ESPN mischief once again

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt the State powers would let the GT/UGA game drop. However, if the State allowed the drop, it would make for a good bowl game in the years when both schools were not playing other mandatory bowl games. It would be a highlight game if it were to be the Peachbowl.

Don't be so sure the UGA series will continue. The SEC is also looking at 9 games . Gonna be hard for the doggies to give up the revenue from a home game since they road trip to Jax every year.

Isn't it time that our annual futility is dropped? I know a lot of us have spent a lifetime with that game, but it is terribly disappointing and frustrating in recent years. We have won only 8 times in the last three decades, and that includes 3iar with Goose Godsey. We will never--yes, NEVER again have the luxury of either Goff or Donnan on the opposing sidelines. And Paul Johnson may be the best coach we employ for the next umpteen years. The inequities in coaching and recruiting are beyond fixing. I think the alums and fans would get over the loss of this rivalry in a couple or three years, and we could be just as happy with playing Wake, or Mercer, or Georgia Southern and having a chance at winning.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't it time that our annual futility is dropped? I know a lot of us have spent a lifetime with that game, but it is terribly disappointing and frustrating in recent years. We have won only 8 times in the last three decades, and that includes 3iar with Goose Godsey. We will never--yes, NEVER again have the luxury of either Goff or Donnan on the opposing sidelines. And Paul Johnson may be the best coach we employ for the next umpteen years. The inequities in coaching and recruiting are beyond fixing. I think the alums and fans would get over the loss of this rivalry in a couple or three years, and we could be just as happy with playing Wake, or Mercer, or Georgia Southern and having a chance at winning.

No.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess if you don't care about Tech tradition.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
It would be devastating to me personally if that game were ever dropped.
Lets just say if and I hope it never happens but if Tech drops Georgie or vice versa..........I drop TECH if we are the ones pushing the drop..............it aint football unless you hate the pups...........HWGA

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry Mack, I don't hate anyone. I don't hate anyone that attends UGA. I always want Tech to beat UGA, but I also want UGA and any college team from the State of Georgia to beat other teams from other States, unless it happens to be an ACC team. I remain loyal to the ACC teams as well as Tech. By the way, I have family members and a best friend who are UGA fans, and I certainly don't hate them. There is no difference between a Tech or UGA fan other than the loyalty to their schools. There are both good and bad people at each school. There are both good and bad fans at each school.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Tradition left college football when the conferences started realignment

Come on! We've been playing the dumb mutts since 1898. I could care less what conference we were in. The game goes on. You don't pack up your ball and go home like a whiney baby like Jean-Baptiste Rochambeau is suggesting

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Hell no

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Isn't it time that our annual futility is dropped? I know a lot of us have spent a lifetime with that game, but it is terribly disappointing and frustrating in recent years. We have won only 8 times in the last three decades, and that includes 3iar with Goose Godsey. We will never--yes, NEVER again have the luxury of either Goff or Donnan on the opposing sidelines. And Paul Johnson may be the best coach we employ for the next umpteen years. The inequities in coaching and recruiting are beyond fixing. I think the alums and fans would get over the loss of this rivalry in a couple or three years, and we could be just as. happy with playing Wake, or Mercer, or Georgia Southern and having a chance at winning.
Quit much? Not only no but hell no. THWG.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

-JFK

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

No.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Nah, couldn't do it. The Georgia Lottery has brought in a new kind of student to U(sic)gA and this whole fantasy thing has brought an agnosticism to team identity at all levels of football. These new kind of students aren't comfortable with that school's traditional position in the smart vs. good ole boy debate and try really hard to pretend that the rivalry either doesn't exist or is irrelevant. Neither of those kinds of person fill seats or buy gear for that place in Athens. Puppy nation is what it is, and given their history I suspect they'd feel compelled to put on their bedsheets and run whatever administrators decided to drop that game out of town on a rail.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry Mack, I don't hate anyone. I don't hate anyone that attends UGA. I always want Tech to beat UGA, but I also want UGA and any college team from the State of Georgia to beat other teams from other States, unless it happens to be an ACC team. I remain loyal to the ACC teams as well as Tech. By the way, I have family members and a best friend who are UGA fans, and I certainly don't hate them. There is no difference between a Tech or UGA fan other than the loyalty to their schools. There are both good and bad people at each school. There are both good and bad fans at each school.

You've got it wrong. Hate isn't about hating individuals or groups. Hate is about who we are because GT was and is forced into self definition against a dominant trend. Remember that GT was founded out of the understanding, after the Civil War, that the South would have to change to meet the future. There are and always have been those who violently oppose that vision of change. UGA students already found us contemptible for who we are when they threw those first stones on a football field over a century ago.

Clean, old fashioned hate for GT is the claim of our identity. We are the despised of the Good Ol' Boy, the threat to traditional, aristocratic agrarian power structures, and the way forward for Georgia, the South, and now the world. Now, the current UGA student body is no longer quite the hotbed of Klan resurgence that it once was. More often than not, our fellow Georgians at UGA share the same vision for building the future that we do. This is well and good because it is the logical result of the dominance of the vision of the state towards which generations of Yellow Jackets have worked.

But we cannot give up that rivalry and remain who we are. We are not MIT, and the Northeast archetype of the engineer does not fit us. We remain still scions of the southland, and we do such things as play football and build cars and race tricycles. We stand upon a Hill built up by those who came before us, and on that ground we shall stand fast.

Now what's the Good Word?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
IEEEWreck: I still refuse to hate UGA, because I do not. Tech is my #1 team,. Actually, I like Spurrier and his coaching secondly, and then thirdly I pull for UGA, as it is an in-State school, and I want all in-State football teams to beat the others. Actually, I like Mark Richt as I think he is a good person. I also think Paul Johnson is a good person. I became a fan of Tech based on following the coaching of Bobby Dodd. I am more of a fan of coaches than teams. The only reason I like to see South Carolina win is because of Spurrier. The only school that I am a loyal fan of their sports is Georgia Tech and that is because of my early following of Bobby Dodd's coaching.

At one time, I was a fan of Alabama when Bear Bryant was their coach. I was also a fan of Mississippi when Johnny Vaught was their coach. I also followed Arkansas when Frank Broyles was their coach and pulled for them to win at that time. I am no longer a fan of Alabama, Mississippi, or Arkansas. Although, I generally pull for UGA when they play other teams, I do not pull for them to beat any of the ACC teams.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It is a depressing that they have owned us for the last 50 years, but still want the chance to beat them once in awhile, can't stand the mutts.