Eclipse, Why Is the Media So Stupid? Last Eclipse 38 Years Ago WRONG

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Media continues to show stupidity. Claims that his is the first eclipse in 38 years.

Heck a "totality" eclipse went over Atlanta back in May 1984!

The 38 years is a west cost to east coast through the US and that the entire CONTINENTAL US can see at least a partial eclipse.

http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/eclipse/0231984/index.html

It's the media, do you expect them to know them there scientific thingys??????? ;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Media continues to show stupidity. Claims that his is the first eclipse in 38 years.

Heck a "totality" eclipse went over Atlanta back in May 1984!

The 38 years is a west cost to east coast through the US and that the entire CONTINENTAL US can see at least a partial eclipse.

http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/eclipse/0231984/index.html

That was actually an annular eclipse in 84. Our schools and media, way back then, were wrong or lied to us.

I'm sitting at the ampatheater in Clemson with wife and kids making sure we catch this one.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm in St. Louis, and just walked out into my back yard ...

giphy.gif

Well, the front edge of the moon has crossed the front edge of the sun. It won't be total for another hr or so

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so from my backyard, wearing the special glasses, I could see total eclipse, but I'm right on the edge. So, it didn't get night dark for me.

I tried to upload a picture of the moon, but it was too large. ... story of my life.

The bugs/birds in the trees went crazy for the 2 min of total eclipse. It was wild.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I am up at my brother's place, near Clayton GA--right smack dab in the middle of the path of totality. This was not my first eclipse, but it was my first experience of a total eclipse. I can't begin to describe how spectacular it was. Everything changed for 2-1/2 minutes. 90%, 95%, 99% simply cannot compare to experiencing totality.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am up at my brother's place, near Clayton GA--right smack dab in the middle of the path of totality. This was not my first eclipse, but it was my first experience of a total eclipse. I can't begin to describe how spectacular it was. Everything changed for 2-1/2 minutes. 90%, 95%, 99% simply cannot compare to experiencing totality.

How dsrk didyall get?

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
In Greenville SC we had total coverage and it was honestly the coolest thing I have ever seen. Had the diamond ring effect coming and going. Pictures will not do justice to seeing it in person. I owe a massive thanks to the scientist who did all the work for me to know exactly when it would happen.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
How dsrk didyall get?
When totality hit, it was was like going from early dusk to full dark, at the drop of a hat. The sky didn't quite get dark enough to see the stars with your naked eye (we could see a couple planets; I'll have to do some research to figure out which ones).

I think part of the problem with seeing stars was that the totality did not last long enough for our eyes to dark-adapt. I'm looking forward to see my wife's photos--she had a good digital camera set up, with a telephoto lens, tripod, and eclipse filters.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sun was almost straight up but the brightest part of the sky was the horizon. I could only make out a couple of planets also, most notably one I'm guessing was Jupiter, it was pretty bright.

Really cool and not comparable to the 84 eclipse.