EA sports NCAA football game coming back

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Btw they dropped the NCAA from the title. Curious if they dropped it due to thinking teams will eventually leave the NCAA and it would hurt branding to do a name change down the road.

It's now called "EA Sports College Football".

This gives them a name flexible to whatever happens in the ever changing college football world.

I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC/Big 10/ACC leave the NCAA in the next 10-15 years
Yeah, it's smart positioning. I found an article that goes a little more in depth about the NIL issues and plans: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/02/02/ea-sports-college-football/

Relevant quotes:

"The game will include school names, logos, traditions, fight songs, mascots, colors, uniforms and stadiums. Navigating around potentially litigious NIL matter was a delicate matter, and barring users from being able to customize players to their liking was an important stipulation for the schools, said Cory Moss, CLC’s chief executive. EA Sports was able to do a trial run of sorts with recent Madden titles, which incorporated a handful of college team options but did not include specific players.
“We wanted to work with EA just in that small module to see how they could work to formulate the rosters and work with the schools on the approval process to make sure there wasn’t any possibility of using any current student-athlete’s name, image and likeness,” he said.

Weber signaled EA Sports’ interest in pursuing rights to college player likenesses should they become available, saying also there is no way to do so at the moment. “We’re designing the game so it can stand on its own without the use of player, name, image likeness,” Weber said, adding that EA “will be ready and excited to participate in a future when those rights become available.”"

Milwaukee

Banned
Really thought Madden was very playable around 17/18. It's always been based on canned animations, but at least you were supposed to find your progressions in the passing game. Then they brought in superstar abilities which turned it back into Tecmo Bowl.

Later NCAA games were known for a lack of defense where any offense works so...that's pretty much how the real game works today :)
Both franchises have been completely broken since the game engine switch from ps2 to ps3.
I feel sorry for the cats that think ncaa14 on ps3 is the cat’s meow. It’s fun and by far the best ps3 version, but those ps2 titles hit different. I still play them regularly with the real rosters.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yeah, it's smart positioning. I found an article that goes a little more in depth about the NIL issues and plans: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/02/02/ea-sports-college-football/

Relevant quotes:

"The game will include school names, logos, traditions, fight songs, mascots, colors, uniforms and stadiums. Navigating around potentially litigious NIL matter was a delicate matter, and barring users from being able to customize players to their liking was an important stipulation for the schools, said Cory Moss, CLC’s chief executive. EA Sports was able to do a trial run of sorts with recent Madden titles, which incorporated a handful of college team options but did not include specific players.
“We wanted to work with EA just in that small module to see how they could work to formulate the rosters and work with the schools on the approval process to make sure there wasn’t any possibility of using any current student-athlete’s name, image and likeness,” he said.

Weber signaled EA Sports’ interest in pursuing rights to college player likenesses should they become available, saying also there is no way to do so at the moment. “We’re designing the game so it can stand on its own without the use of player, name, image likeness,” Weber said, adding that EA “will be ready and excited to participate in a future when those rights become available.”"
So wait, there’s no edit rosters function? If we can’t get real rosters then it’s a hard no for me.
That’s absolutely horrible.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Just randomly generate the Players. there’s a group of guys who update the players every year for 14, they would so the same for this.

Milwaukee

Banned
Just randomly generate the Players. there’s a group of guys who update the players every year for 14, they would so the same for this.
It sounds like they are doing away with the edit feature though, if I read the above correctly. The roster community is amazing, but it sounds like EA had to nuke it in order for them to proceed.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Both franchises have been completely broken since the game engine switch from ps2 to ps3.
I feel sorry for the cats that think ncaa14 on ps3 is the cat’s meow. It’s fun and by far the best ps3 version, but those ps2 titles hit different. I still play them regularly with the real rosters.
I’ve always thought this. The PS2 games were far better than the PS3 ones. The PS3 games looked better, but something always felt off to me about the way the players moved. I’ve only played a handful of games of PS4 Madden because I stopped buying them, so the only time I play is at a friends house. The PS4 games feel even worse than the PS3, and Madden 21 on PS5 looks ridiculous. Player movement looks so goofy.

NCAA 06 on PS2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I sunk an ungodly amount of hours into that game.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’ve always thought this. The PS2 games were far better than the PS3 ones. The PS3 games looked better, but something always felt off to me about the way the players moved. I’ve only played a handful of games of PS4 Madden because I stopped buying them, so the only time I play is at a friends house. The PS4 games feel even worse than the PS3, and Madden 21 on PS5 looks ridiculous. Player movement looks so goofy.

NCAA 06 on PS2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I sunk an ungodly amount of hours into that game.
Hell yes. 06 and 04 are the tits, especially if you grab the real rosters off eBay. 06 is the goat 🐐, and we are absolutely STACKED in that game. You can’t block Eric Henderson and can’t defend Calvin. I crush fools.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Relevant quotes:

This makes me wonder if they are going to try and make rosters uneditable. Which....SUCKS. May not be able to change players names or weight/height/ or anything. Maybe not even number.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Hell yes. 06 and 04 are the tits, especially if you grab the real rosters off eBay. 06 is the goat 🐐, and we are absolutely STACKED in that game. You can’t block Eric Henderson and can’t defend Calvin. I crush fools.
06. Man the nostalgia. Still remember everyone from the soundtrack

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would be awesome if they would re-release ncaa 14 for the current gens at a discount to hold us over. They could randomize the roster, but I’m sure all those kids have graduated unless there are some BYU holdovers lol.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's truly amazing how a game this popular was absolutely botched. There was never any reason to use real players' likenesses. How did they not foresee that could be a problem? Ed O'bannon told them in like 1994, right?

As long as they had the 'ok' to use real schools (which they did), that's all that matters to people.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It's truly amazing how a game this popular was absolutely botched. There was never any reason to use real players' likenesses. How did they not foresee that could be a problem? Ed O'bannon told them in like 1994, right?

As long as they had the 'ok' to use real schools (which they did), that's all that matters to people.
I believe NCAA Football did a better job at not having a likeness to the player. What really shot EA Sports in the foot was the basketball series. Less players and they were much closer in looks.

The dumb thing is anyone could could claim likeness just based on a combo of skin color and hair. If you're a white longhaired Olineman and your character in the game is a longhaired Olineman and you share the same number then you could claim likeness. This is extremely broad. Short of flipping all skin colors they were screwed unless they randomized everyone's number which would be annoying.

I am reading now they will not let players be editable in the future game until they can settle on the rights for players likeness in the game. This prevents the NCAA community from making players similar to the real life players and sharing it for download. (Again this sucks) I loved being able to run over guys with Dwyer, and have Nesbitt break off a 35 yard TD run.

I will settle for being able to have the game back, but long term they will need to either allow the community to edit players or get rights to players likeness in the game. The MINIMUM they could do is make the coaches DEAD ON. I want Collins, Choice, Key, Thacker all in the game lol. All that free time from not programming 75+ guys look similar to the real life players, they can DEFINTELY make the coaches look crazy realistic.

Milwaukee

Banned
O’Bannon was the first to cry about it and Keller (the QB from Arizona St) took it to the next level, like big crybaby type stuff, after his career didn’t pan out.
Larry Fitzgerald used to talk about how cool it was to play the game in his dorm as himself, he thought it was awesome.
To each their own, but people who want to be offended will always find a way to be.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Watch Road to Glory you will have to spend real life money to upgrade your player. Dynasty mode will take a back seat to a Ultimate Team mode.
All they need to do Is just give me what was in 14 if they do Like madden did in madden 13 and rebuild it then It's gonna be sad to see