Early signing period

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, this could put a whole new spin on, "If you're still looking, we're still looking."

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Interesting in that the comment at the bottom only points out the advantages to the schools....no more wasting time and $ babysitting prospects. No mention at all of how it will help the SA by decreasing the amount of time he wastes dealing with coaches at other schools after he makes a decision. Typical hypocrisy.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This would be a great thing for GT. I worry that the factories will sabotage this somehow. That status quo works fine for them. They are fine with wheeling and dealing to the last minute, and if they lose one or two at the at crunch time, raiding the non-factories works for them.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Great start. Wish they'd do one in August or September. Would see which schools are willing to honor their offer even if player gets hurt during their senior season in HS.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this will help teams like Tech slightly since most of the top recruits we get on O are not what other schools would deem the class of the field. Given the opportunity, I think many of our O prospects would indeed sign up early. Oth, I think it will not have much effect on the decisions of most players, unless they have a solid decision in mind. We can only wait and see, I suppose.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Aren't all other sports on the Spring/Fall signing schedule and recruits can sign early or wait? Don't see why football doesn't follow the same recruiting calendar. I mean, over 50% of our class was finished before we kicked off the 2014 season.

I think there should be a Spring signing period for rising seniors, and if the HC of the school the kid signs with leaves or gets fired, they are automatically released to open up their recruiting again if they so choose. It would certainly eliminate the guys that are using schools as "place holders" and wasting everyone's time.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there should be a Spring signing period for rising seniors, and if the HC of the school the kid signs with leaves or gets fired, they are automatically released to open up their recruiting again if they so choose. It would certainly eliminate the guys that are using schools as "place holders" and wasting everyone's time.

I'd suggest a signing period during the last week of August. This should coincide with the beginning of the HS Football season and would allow players to focus on their senior year, especially if they are truly committed to the school they sign with. I like your idea of an automatic release if the Head Coach leaves prior to signing day. Colleges/Universities would save a LOT of money, whenever this signing period is offered.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I don't think it's the panacea but it's a first step. Just getting the "powers that be" to agree to an earlier signing date is a big step. Those kids who want to wait until signing day to choose the hat...well now, there's going to be another signing day earlier in the process.

But many will realize that December is a poor time to do this because of bowls/playoffs, etc. And hopefully, we will eventually end up with a July or August early signing period.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
So I wonder if now kids who don't sign early essentially become equivalent to kids still wanting to visit other schools in Johnson's eyes.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
So I wonder if now kids who don't sign early essentially become equivalent to kids still wanting to visit other schools in Johnson's eyes.

I would think that coaches will ask the prospect if they are comfortable with committing by the early signing period. If they are not, the coach may ask the prospect to wait until they are ready to commit, given the expectation is no more OVs after committing.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think that coaches will ask the prospect if they are comfortable with committing by the early signing period. If they are not, the coach may ask the prospect to wait until they are ready to commit, given the expectation is no more OVs after committing.
This. If you're not ready to sign in December, then don't commit. If you're committed and refuse to sign, then you're not committed, so we look elsewhere.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Would we pull offer and start recruiting position again if they don't sign?

Well, I think we probably would have to if they have verbally committed. If a kid is this close to February, and he still is hesitating, then he is most likely using us as a reservation just in case. Of course, this would not apply to kids we are still recruiting that have NOT committed verbally.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If someone isn't finished looking and ready to sign by December, then they are not committed at that time. To me that means the slot is open for someone else. Goes both ways. I fa team doesn't give a kid a "binding" offer, then it isn't a full offer.