ESPN Predictions

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/77137/acc-week-12-predictions

Adelson:
One big reason: Deshaun Watson. Clemson has a formidable defensive front, and that is obviously a huge advantage going against the rolling Georgia Tech offense. But having Watson back in the lineup against a mediocre Georgia Tech defense is going to be the key difference. His presence alone is worth at least 20 additional points, considering the way the Tigers scored with him playing an entire game -- 91 points against North Carolina and NC State; 90 total points in the next four games with Watson relegated to the sideline. Georgia Tech ranks No. 13 in the ACC in total defense, and has given up 33 touchdowns this season -- third worst in the league. The Clemson offense should come back to life in this one. Clemson 35, Georgia Tech 28

Hale: Yes, Clemson’s defense is stout, and it hasn't allowed much on the ground since a Week 1 loss to Georgia. But keep this in mind, too: The Tigers have faced just one team since UGA that ranks in the top 20 in rushing. It has faced four that rank 100 or worse. And looking back on that Georgia game, Clemson had no answers for the Bulldogs' ground game. Georgia Tech will stretch the Clemson D, and with safety Robert Smith suspended for the first half, that’s bad news for the Tigers. Add Justin Thomas' big-play threat and there’s every reason to think the Jackets will be the biggest offensive threat Clemson has faced all year. On the other side of the ball, Clemson’s running game has struggled all year, so the game will be all about Watson, who hasn't played in more than a month. Georgia Tech 35, Clemson 28

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/77137/acc-week-12-predictions

Adelson:
One big reason: Deshaun Watson. Clemson has a formidable defensive front, and that is obviously a huge advantage going against the rolling Georgia Tech offense. But having Watson back in the lineup against a mediocre Georgia Tech defense is going to be the key difference. His presence alone is worth at least 20 additional points, considering the way the Tigers scored with him playing an entire game -- 91 points against North Carolina and NC State; 90 total points in the next four games with Watson relegated to the sideline. Georgia Tech ranks No. 13 in the ACC in total defense, and has given up 33 touchdowns this season -- third worst in the league. The Clemson offense should come back to life in this one. Clemson 35, Georgia Tech 28

Hale: Yes, Clemson’s defense is stout, and it hasn't allowed much on the ground since a Week 1 loss to Georgia. But keep this in mind, too: The Tigers have faced just one team since UGA that ranks in the top 20 in rushing. It has faced four that rank 100 or worse. And looking back on that Georgia game, Clemson had no answers for the Bulldogs' ground game. Georgia Tech will stretch the Clemson D, and with safety Robert Smith suspended for the first half, that’s bad news for the Tigers. Add Justin Thomas' big-play threat and there’s every reason to think the Jackets will be the biggest offensive threat Clemson has faced all year. On the other side of the ball, Clemson’s running game has struggled all year, so the game will be all about Watson, who hasn't played in more than a month. Georgia Tech 35, Clemson 28

That seems like a lot for a guy that hasn't played in a month...

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
It's impressive they scored 91 pts against NC State and UNC, but we scored 99 and I think Byerly was playing soft that last drive at the 1 yardline. I would even bet he was told to not score. We just need touchdowns most drives and we need to hope the cool morning air hurts that broken finger just a little bit

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm amazed between here and stingtalk that people don't think watson is "that good" or hasn't proven that he is yet. How does anyone watch him play and not come away impressed is beyond me. He will give us, and the rest of the ACC, fits for the next couple of years. If I'm a Clemson fan, I'm ecstatic of what I'm seeing from him so far. The difference between their offense with Stoudt and Watson is ridiculous. I'm not saying that he will destroy us (though he is capable to do so), or that we won't beat Clemson (I think we will), but to pretend like he isn't very good is crazy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And is a true FR. He good, but he ain't that good.

Oh, he THAT good. Probably the best pure passer in the ACC right now not named Jameis Winston.

BTW...for all the Chad Morris fanboys, I give you Clemson's offense under Cole Stoudt. Amazing what you can do on offense when you have 2 WRs taken in the NFL draft, a couple of RB taken in the draft, and Taj Boyd. Take away all that talent, and put Cole Stoudt in at QB...and you have an offense that averages 22 points per game.

Then you have CPJ, whose offense just keeps humming year after year with guys like Tevin Washington, Robby Godhigh, etc. Nothing against those guys, but none of them are the 4/5 star recruits Morris gets to play with.

You guys think the people ESPN are stupid, read this article from the Greenville, SC News website. Not only are they convinced Clemson will win, there are some up there looking for a shutout ---

Greenville News 11/12/2014, Page C02

Shutouts hard to come by vs. Georgia Tech
By Scott Keepfer

Staff writer [email protected]

CLEMSON —
Have hopes of shutting out Georgia Tech?

At Bobby Dodd Stadium, no less?
Better think again, even if you do possess the No. 2 total defense and No. 4 rushing defense in the nation.
“They’re going to move the ball some,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. “It’s not realistic to think that we’re going to shut them down. Those guys are going to score.”
That’s a near certainty. Georgia Tech has played 221 consecutive games without being shut out — the eighth-longest active streak in the nation.
Perhaps more impressive is that fact that the Yellow Jackets haven’t been shut out at home — the venerable Bobby Dodd Stadium — since Nov. 30, 1957. That’s a streak of 356 consecutive games.
That streak will be on the line Saturday when Clemson, ranked 17 th in the latest Amway Coaches Poll, plays at No. 23 Georgia Tech at noon. The Tigers take a 7-2 overall record and 6-1 Atlantic Coast Conference ledger into the game whileTech is 8-2, 4-2.
Clemson hasn’t won at Bobby Dodd Stadium since 2003.
“They take a lot of pride in their program, and being in Atlanta, they’re in a good spot to recruit,” Swinney said. “They’ve recruited some good players in there, obviously, and Paul Johnson has done a great job. It’s always a tough game for us.”
Georgia Tech leads the overall series 50-27-2, including a 43-13-2 record in Atlanta.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney is 0-2 against Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm amazed between here and stingtalk that people don't think watson is "that good" or hasn't proven that he is yet. How does anyone watch him play and not come away impressed is beyond me. He will give us, and the rest of the ACC, fits for the next couple of years. If I'm a Clemson fan, I'm ecstatic of what I'm seeing from him so far. The difference between their offense with Stoudt and Watson is ridiculous. I'm not saying that he will destroy us (though he is capable to do so), or that we won't beat Clemson (I think we will), but to pretend like he isn't very good is crazy.

I now agree that Watson is super-human. We shouldn't even show up.

Oh, he THAT good. Probably the best pure passer in the ACC right now not named Jameis Winston.

BTW...for all the Chad Morris fanboys, I give you Clemson's offense under Cole Stoudt. Amazing what you can do on offense when you have 2 WRs taken in the NFL draft, a couple of RB taken in the draft, and Taj Boyd. Take away all that talent, and put Cole Stoudt in at QB...and you have an offense that averages 22 points per game.

Then you have CPJ, whose offense just keeps humming year after year with guys like Tevin Washington, Robby Godhigh, etc. Nothing against those guys, but none of them are the 4/5 star recruits Morris gets to play with.

Good point.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow

Watson is very good, but that O-line of theirs is not. Hopefully our D can bring some effective pressure this week.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I now agree that Watson is super-human. We shouldn't even show up.
ahh yes, either amazing or horrible and nothing in between. you're probably very active in politics too.

I actually said, in my post, that I think we will win. Try harder.

thwgjacket

I think it's more of an indictment of how bad Stout is.
I think it's more an indictment on how little Adelson understands football. He may come out and destroy us but I don't see a freshman QB who has not played in a month being worth "at least" 20 points. She's implying that in the worst case scenario he is still worth 20 more points. I'm not buying that.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you quantify that statement, 20 points ? Since its not divisible by 6, is she saying he's worth 3 TD's and a safety ??
I also remember a quote from Carlie Wiess before we played ND, that his coaching alone was worth 10 points ... final score (in South Bend) GT 33 ND 3.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
ahh yes, either amazing or horrible and nothing in between. you're probably very active in politics too.

I actually said, in my post, that I think we will win. Try harder.

:rolleyes: Settle down Francis.

My overall point is that Watson is clearly a talented player but the suggestion that they're 3 TD's better with him is stretching it a bit especially, as @SidewalkJacket said, considering he's coming off injury and hasn't played in quite some time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you quantify that statement, 20 points ? Since its not divisible by 6, is she saying he's worth 3 TD's and a safety ??
I also remember a quote from Carlie Wiess before we played ND, that his coaching alone was worth 10 points ... final score (in South Bend) GT 33 ND 3.

Dude, it's ESPN. They make the rules.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

3 WR's*