ESPN's Playoff Projection - Week 6

What do you think the odds are that ESPN gets a 3+ SEC team playoff this season?

• <10%

Votes: 77 67.0%
  • 10-25%

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • 25-50%

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 50-75%

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • 75-90%

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • >90%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ollege-football-playoff-contenders-were-upset

Here is their extremely lazy playoff list:
1. FSU
2. Auburn
3. MS State
4. Ole Miss

They also have 3 of the top 4 Heisman candidates.

Literally HALF the SEC is ranked.

I can see it now if GT beat the odds and made it to 13-0:
Media: GT didn't beat anyone who was actually good.
Us: We beat VT, daU, Clempson, uGA, and FSU.
Media: Those are not good teams. They were beaten by GT, therefore they are not good.
Us: WTF?
We are already hearing this line of "logic" from Miami fans..

Play pissed my friends.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Ole Miss, Miss State, and Auburn all have to play each other. I don't think any one of those teams is good enough to beat both of the others. Whoever wins the "Egg Bowl", provided they each only have one loss, would probably get the nod, with all the positive press they're getting. I think it'll look like this;

1. FSU
2. Miss. State.
3. Baylor
4. Michigan St.

The Big 10 gave up too much in negotiations not to get a team in. Those who thought the politics would go away with a 4-team playoff were sadly mistaken...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
you may find, by years end, every team in the SEC West has 2 losses...they all still have to play each other...

Just watch....then what?

These predictions are so f-----in dumb and senseless. Predictions need to FACTOR IN remaining schedule; which means they still have to play each other alot.

Yet these are not predictions, these are weekly reactions by the dumb to feed the SECSPN Machine.

The SEC East may be worse than the coastal...no one is talking about that. If a ACC Team loses AT HOME to indiana, they are not ranked in the top 25...I give you Missouri.

Arizona is undefeated and beat #2 Oregon on the road. They just crack the top ten....I give you Miss St. and Ole Miss

Its unfair across the board.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
To have 3 teams from the SEC in, you would have one team that didn't even win their Division.....if that happened, it would dismantle this stupid playoff system. (which would be a good thing.)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
To have 3 teams from the SEC in, you would have one team that didn't even win their Division.....if that happened, it would dismantle this stupid playoff system. (which would be a good thing.)

This list shows 3 SEC West teams....so that would be 2 that didn't even win their division, on top of that 2 of the 3 have to have 1 loss and if one of the 3 is undefeated....then one of the remaining 2 has to have 2 losses. So that would be one undefeated west team, one one loss west team and one 2 loss west team in the playoff? LOL. these guys are f----in idiots.

Now, if they all have one loss, which they could, then you would have 3 one loss teams of which 2 didn't win their division....

the person who wrote this is so dumb he should be fired. But he probably got a bonus promoting the machine.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
The leaders after this week would probably be:

1) FSU
2) Winner of Auburn/Miss State
3) Winner of TCU/Baylor
4) Notre Dame (assuming they beat the tarholes)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The leaders after this week would probably be:

1) FSU
2) Winner of Auburn/Miss State
3) Winner of TCU/Baylor
4) Notre Dame (assuming they beat the tarholes)

I think the winner of the alabama auburn game goes to the SEC Title....Assuming they win that then they are in.

I say this because I think bama is still good enough not to lose again until Auburn possibly. If auburn stays undefeated...then the winner of that game goes. I think you will see miss st and ole miss fizzle as the year goes on. What i mean by fizzle...is fizzle from playoff consideration...they still may be a top 15 teams or whatever. But I guess that is why you play the games

Baylor still has to deal with some decent teams...I think they lose 1 maybe 2.
Notre Dame has the most open path....other than FSU

I really think the playoff will have a bunch of 1 loss team debates...AND THAT IS PERFECT. IT will immediately spark the discussion we need an 8 team playoff....it will say "how do you leave xyz teams out" etc. It will say these teams are all even...how can you make a case for x and not y.

So the committee will rely on conf champions...provided everyone but FSU has one loss...FSU has the best chance to be undefeated IMO.

This is going to be a mess and I can't wait.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The writers of the "projections" are doing their job right if they are stirring up controversy and making people talk about it. Guess what.... we're talking about it. Don't kid yourself and think for one minute their job is to actually be insightful.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not a chance 3 SEC teams make it in. The SEC West is the best division in football right now but I don’t think they are nearly as good as everyone thinks they are. Alabama has no offense, Ole Miss has been partly lucky for the most part, A&M has no defense, who knows what LSU is doing. Auburn and Mississippi State actually look like the most complete teams but I don’t see either of them going undefeated so the two SEC teams that make it will most likely come down to some crazy tie breaker scenario.

I think the winner of FSU/Notre Dame and Ohio State/Michigan State will get the other 2 spots.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If they want to make this playoff right, they'd expand it to 6 teams and require 5 to be the "power 5" conference champs. The sixth is a "wild card" that can be any of the following: a second power 5 team, a champ from an non-power 5 conference or an independent. Then give the two highest seeds a bye the first week of the playoff.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If they want to make this playoff right, they'd expand it to 6 teams and require 5 to be the "power 5" conference champs. The sixth is a "wild card" that can be any of the following: a second power 5 team, a champ from an non-power 5 conference or an independent. Then give the two highest seeds a bye the first week of the playoff.
I’ve said that since the beginning too. It just makes too much sense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

For me its the top 8 teams. Period. If that is not doable then your suggestion is my second choice but then you get into teams having a bi and that is huge in football.

I also think doing it this was diminishes out of conf games in season. They become pointless. In fact if you did it this way then you should play every team in you conference. Which means then, each conf should have similar amout if teams. I just see alot of negative to this method....

With the top 8 it seems u avoid some of this, but of course then winning your conf could mean less too if you have 2 losses. But you had your chance. I dont know. Good debate.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, I'm not saying when, but sometime fairly soon, 4-5 years, the playoff will grow to 8 teams. Wayyyy too much money on the table not to.
Also IMO, Week 6 Playoff projections = Pre-Season Polls ... Popularity contest.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, I'm not saying when, but sometime fairly soon, 4-5 years, the playoff will grow to 8 teams. Wayyyy too much money on the table not to.
Also IMO, Week 6 Playoff projections = Pre-Season Polls ... Popularity contest.
It is a 12-year contract with ESPN and they own the rights to broadcast all the playoff games. Won't change until after the 2025 season --> This means the soonest we could see an 8 team playoff is January 2027.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, ESPN owns the SEC network and the rights to those games through 2034. Hence why ESPN has a vested interest in hyping the SEC.

RMathis13

Georgia Tech Fan
The point of the National Championship is to crown the best team in the country. I find it very hard to justify letting teams in that weren't even the best team in their conference, much less their division in the case of 3 teams.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The point of the National Championship is to crown the best team in the country. I find it very hard to justify letting teams in that weren't even the best team in their conference, much less their division in the case of 3 teams.
The point of the 4 team playoff is to let on field performances decide who is best of those 4. The purpose of the 4 team playoff is to make money for those in charge of it (ESPN).

If ESPN thinks it is their long term interest of making money (20-yr SEC deal), they will act accordingly. Going beyond a 4 team playoff will dilute the number of SEC teams they can place in the playoffs and likely reduce their profit potential from the SEC Network. An expanded playoff would be good for GT, good for CFB, and good for fans, but it would be bad for the SEC and bad for ESPN.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
It is a 12-year contract with ESPN and they own the rights to broadcast all the playoff games. Won't change until after the 2025 season --> This means the soonest we could see an 8 team playoff is January 2027.
The length of the contract means very little. Once all parties involved, see how much $$$ is rolling in and how much more $$$ an additional 4 teams would bring, they'll renegotiate. I could definitely see it going to 8 teams within the next 10 years.