Election Day

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'd agree that it's a duty but privileges come from a government. Rights come from God.
This distinction was so important to our founding fathers that they enumerated them in the first ten amendments.
The Constitution mentions "the right to vote" five times.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I could not disagree more strongly. Voting is a right and a duty as a citizen.
I don't want anyone voting that doesn't know the candidates they're voting for. That's easy at the Presidential level. The problem is there's more to vote for than just the President and Congress. Local offices are very important and too often uninformed voters make really dumb decisions because they know nothing about the candidates but vote anyway. Why would anyone vote for someone based on what their name sounded like?

Edit: I'm not suggesting people don't vote. I'm suggesting they become informed voters or abstain from voting in certain races.

GT_EE78

Banned
Although i believe that to be true (haven't examined the context) , a universal right to vote is not ratified within the Constitution.
If our founders had considered voting to be a human right, they would have guaranteed it to all citizens. For this reason, it is logical to conclude that America's founders considered voting a privilege, not a right.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Although i believe that to be true (haven't examined the context) , a universal right to vote is not ratified within the Constitution.
If our founders had considered voting to be a human right, they would have guaranteed it to all citizens. For this reason, it is logical to conclude that America's founders considered voting a privilege, not a right.

Is it like the privilege to bear arms? It's not guaranteed to all citizens either.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And since then several amendments have been added to the constitution specifically defining the right to vote, using that own language and calling it a right.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The right to vote has certainly evolved. The 12th Amendment to the US Constitution, in addition to dumping half the Electoral College, had a little known footnote that required the Ga Tech administration to provide for every voting age student's right to vote on campus. That footnote apparently did not apply to the university [sic] of Georgia.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That was a lazy excuse (good on em, i guess...)

It was a something excuse. I don't understand the logic of: It is too dangerous to have people line up and enter a building to vote, therefore we are going to load groups up on a shuttle bus to take them to a place that will have longer lines and more crowding due to the increased number of voters at that location, and let them vote there.

LibertyTurns

Banned
It was a something excuse. I don't understand the logic of: It is too dangerous to have people line up and enter a building to vote, therefore we are going to load groups up on a shuttle bus to take them to a place that will have longer lines and more crowding due to the increased number of voters at that location, and let them vote there.
That’s just downright idiotic.

However, I’d think most college kids were registered to vote at their home of record not their college. They’d be voting absentee ballot, correct? This whole thing about giving them the day off is just bull, nonsensical. Even if they’re voting at their college, there’s nobody that’s so freaking busy from the time polling places open 7am to about 7pm that they can’t find an hour to line up to vote. Then there’s 10 days, maybe more of early voting.

You’d have to be an athlete taking 20 hrs (unicorn) so maybe you got 4 hrs of class on election day (Tuesday), 3 hrs of practice makes 7 hrs you’re busy. You got 5 freaking hrs to vote.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually thinks about what they read, hear, etc.

SJBryan

Georgia Tech Fan
I’d like to know just how many Vote and how many just enjoy the day off. As far as helping Recruiting- highly doubtful- High School kids want to know how far can you take them to get noticed. They won’t see the value in this gesture.

GT_EE78

Banned
Since virtually none of these students will be voting there (if they vote it's in their district of residence or most likely absentee), what they're doing is inviting the public to vote there likely with student and possibly SA's volunteering to man the polling location. It's just additional risk of getting the chinavirus for all who go there to do the volunteer work. What were they thinking?

Deleted member 2897

I am privileged to say I think it is right to state our privilege to vote has rightly evolved into a right.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Since virtually none of these students will be voting there (if they vote it's in their district of residence or most likely absentee), what they're doing is inviting the public to vote there likely with student and possibly SA's volunteering to man the polling location. It's just additional risk of getting the chinavirus for all who go there to do the volunteer work. What were they thinking?
When I was a student, my GT PO Box was the address I used to register to vote, so I voted at Georgia Tech. Not so sure why you think everyone will vote in a different district. As a polling facility, only those in the 30332 zip code would vote at that polling location. That means only GT students. With upwards of 20,000 students, even if 20% of the students voted on campus, that would swamp a polling location. There would be no one from the "public" voting at GT.

Deleted member 2897

When I was a student, my GT PO Box was the address I used to register to vote, so I voted at Georgia Tech. Not so sure why you think everyone will vote in a different district. As a polling facility, only those in the 30332 zip code would vote at that polling location. That means only GT students. With upwards of 20,000 students, even if 20% of the students voted on campus, that would swamp a polling location. There would be no one from the "public" voting at GT.

If I were GT, I would take some time off a month early to help all the student athletes get their absentee ballots completed and mailed in.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As I am sure you are aware, the criteria for voting was at theat time left up to the states. There was no UNIVERSAL right to vote enshrine din our Constitution at the time of its founding.

There are some who would still argue that universal suffrage will only result in the poor eventually confiscating from the rich ....and that seems to be coming closer and closer to the truth each election cycle.

I am certainly not sure of the proper answer, as restrictions on voting were used to enforce racial exclusions which I believe is totally improper and despicable. But the other extreme is not a result that I do not find functionally useful either. Mob rule is definitely NOT what our funding fathers endorsed. And majority voting with universal suffrage is very getting disturbingly close to mob rule.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s just downright idiotic.

However, I’d think most college kids were registered to vote at their home of record not their college. They’d be voting absentee ballot, correct? This whole thing about giving them the day off is just bull, nonsensical. Even if they’re voting at their college, there’s nobody that’s so freaking busy from the time polling places open 7am to about 7pm that they can’t find an hour to line up to vote. Then there’s 10 days, maybe more of early voting.

You’d have to be an athlete taking 20 hrs (unicorn) so maybe you got 4 hrs of class on election day (Tuesday), 3 hrs of practice makes 7 hrs you’re busy. You got 5 freaking hrs to vote.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually thinks about what they read, hear, etc.
Of course they don't think about it Liberty! But it all SOUNDS and FEELS so good! That is all that matters.😉

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Of course they don't think about it Liberty! But it all SOUNDS and FEELS so good! That is all that matters.😉
He's thinking about it at too much of a micro level. Just because one athlete might follow his logic refusing to use their 3 extra hours to vote doesn't mean a massive number of student-athletes won't vote this year with their extra hours. I don't have data on voter participation among student athletes in 2016 but I'd wager the percentage goes up this year (for many reasons, but a main one being this break from practice).

When you make it as easy to vote as possible, more people vote, period.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
He's thinking about it at too much of a micro level. Just because one athlete might follow his logic refusing to use their 3 extra hours to vote doesn't mean a massive number of student-athletes won't vote this year with their extra hours. I don't have data on voter participation among student athletes in 2016 but I'd wager the percentage goes up this year (for many reasons, but a main one being this break from practice).

When you make it as easy to vote as possible, more people vote, period.
To be clear, I’m not in favor of making voting hard. Anything that makes our nation more representative of our electorate the better even if I don’t personally like what they’re voting for. It’s everybody’s country after all. We get the leadership we vote for, not necessarily the one we want or deserve and typically too few decide for too many.