ESPN on Tech's Pass Rush

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
'snippet]
The lack of a serious pass rush was an ongoing problem for Georgia Tech -- despite KeShun Freeman's spot on ESPN's Freshman All-America team. Against Power 5 opponents, Tech had a sack rate of just 4.1 percent -- the eighth-worst of any Power 5 team. And those numbers made a big difference.

This season, Tech had six games in which it recorded at least two sacks. It was 6-0 in those games and opposing quarterbacks completed 58 percent of their throws with six touchdowns and 11 interceptions. The defense allowed an average of 18 points per game.

In the seven games in which Tech had zero or one sack, the Yellow Jackets were 4-3 and the opposing QBs completed 67 percent of their throws with 10 touchdowns and six interceptions. Tech's D surrendered an average of 31 points per game in those contests.

There could be some potentially good news on that front for Georgia Tech as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says Jabari Hunt-Days could potentially return to action after sitting out the fall semester for academic reasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/78510/acc-morning-links-techs-pass-rush

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a pass rush? Coulda fooled me in Charlotte :)

I think that was his point, saying, "eighth-worst of any Power 5 team." Here are some more numbers, of the FBS opponents, we allowed 33.5 pts/game when getting 0 or 1 sack and 17.7 ppg when getting 2 or more sacks.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think that was his point, saying, "eighth-worst of any Power 5 team." Here are some more numbers, of the FBS opponents, we allowed 33.5 pts/game when getting 0 or 1 sack and 17.7 ppg when getting 2 or more sacks.
Interesting stark contrast in games/results. Do you know how that shakes out as far as perceived strength of the OLs in this split of games?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a pass rush? Coulda fooled me in Charlotte :)
We have a pass rush. As soon as the guy passes it, we rush after the guy that caught it. :)

Seriously, tho - it was mentioned that bringing pressure against Winston backfired on everybody - his accuracy actually goes UP when you bring the heat. Quite a quandary for a defensive coordinator. I wonder what Oregon is going to do.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Interesting stark contrast in games/results. Do you know how that shakes out as far as perceived strength of the OLs in this split of games?

I tried to assess that by calculating a pass-attempt/sack stat and ranking teams accordingly. It didn't correlate across the whole season. Oddly, one of our best D performances was vs Clemson, and Green didn't play.