Electric Vehicles

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does anyone else have a plug in car?

I got a Ford Fusion Energi a month ago and absolutely love it. I got the fully loaded Platinum model. It gets ~22 miles per full charge and runs on the gas engine when no battery power available (charges battery with excess power). Given it's adaptive cruise control and lane holding and parallel/perpendicular parking, it is just the neatest car I've ever owned. Plus, watching the watt meter for varying conditions and trying to maximize efficiency (within reason) is something to geek over.

Two reasons I'm putting this one here. First it's a positive post (I could have posted about technology extending people's lives which will be an unsustainable burden on our economy and health care system) and second to let people know that for plug ins, there is still a tax credit this year which may not be renewed. For the Energi, it is $4007 that you can take a credit on if you buy this car and varying amounts for other plug ins. If you lease, they roll the credit into the lease so you basically get the bigger battery for free. I ended up with $9500 price reduction from Ford and $3500 from the dealer on a $43K sticker car. I leased since the deal was so good. First time I ever leased a car (most cars have gotten over 150K miles).

Ain't technology great? I can't wait to see what I get in three years or whether I just buy this car from the lease company. The new $35K Tesla coming out next year is going to really push the market.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I was saving pretty hard for a Tesla Model 3. Then my new car money became the "pay for moving" budget and now I don't drive enough to warrant a car. You can bet the house when I need a car again I'll be getting a Tesla.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We need more people in them, The technology has been progressing at a rapid rate and I am sure its going to be through the roof in the coming years

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hope your electric car has a big trunk to store you Betamax machine and Amiga 2000.