Eastern Kentucky - Opening Weekend

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not to mention Holland is playing over one of the best frosh prospects in the country.

David Seifert at D1 picked Kevin as the Freshman of the Year. So amazing depth at the position right now. Great if we can alternate them; even change out in a game if one is better defensively and the other has the better bat. Before yesterday, I would think the better bat could be Kevin. But Jake hit the ball so well yesterday. The one line drive out almost knocked the 2B down when it was hit to him.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
David Seifert at D1 picked Kevin as the Freshman of the Year. So amazing depth at the position right now. Great if we can alternate them; even change out in a game if one is better defensively and the other has the better bat. Before yesterday, I would think the better bat could be Kevin. But Jake hit the ball so well yesterday. The one line drive out almost knocked the 2B down when it was hit to him.
Who is the fool on ACCNX that just called us Ga. Tech. University?

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I did not get to watch any of this game, but the box score looks like a nightmare for our pitching. TEN walks, 4 WP, and why, oh why did we leave Dal Smith in to get hammered?

Just cannot pitch that poorly and expect to be a top program. I am extremely disappointed.

Deleted member 2897

I did not get to watch any of this game, but the box score looks like a nightmare for our pitching. TEN walks, 4 WP, and why, oh why did we leave Dal Smith in to get hammered?

Just cannot pitch that poorly and expect to be a top program. I am extremely disappointed.

Yep, we have these every year and it’s always frustrating. No excuse.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I made fun of UGA for losing to Evansville yesterday, but dropping one game on opening weekend really is not big deal. It’s hard to sweep a series in baseball, no matter who you’re playing. EKU isn’t a bad team. They took one from LSU last year and are much, much better than Evansville. We should win the series tomorrow, but losing today will not affect the season one bit. We lost a game to St. John’s opening weekend last year, and to Richmond in 2019.

Archer in his first career start looked rough early but settled in. Roedig made his first bullpen appearance since early 2019, and his first appearance coming off an injury. Was wild as he has a tendency to be, but I will expect him to look a lot more comfortable when he gets his weekend role back. King worked out of trouble nicely, while Smith was uncharacteristically wild. Reid misplaying that ball in right probably didn’t help Smith’s mentality much, but those things happen and he’ll have to learn to work through it.

Had a lot of opportunities to put runs on the board and came away with nothing multiple times.

Not a good game all the way around, as even Luke had mishaps in the field. I would think Maxwell piggy backs off Crawford tomorrow, and they try to get 3-4 innings out of each of them. No idea what EKU has to pitch on Sunday, but they’ve used a lot of arms and mid-majors usually struggle with pitching depth. Wouldn’t surprise me if tomorrow turned into a 15-8 type of game.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I made fun of UGA for losing to Evansville yesterday, but dropping one game on opening weekend really is not big deal. It’s hard to sweep a series in baseball, no matter who you’re playing. EKU isn’t a bad team. They took one from LSU last year and are much, much better than Evansville. We should win the series tomorrow, but losing today will not affect the season one bit. We lost a game to St. John’s opening weekend last year, and to Richmond in 2019.

Archer in his first career start looked rough early but settled in. Roedig made his first bullpen appearance since early 2019, and his first appearance coming off an injury. Was wild as he has a tendency to be, but I will expect him to look a lot more comfortable when he gets his weekend role back. King worked out of trouble nicely, while Smith was uncharacteristically wild. Reid misplaying that ball in right probably didn’t help Smith’s mentality much, but those things happen and he’ll have to learn to work through it.

Had a lot of opportunities to put runs on the board and came away with nothing multiple times.

Not a good game all the way around, as even Luke had mishaps in the field. I would think Maxwell piggy backs off Crawford tomorrow, and they try to get 3-4 innings out of each of them. No idea what EKU has to pitch on Sunday, but they’ve used a lot of arms and mid-majors usually struggle with pitching depth. Wouldn’t surprise me if tomorrow turned into a 15-8 type of game.
Yeah, I'm not concerned at all. Even if we lose tomorrow I'm not going to be worried. To me, it looks like everyone is rusty right now because a lot of guys really haven't thrown or seen a competitive pitch in over a year. That's tough to bounce back from, so I expect to see a lot of improvement as guys get re-adjusted to playing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well yesterday was disappointing, but just need to win today. We are now 10-1 against EKU who played a very smart game yesterday in making us make pitches when we couldn't. 223 pitches in 9 innings? That is unacceptable. Throw in our unusual errors (2) by Waddell and lack of timely hitting, EKU deserved to win.

We left 12 on base and EKU left 13 on base. So both lacked timely hitting. And we had some really nice defensive plays including throwing out a runner at home from deep center.

It's our pitching that was consistently the biggest disappointment overall but there were some brighter spots. 11 BB and 1 HBP. Yuk.
King was really sharp. Mannelly and Archer were OKish.
Roedig and Medich were sub par and Smith had the worst performance of the day. How much was rust or the cold (it was cold for all but affects people differently), we'll see. Not encouraging . Here are the bloody details:
1613922202580.png

Now I can flush. Sting Em Tech!!

Deleted member 2897

Well yesterday was disappointing, but just need to win today. We are now 10-1 against EKU who played a very smart game yesterday in making us make pitches when we couldn't. 223 pitches in 9 innings? That is unacceptable. Throw in our unusual errors (2) by Waddell and lack of timely hitting, EKU deserved to win.

We left 12 on base and EKU left 13 on base. So both lacked timely hitting. And we had some really nice defensive plays including throwing out a runner at home from deep center.

It's our pitching that was consistently the biggest disappointment overall but there were some brighter spots. 11 BB and 1 HBP. Yuk.
King was really sharp. Mannelly and Archer were OKish.
Roedig and Medich were sub par and Smith had the worst performance of the day. How much was rust or the cold (it was cold for all but affects people differently), we'll see. Not encouraging . Here are the bloody details:
View attachment 9918

Now I can flush. Sting Em Tech!!

Yep, they had nine runs, yet still averaged a runner and a half left on base each inning even on top of that. Just awful.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great game. 127 total pitches! And a shutout as the one run was unearned (Crawford throwing error.)

Not enough clutch hitting with 11 LOB but 7 runs. Fielding by Malloy was a highlight!

EKU is well coached. Would have been nice for a sweep, but win the series, learn and flush.

On to Mercer Wednesday at 4. Weather looks great.