ESPN Classic

Tonight they showed the 1984 Tech/Clemson game. Loved watching Sir Robert gliding through the line. Also loved watching Big John earning his trademark name. I noticed in that game we had complete gold helmets. No GT on the side. I can't remember ever seeing our beloved football team play without GT on its side. Anyone else with info?

MarineJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I am fairly certain that was Bill Curry and a disciplinary type action. If my memory serves, for several games early in the season he felt the team had not responded well in several areas (not sure - practice, attitude, etc?) and said when they deserved to wear the GT he would let them put it on their helmets. I also seem to remember they put them on shortly thereafter. I also think that was one of the same years the "Black Watch" defense was formed (84 and 85 maybe?)and they had black GTs as well as a black stripe down the center, with notables like Ted Roof and Pat Swilling on the D.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Curry had said before the season that the “GT” logo on the helmet had to be earned. It was never revealed, outside of the team, what the criteria was to earn that right.

But, before the last game of the season vs ugag, they put the logo on the helmets.

Before that, the last time we had worn solid Gold was in 1965 I believe

Curry had said before the season that the “GT” logo on the helmet had to be earned. It was never revealed, outside of the team, what the criteria was to earn that right.

But, before the last game of the season vs ugag, they put the logo on the helmets.

Thank you.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Tonight they showed the 1984 Tech/clitson game. Loved watching Sir Robert gliding through the line. Also loved watching Big John earning his trademark name. I noticed in that game we had complete gold helmets. No GT on the side. I can't remember ever seeing our beloved football team play without GT on its side. Anyone else with info?
Man... I need to get ESPN Classic

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Chuck Easley #44 had a career day. I listened to that game on my car radio in the driveway. I think the Black Watch was the following year.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

1964. In '65 we had the white helmet with 3 stripes and stars that the cowboys copied.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
1964. In '65 we had the white helmet with 3 stripes and stars that the cowboys copied.

You may be 100% correct, but I think Dodd changed the hats during the season. The stars were, I believe, not like the one big one on the side of the Cowboys helmets, but rather much smaller and awarded for big plays such as fumble recoveries, interceptions and things like that

northgajacket

Banned

I thought he did that around the 1981 season.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I thought he did that around the 1981 season.

No he took logo off in 1984. Just for that one season, minus ugag game.

Now in 81, one thing curry did was bring us out in Blue shirts for the ugag game.. Those dwag bastards.

After that curry went with black shirts.

Our AA was quite schizoid back then as Cremins used Blue as the third color with AMC court painted blue, and curry had black as third color.

Talk about branding issues!

northgajacket

Banned
No he took logo off in 1984. Just for that one season, minus ugag game.

Now in 81, one thing curry did was bring us out in Blue shirts for the ugag game.. Those dwag bastards.

After that curry went with black shirts.

Our AA was quite schizoid back then as Cremins used Blue as the third color with AMC court painted blue, and curry had black as third color.

Talk about branding issues!

I doubt we would ever see that game on ESPN Classic.

The interlocking GT is a great logo, but I still prefer the all gold, no logo helmet. Just an old fart, I guess.