

Important question...have you ever enrolled in college since HS?

Do you know of the five year clock?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Didn't list 40 yard time. If 4.5 range will get a lot of interest. HS film?
Just out of interest, is a walk on paying own way counted differently toward total team number than PWO?

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't list 40 yard time. If 4.5 range will get a lot of interest. HS film?
Just out of interest, is a walk on paying own way counted differently toward total team number than PWO?
Think only difference is:
PWO: has spot on team , will be part of team but not athletic scholarship
WO: has to try out to make team, if they make it will be on team. Then if they make it no athletic scolly.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Think only difference is:
PWO: has spot on team , will be part of team but not athletic scholarship
WO: has to try out to make team, if they make it will be on team. Then if they make it no athletic scolly.
IIRC WOs have to wait until the rest of the Student Body shows up for class in the fall to be able to practice, or already be in the Student Body... if they make the team, then they count against the 105 limit.

ROTC Schollies are like HOPE Schollies...... one less counter against the 85 Max.

From an old walkon - There weren't PWOs in my era:

Be in better condition than anyone else, be strong, and always hustle.

Be prepared to get zero reps. When you get one, make it count. Know the assignments & proper techniques so you're not wasting a coach's time or someone else's opportunity. Scholarshipped & PWOs can blow an assignment & it's treated as an opportunity for them to learn. You may not get another chance, so observe & learn what the Scholarshipped & PWOs are being taught.

If you're good enough, both at your position and as a teammate, the players will let you know first & then the coaches.

You've been out of the game for 7-8 years..... know the current schemes and terminology. - your brother & cousin can help here.

Try to get on Special Teams & if you can stand on your head & throw a football accurately for 14.5 yards in .5 seconds, so much the better.

Get your old HS coach to call the GT Football offices to get in the front door.

You don't have to be the best on the field, but you do have to be good enough to be kept around to compete for the next year's PWO cycle.

Good luck & THWg!

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Advice and listen:

1 - get in contact with Key; call his admin; and get ahold of recruiting coordinator
2 - get a copy of the strength and conditioning workout charts and schedules for your position group and start doing these on your own NOW. Coach Key can link you.
3 - good luck after that. Its all u can do to prepare.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IIRC WOs have to wait until the rest of the Student Body shows up for class in the fall to be able to practice, or already be in the Student Body... if they make the team, then they count against the 105 limit.

ROTC Schollies are like HOPE Schollies...... one less counter against the 85 Max.

Be prepared to get zero reps. When you get one, make it count. Know the assignments & proper techniques so you're not wasting a coach's time or someone else's opportunity. Scholarshipped & PWOs can blow an assignment & it's treated as an opportunity for them to learn. You may not get another chance, so observe & learn what the Scholarshipped & PWOs are being taught.

If you're good enough, both at your position and as a teammate, the players will let you know first & then the coaches.

You've been out of the game for 7-8 years..... know the current schemes and terminology. - your brother & cousin can help here.

Try to get on Special Teams & if you can stand on your head & throw a football accurately for 14.5 yards in .5 seconds, so much the better.

You don't have to be the best on the field, but you do have to be good enough to be kept around to compete for the next year's PWO cycle.

Good luck & THWg!
I will add to this: The coaches want to make sure you are built for what you trying to do. They don't want to invite you to a tryout and see you get hurt right away. Make sure you are in tip top shape both physically and mentally. The classroom at Georgia Tech is hard on everyone. But, if you make it, it's worth every once you invested.

slugboy

Staff member

Good luck & THWg!
There are other differences, but

• Preferred Walk On implies the coaches help the athlete get accepted to school
  • Walk On implies they’ve already been accepted
PWOs may get other non-scholarship benefits. Neither preferred walk ons or walk ons count against the 85 scholarship limit, unless the NCAA sees a team giving scholarships “through the back door” as a way to circumvent the limits

Maybe things have changed since my time, but if an eligible student wants to walk on, and they’re making good grades, they’re a walk on. If you’re terrible, you won’t get many practice snaps, but you’re out there.

Mr Mafah, I have no special inside connections, but if you contact somebody on the football staff directory, like Errin Joe or Amanda Skipwith or anyone with “recruiting” in their title, I’d hope they’d point you in the right direction

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
  • Preferred Walk On implies the coaches help the athlete get accepted to school
  • Walk On implies they’ve already been accepted
PWOs may get other non-scholarship benefits. Neither preferred walk ons or walk ons count against the 85 scholarship limit, unless the NCAA sees a team giving scholarships “through the back door” as a way to circumvent the limits
You're right... Neither WOs or PWOS count against the 85 limit, but PWOs do count against the limit "Schollies + PWOs cannot exceed 105".... There's no limit on WOs.

Typically PWOs have three years.