ESPN: RE-Ranking the top 300 recruits 2006-2013

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Are folks serious in saying our offense severely limited Thomas's production or that he didn't accomplish much at Tech? For comparison, A J Green is number 5 overall on that list and the top wide receiver. In his best year (2008), he had 963 yards, 8 TDs and a 17.2 yd/catch average.

In 2009, Thomas had 1154 yards, 8 TDs and a 25.1 yd/ catch average (yes, 25.1!).

Both played three years, Green ended with 2619 total yards, Thomas with 2339. Green was certainly a better receiver for all three years, as Thomas developed a little later. But let's not act like Thomas had that much of a worse career that he doesn't even belong in the top 300 discussion.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
When did I drop his last year from the discussion? Go back to post #14...I even mentioned he was first team All-ACC that year later.

Take your GT blinders off and really analyze that list and compare BeyBey's COLLEGE career to the careers of the players on that list. Kellen Moore is player #300 of 300 on that list. Can you honestly say BeyBey had the college career Moore had?

The Kellen Moore ranking is pretty good example of why I don't like the list. How can you possibly rank him 300 with the career he had? It looks like their ranking criteria is a mess.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Kellen Moore ranking is pretty good example of why I don't like the list. How can you possibly rank him 300 with the career he had? It looks like their ranking criteria is a mess.

I agree. It's very imperfect and super subjective. At the same time, it's not the highway robbery some of us are making it out to be. At the end, it's just entertainment value. So far GT fans are not that entertained!

:)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
When did I drop his last year from the discussion? Go back to post #14...I even mentioned he was first team All-ACC that year later.

Take your GT blinders off and really analyze that list and compare BeyBey's COLLEGE career to the careers of the players on that list. Kellen Moore is player #300 of 300 on that list. Can you honestly say BeyBey had the college career Moore had?
You said, "Outside of 2009, what exactly did BeyBey do in college to make him stand out more than the names on that list? Even in 2009 it's not like he had extremely memorable year. He made 1st team All ACC in 2009...Sean Bedford made 1st team All-ACC twice." It sounds to me that you want to exclude his 2009 performance. And, your Kellen Moore argument is specious.

ESPN et al who rank high school players potential are not ranking their college potential, rather their NFL potential. So, re-ranking is still about their NFL potential.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You said, "Outside of 2009, what exactly did BeyBey do in college to make him stand out more than the names on that list? Even in 2009 it's not like he had extremely memorable year. He made 1st team All ACC in 2009...Sean Bedford made 1st team All-ACC twice." It sounds to me that you want to exclude his 2009 performance. And, your Kellen Moore argument is specious.

ESPN et al who rank high school players potential are not ranking their college potential, rather their NFL potential. So, re-ranking is still about their NFL potential.

Yep, I wanted to exclude it that's why I brought it up and even named the accolade for what he did in 2009. I guess I need to learn how to "exclude" better...

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Thomas was honorable mention freshman all American, ACC all freshman in 2007, led his team in receiving in 2008 then dominated in 2009. His career was more than 2009. He could've been on the list.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
and just to add to my points #56 Dez Bryant was also freshman honorable mention All-American in 2007, had a breakout year in 2008 with slightly better numbers than Thomas in 2009 but many more touches, and then missed most of 2009...

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Really just compare Thomas's career to those WR apparently ahead of him and you'll see he's either comparable or better. Then take into account his blocking leading to many big plays on the perimeter and you have another underrated aspect of his collegiate career. Then take into account his professional success, and it's easy to see him as a glaring snub on this list, with or without GT lenses the "realists" like to claim those of us who root for GT in its current state are constantly looking through.

#61 Treadwell had a comparable statistical year as a freshman.
#109 Benn, was not as good as Thomas
#119 Jarvis Landry was not as good as Thomas
#138 Terrance Toliver was not as good as Thomas

How Ryan Broyles is #149 is beyond me. The only explanation would be professional production or something is taken into account, but Broyles had a fantastic college career.

Basically this list is garbage.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No, you did fine when you said, "Outside of 2009".

You really need to keep you arguments straight.