Early New Year's Six predictions

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Insider Article from ESPN. Disses the ACC, but respects GT: http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ew-year-six-predictions?ex_cid=espnapi_public

The only part worth mentioning:
Peach Bowl: Georgia Tech-Boise State
i
i
Yes, I have only one ACC representative, and it's not Florida State or Clemson. Those teams both lost half of their starters from last season, and both are inexperienced on the offensive line. They've recruited well enough to prove me wrong, but I'm going with Georgia Tech to win the league. I like the experience on defense, and the returning talent on offense is where it needs to be for a team like this -- at QB and on the O-line. Boise State returns 16 starters, including almost everyone in the trenches. Combine that with recent success, and there's no logical reason to like any other team for the Group of 5 spot.

Other Predictions if you're curious:

Predicted New Year's Six matchups

Orange Bowl (national semi): Ohio State-USC
i
i
By my estimation, the Buckeyes will be the only landslide favorite to win a Power 5 conference this year, and they are the team I feel most confident in seeing in next season's playoff. USC meets my criteria for QB play and recruiting, and the Trojans have all starters returning on the offensive line. That's why I'm taking them to win the Pac-12 despite lingering depth issues and a schedule that features hand-wringing road games against Arizona State, Notre Dame and Oregon.

Cotton Bowl (national semi): Auburn-Oklahoma State
i
i
This goes back to my early point about the top four at the end of the regular season usually having representatives from outside the preseason top 10. I'm not sure if Auburn will fit that description, but Oklahoma State surely would if it continues the streak of surprise Big 12 champions. The Cowboys need to find consistent QB play, but except for last season, that's rarely been an issue for them under Mike Gundy. And they have eight starters back on each side of the ball, plus a schedule that has them hosting TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma in November. Auburn is much like Ohio State last year, in that it changes QBs but does so within a scheme that has allowed first-year starters to have success. Also like the 2014 Buckeyes, the Tigers have made an upgrade at defensive coordinator. And this year's road schedule, even though it includes trips to LSU and Texas A&M, is much more manageable than last year's.

Rose Bowl: Michigan-Oregon
i
i
This game is guaranteed to be Big Ten versus Pac-12, and I'm going out on a major limb by taking Michigan to have first-year magic under Jim Harbaugh (remember, Brady Hoke reached the Sugar in his first year). What I like is that Michigan has recruited well in recent years and has the most returning starters in the conference. Harbaugh must find a productive QB, but having all starters back on the offensive line helps, as does a schedule that sends Michigan State and Ohio State to Ann Arbor. The season opener at Utah is a huge game for this prediction. On the other side, I'm thinking Oregon loses the Pac-12 title game to USC but doesn't fall from the top 10 without Marcus Mariota. I chose the Ducks over UCLA for this spot, because they have a better track record of replacing productive QBs without too much trouble.

Sugar Bowl: Tennessee-Baylor
i
i
I wanted to pick one more surprise, and this is it. But there are good reasons to like Tennessee, even though the Vols may still be a year away from being a top-10-caliber team. Joshua Dobbs was inserted to the lineup halfway through last season but still managed to finish 21st in Total QBR and looks like a star in the making. Tennessee has 18 returning starters and plenty of experience on both sides of the line. The Vols also are coming off back-to-back top-five recruiting classes. And while no SEC schedule is easy, only the trip to Tuscaloosa looks like a probable loss. Ten wins for this team isn't a stretch. On the other side, Baylor over TCU for this spot was maybe the toughest decision I had to make. In the end, I think TCU's road schedule is more difficult, and Baylor has the experience playing with a target on its back that TCU lacks.

Fiesta Bowl: Notre Dame-Alabama
i
i
I understand if you're rolling your eyes over Notre Dame. This doesn't have anything to do with the bowl win over LSU, aside from the revelation that the Irish should be solid at QB no matter what happens with Everett Golson. They have 19 starters back, and those guys also come from highly rated recruiting classes. The schedule has a few potential pitfalls, but I think Notre Dame could lose twice and still reach a New Year's Six game. And then there's Alabama. Stellar recruiting has loaded the roster enough for me to keep the Tide in a major bowl, but there are too many questions at quarterback and on the offensive line for me to think this team is a national title contender right now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I never would have picked TCU, Baylor, Ohio St., or us to have finished as well in 2014. His predictions are probably as good as the "experts".

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I never would have picked TCU, Baylor, Ohio St., or us to have finished as well in 2014. His predictions are probably as good as the "experts".
OSU was undefeated in 2013 and Baylor was pretty much a unanimous pick for a New Years six bowl last preseason. TCU had pretty high expectations as well. They were only bad in 2013 due to replacing their entire team.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
OSU was undefeated in 2013 and Baylor was pretty much a unanimous pick for a New Years six bowl last preseason. TCU had pretty high expectations as well. They were only bad in 2013 due to replacing their entire team.
I still would not have picked them to be in the playoffs.