End of season PFF all ACC team

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Zero GT players ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My perspective is probably skewed by only seeing him against GT the last three years (and going 0-3 in a time when that was hard to do) but Drake May's play didn't live up to all the hype imo. Again, I only saw him three times so I assume there must be more there than meets this casual observer's eyes.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My perspective is probably skewed by only seeing him against GT the last three years (and going 0-3 in a time when that was hard to do) but Drake May's play didn't live up to all the hype imo. Again, I only saw him three times so I assume there must be more there than meets this casual observer's eyes.
In just our game this year he was pretty impressive. And you would have only seen him twice. In 2021 it was Sam Howell we beat. Last season Maye didn’t have a great game against us so I could understand not seeing what the hype was all about. But this year our guys just made a few more plays than Maye did. He wasn’t why UNC didn’t win that game, IMHO. It took some tremendous play by our offense and some extremely timely plays by our defense. Dontae outplayed Hampton and, IMHO, King outplayed Maye.

Let me stipulate, since this always devolves into a “well Haynes King can do that, too” that I love our QB and I think King is a better leader than Maye and also developed more than Maye did this year and I’m super excited about what King will do next year. With that out of the way, and when I say something please don’t take it as “Maye does this better than King” for everything I say, Maye generally throws a ball that hits guys in stride. It’s often placed exactly where it needs to be and if it’s a tight window he is usually only throwing it where his guy catches it or nobody does. In two years he has thrown only 16 INTs and 62 TDs. I’m not counting the 1 TD he threw in the mop up duty from 2021. He has almost 8000 passing yards and about a 63-64% completion rate. He’s sneaky athletic in that you don’t look at him and expect him to beat you with his legs but he can. In two seasons he rushed for about 1100 yards and 16 TDs. I think what the NFL teams see is that he is pretty consistently throwing a nice ball on every throw. He reads defenses well. He throws few INTs and lots of TDs. He’s also big and he runs well enough (not as good as one Haynes King!!!).

He’s had some bad games, too. But his defense is pretty poor most times and usually when they lose it isn’t because he didn’t get the job done.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In just our game this year he was pretty impressive. And you would have only seen him twice. In 2021 it was Sam Howell we beat.

He’s had some bad games, too. But his defense is pretty poor most times and usually when they lose it isn’t because he didn’t get the job done.
Nice summary jojatk. At the end of the day, I really don't trust my judgement tbh. As I have said here on a few occassions, especially when talking about recruiting, I saw Keith Brooking play a number of times in HS. When we signed nim, I thought he would maybe help us on ST and provide depth as an upperclassman. WTBS.he was starting as a FR and a top 10 or so pick in the NFL draft. One of the best ever GT LB's (if not the best).So ever since, when I have something to say about a player (pro or con), I will usually ignore it but toss it out there as if it is somehow meaningful. I haven''t learned to keep my mouth shut in these matters. ;)

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Nice summary jojatk. At the end of the day, I really don't trust my judgement tbh. As I have said here on a few occassions, especially when talking about recruiting, I saw Keith Brooking play a number of times in HS. When we signed nim, I thought he would maybe help us on ST and provide depth as an upperclassman. WTBS.he was starting as a FR and a top 10 or so pick in the NFL draft. One of the best ever GT LB's (if not the best).So ever since, when I have something to say about a player (pro or con), I will usually ignore it but toss it out there as if it is somehow meaningful. I haven''t learned to keep my mouth shut in these matters. ;)
I am one of the worst evaluators there is. After last season's game I said exactly the same thing you did about Maye. I had to go back and watch some of the condensed games and a couple of full games to really see why people were gaga over him. And hey, he may be an NFL bust (though I hope not and I hope my Washington team gets to draft him!!!). One thing that stuck out to me was that he didn't seem to be a "system" QB.

It's funny you should mention Keith Brooking. I have a very vivid memory of sitting next to my buddy at a game together and the first time he saw Brooking on the field he said the kid would be a star. I gave him the side-eye and asked him what the heck he was talking about. He just loved the way Brooking moved and "saw" the play and he said that if he put on some good weight and muscle that he'd be an NFL player.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In just our game this year he was pretty impressive. And you would have only seen him twice. In 2021 it was Sam Howell we beat. Last season Maye didn’t have a great game against us so I could understand not seeing what the hype was all about. But this year our guys just made a few more plays than Maye did. He wasn’t why UNC didn’t win that game, IMHO. It took some tremendous play by our offense and some extremely timely plays by our defense. Dontae outplayed Hampton and, IMHO, King outplayed Maye.

Let me stipulate, since this always devolves into a “well Haynes King can do that, too” that I love our QB and I think King is a better leader than Maye and also developed more than Maye did this year and I’m super excited about what King will do next year. With that out of the way, and when I say something please don’t take it as “Maye does this better than King” for everything I say, Maye generally throws a ball that hits guys in stride. It’s often placed exactly where it needs to be and if it’s a tight window he is usually only throwing it where his guy catches it or nobody does. In two years he has thrown only 16 INTs and 62 TDs. I’m not counting the 1 TD he threw in the mop up duty from 2021. He has almost 8000 passing yards and about a 63-64% completion rate. He’s sneaky athletic in that you don’t look at him and expect him to beat you with his legs but he can. In two seasons he rushed for about 1100 yards and 16 TDs. I think what the NFL teams see is that he is pretty consistently throwing a nice ball on every throw. He reads defenses well. He throws few INTs and lots of TDs. He’s also big and he runs well enough (not as good as one Haynes King!!!).

Maye has the qualities that NFL teams look for. Very accurate with his passes. Hits receivers where they can run after the catch, sees the field very well and has the mobility to extend plays in and out of the pocket. There are not any throws that he is not capable of making. How he turns out as a Pro is very dependent on which team drafts him and the coaching staff of that team. Lots of very talented College QBs have ben ruined by bad coaching in the NFL. It is a big jump from college to the NFL.

The Jets have ruined several very good college QBs who were drafted in the top 5 picks because they have lousy offensive coaches. Conversely Purdy for the Niners is excelling in a great offensive scheme with a great offensive coach. He likely would be a backup on most other teams.

Of course if you are a top 3 pick in the Draft you are going to a bad team most likely!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I've always thought (as should all good GT thinkers) that PFF is no where near the be all/end all or even close to it. I heard someone this week that watches more football than probably anyone here validate my thinking on this. I wish I could remember who it was but I was driving and needed to get the traffic report.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought (as should all good GT thinkers) that PFF is no where near the be all/end all or even close to it. I heard someone this week that watches more football than probably anyone here validate my thinking on this. I wish I could remember who it was but I was driving and needed to get the traffic report.
I think there isn't a be all/end all in existence when it comes to these things so whomever it is you heard I also agree with. I think it's interesting to see what opinions are out there and I tend to use them as starting points for my own research. Sometimes I end up agreeing with them. Sometimes I don't.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Meh, it's only a single team selection, not 1st team, 2nd team, etc. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure that anybody on our team was the best at their position in the conference. IIWII. Pitt and VT also didn't have any selections.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I’d love to see the Falcon’s get him personally

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see the Falcon’s get him personally
They're probably going to have to trade up to #1 to do it. He won't get past Washington, IMHO. But who knows? Maybe someone falls in love with Jayden Daniels. His stats are ridiculous.

slugboy

Staff member
So there was a guy on another GT site a couple years back recommending folks watch out for Fusile as a PWO. He caught unrelenting flack over it. Wonder if all those folks remember their expert denunciations. Not really. I know the answer.

Well done, Joe! Proud of you!
Fusile was the focus of constant criticism on this board. We had to delete a lot of comments about him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So there was a guy on another GT site a couple years back recommending folks watch out for Fusile as a PWO. He caught unrelenting flack over it. Wonder if all those folks remember their expert denunciations. Not really. I know the answer.

Well done, Joe! Proud of you!
You're right. This is why I never give anyone grief about touting a PWO or particular player they feel will do well. It also makes me very happy when someone predicts a player will do great at GT and that person turns out to be right!

That poster did get some flack though, to be fair, the flack really wasn't about Joe per se and it was mostly in the nature of "whatever you say" with rolled eyes and most people dismissed that poster's opinion. And that poster was 100% right about Joe!!!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maye has the qualities that NFL teams look for. Very accurate with his passes. Hits receivers where they can run after the catch, sees the field very well and has the mobility to extend plays in and out of the pocket. There are not any throws that he is not capable of making. How he turns out as a Pro is very dependent on which team drafts him and the coaching staff of that team. Lots of very talented College QBs have ben ruined by bad coaching in the NFL. It is a big jump from college to the NFL.

The Jets have ruined several very good college QBs who were drafted in the top 5 picks because they have lousy offensive coaches. Conversely Purdy for the Niners is excelling in a great offensive scheme with a great offensive coach. He likely would be a backup on most other teams.

Of course if you are a top 3 pick in the Draft you are going to a bad team most likely

He is big, throws hard and accurate and has some wheels though not shifty so can see why has interest. IMO his biggest weakness is pressure can rattle him and make him throw too quickly. They may be able to work on that in the pro's.