ESPN: ACC QB Roundup

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with top 2 on the list.
I'll give Louisville QB a bump up because QB's always seem to play good under Petrino.
The rest you could pull out of a hat to rank in any random order. But good attempt on Heather part.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see this as a similar situ as in 2011. Altho Tevin had some game experience coming in for Joshua in 2010, it was not a whole lot more than JT got last year. Tevin ripped off 6 straight against lesser foes, still impressive. Our schedule this year is manageable at the front end. Time to get adjusted, could be 4-0 leaving Hooterville-Hokieland. I personally see Justin as a notch above Tevin. That is not a knock on TW, just think Justin has a much bigger upside. Does he have an equal or better supporting cast than Tevin did in 2011? One thing is certain, he has a much better defense, should get some stops, help with field position and time of possession. 2011 was 8-5. Can't wait to see what the 2014 edition can do.
Tevin could read the option better than any quarterback we have had in this system. What JT brings to the table is better speed and better receivers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Past performance is what I base my concern on. Godhigh was by far the best we had last year and he is gone. Arguments can be made that AB will be fine, but until I see it, I'll be concerned. You may be right, but we'll see. :cool:
Truth be told, A-back has been a question mark in past seasons also. One of those years Orwin Smith practically came out of nowhere and last year Godhigh more than exceeded expectations. One theory is that A-backs are a CPJ invention and he knows how to groom them and they always get their yards every season.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Good post. We all thought the sky was falling after Roddy left, and Orwin put up better stats. We thought the sky was falling after Orwin graduated and Godhigh became a stud. None of those 3 had NFL futures either. I think the #1 AB in this system is put in a lot of positive positions to produce stats.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
  • JT has speed and quickness.
  • TW had the option down, was durable, and could rush the LOS on short plays.
  • Bylerly can push the pile on short plays and has a stronger arm than TW.