Early signing period

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CPJ supports early signing period

“I think it’s good,” Johnson said. “I’d find a time once they finish their junior year of high school. Everybody got 85 total scholarships, and you’d have 25 you could sign every year. If the kids wanted to sign, they could go ahead and sign. If they didn’t qualify, you lost the scholarship. It would stop all the foolishness with committing."

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
CPJ supports early signing period

“I think it’s good,” Johnson said. “I’d find a time once they finish their junior year of high school. Everybody got 85 total scholarships, and you’d have 25 you could sign every year. If the kids wanted to sign, they could go ahead and sign. If they didn’t qualify, you lost the scholarship. It would stop all the foolishness with committing."

I have seen him say "if they don't qualify you lose the scholarship" a couple times but what would that mean? How can a school "lose" one? That sounds permanent. Does he mean that if you let a kid sign and then it turns out he can't get past admissions by the time school starts then you are not allowed to fill that empty slot in any capacity for one year? For four years? So you cannot give it to a deserving walk-on on the squad for the season?

When Junior Gnonkonde, Travis Custis, or Myles Autry all ended up unable to enroll at Tech what is CPJ thinking it should have meant penalty-wise to his own program based on this statement?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have seen him say "if they don't qualify you lose the scholarship" a couple times but what would that mean? How can a school "lose" one? That sounds permanent. Does he mean that if you let a kid sign and then it turns out he can't get past admissions by the time school starts then you are not allowed to fill that empty slot in any capacity for one year? For four years? So you cannot give it to a deserving walk-on on the squad for the season?

When Junior Gnonkonde, Travis Custis, or Myles Autry all ended up unable to enroll at Tech what is CPJ thinking it should have meant penalty-wise to his own program based on this statement?
I think he is referring to NCAA minimum requirements.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
He's saying the kid will lose the scholarship if they don't qualify to be admitted to the school. The team would then have that scholarship to give someone else.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think he is referring to NCAA minimum requirements.
That still doesn't answer my question. I am asking what he has in mind about "losing" the scholarship. He seems to be thinking of something additional happening other than a team not having that kid enroll. But when that occurs the program can still use that scholarship on a transfer, unsigned kid, or walk-on that same year.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He's saying the kid will lose the scholarship if they don't qualify to be admitted to the school. The team would then have that scholarship to give someone else.
No, I think he is addressing the propensity of sec schools to sign kids, who they know will not meet NCAA academic requirements, and then direct them to a friendly junior college.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
So "you" in "If they didn't qualify, you lose the scholarship" refers to the recruit, the "they"? I know CPJ is from the Carolina mountains but his grammar is not usually that misleading.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That still doesn't answer my question. I am asking what he has in mind about "losing" the scholarship. He seems to be thinking of something additional happening other than a team not having that kid enroll. But when that occurs the program can still use that scholarship on a transfer, unsigned kid, or walk-on that same year.
He is saying the school will lose that scholarship against the annual 25 count.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
No, I think he is addressing the propensity of sec schools to sign kids, who they know will not meet NCAA academic requirements, and then direct them to a friendly junior college.
Right, he seems to want to address some issue with a penalty. So what is this penalty of "losing" a scholarship? Does it mean a team must play that next season with 84 scholly players?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
He is saying the school will lose that scholarship against the annual 25 count.
That would probably be the only way I agree with his thought about a penalty for non-qualifiers. It would suggest he is thinking of a way to try and stop oversigning. He has said this a couple times already though and never made it clear that is what he is thinking about.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right, he seems to want to address some issue with a penalty. So what is this penalty of "losing" a scholarship? Does it mean a team must play that next season with 84 scholly players?
My understanding from hearing him address this earlier, was that it counted against the annual count, not the total. This addresses a problem caused by the sec gaming the system.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
With this many questions on just one message board maybe there needs to be a cooling off period, so to speak. I would not be as strong as "hypocrisy", but clearly it tilts toward the schools, and it does seem kind of halfway, a month and a half early. That does nothing to relieve the recruiting pressure on a player's senior season. Giving the kids a walkaway clause is good though bet a lot of coaching change announcements would be delayed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That would probably be the only way I agree with his thought about a penalty for non-qualifiers. It would suggest he is thinking of a way to try and stop oversigning. He has said this a couple times already though and never made it clear that is what he is thinking about.
He's saying that it's one of the 25 that year. If you can't get him in school, you've lost the scholarship player. You could turn around and give it to anyone at that point, but it's now June/August, and walk-on's are most likely the only ones available for that year.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Having an early signing period in December makes no sense to me, unless the kid is going to be an early enrollee. Thus, a three- or four-day period in late August would be better, IMHO. If a kids knows for sure, then he knows for sure and sign. However, some under-the-radar, uncommitted recruits actually have great senior years, which gets coaches' attention. Those guys, as well as the ones who want to play games and have five OVs, can sign the first Wed in February.