ESPN Take 2: Who has the best offensive line in the ACC?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
2nd part summary. Says you can't rely on consistency from Georgia Tech. Then he blindly accepts that "adjustments" will make UNC more consistent, and therefore better. Impeccable logic and analysis. I applaud.
Pretty much how I read it. The second part is just giving every benefit of the doubt to UNC, and saying we'll fall off because of Shaq Mason.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
An as usual waste of time read from ESPN. The guy saying unc gives number of starts coming back as primary reason for them. Then says they were hardly dominating last year. Smh at that logic.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
An as usual waste of time read from ESPN. The guy saying unc gives number of starts coming back as primary reason for them. Then says they were hardly dominating last year. Smh at that logic.
You know, I agree with that idea on principle. But the problem for it here is that we return 4/5 starters, and those 4 are better than the 5 they have coming back. I'll take our line over any in the league, without a doubt.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Players do not always improve drastically year to year. I recall some teams years ago that brought back tons of starters on D. Problem was they were fairly mediocre the year before. And all those starters coming back...pretty much repeated the mediocrity bit. Experience is better than inexperience though, that I won't question.

thwgjacket

Players do not always improve drastically year to year. I recall some teams years ago that brought back tons of starters on D. Problem was they were fairly mediocre the year before. And all those starters coming back...pretty much repeated the mediocrity bit. Experience is better than inexperience though, that I won't question.
You're correct, and I think it can be more nuanced than that. Our D returns a lot of guys this year from a mediocre D last year. The difference in our D and another teams mediocre group would be that our D played incredible down the stretch, save for one half against FSU. UNC's OL seemed to be mediocre early and then got worse as the season went along.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I loved this section--
"For the Heels to have the conference’s best offensive line by season’s end, however, ultimately they have to perform better. The Heels’ experience is a crutch in this argument..."

Translate: (Awww man....she already picked the team I was gonna pick. Now, I gotta pick another team just so we can have an article.)
"For my pick to turn out right, the Heels' line has to actually be good this year. Now--and watch what I do here-- I'll confess how lame my pick is by admitting I used a 'crutch.'"

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My interpretation of ESPN's Take 2 blogs is that they're intentionally set up the same way as Pardon The Interruption i.e., the two writers are forced to choose opposite sides. In this case that should keep the "I don't want respect from the media" crowd happy. Alternatively, the fact that the non-GT argument is so weak could easily be taken as a win/win for GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In all, the four have combined for 64 career starts. None of them made the preseason All-ACC team, but this is not a unit that needs individual standouts to excel. Everyone must do his part.

Um, but two (Bryan Chamberlain and Freddie Burden) did make the ACSMA All ACC team last season...you know, for their actual performance.