Drownproofing

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My father (IM 64) & I (CE 90) were recently discussing "how times have changed" stuff. Among the topics was the long gone requirement to take Drownproofing at Tech.

Thought I'd ask the forum some things he & I "wondered"...

1) Is there any data or anecdotal evidence the course was directly or indirectly attributed to saving lives?
2) It's our understanding the course was developed at Tech by a member of the faculty... did the course spread to other universities?
3) What was the rationale behind eliminating the requirement? I enrolled in 1986 & it was no longer required at that point.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My father (IM 64) & I (CE 90) were recently discussing "how times have changed" stuff. Among the topics was the long gone requirement to take Drownproofing at Tech.

1) Is there any data or anecdotal evidence the course was directly or indirectly attributed to saving lives?
2) It's our understanding the course was developed at Tech by a member of the faculty... did the course spread to other universities?
3) What was the rationale behind eliminating the requirement? I enrolled in 1986 & it was no longer required at that point.
My understanding is those enrolled under the 1986-87 catalog (that's my graduating catalog year too) were the first class to not be required to take drownproofing. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told when I took Fitness: Theory & Evaluation in Summer '87 quarter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I took a swimming clas in college (not at Tech) that sounds exactly like “drownproofing.”

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I wonder if it was a state of Georgia requirement at some point. My mother attended a junior college in south Georgia that required a swimming class in order to graduate. She was there in the early 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at GT from 1968 to 1973. Student body still heavily male dominated.
Drown proofing was a mandatory Freshman class along with track and gymnastics.
All three PE courses were Male only.
What I was told at the time:
Drown proofing course was developed by GT during WWII when it was heavily involved with military training. I think our instructor was named McCauley ( not certain) and was told he developed it. He used to wear weights in the pool to "float " at chest level.
We were told that even with broken arms and legs we could still survive based on the course. To make an A had to swim two lengths of the pool underwater. Had not taking swimming or drown proofing in south Atlanta during my high school years. Played several sports in HS but made a C and knew I would be drowning later in life based on the course results. Yes, I hated or very much dreaded the drown proofing course.
My HS friends were taking regular PE courses.
Don't know when it was dropped, but again ( apologize if this is in error) this was not a coed type course.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Drown proofing course was developed by GT during WWII when it was heavily involved with military training. I think our instructor was named McCauley ( not certain) and was told he developed it. He used to wear weights in the pool to "float " at chest level.
We were told that even with broken arms and legs we could still survive based on the course. To make an A had to swim two lengths of the pool underwater. Had not taking swimming or drown proofing in south Atlanta during my high school years. Played several sports in HS but made a C and knew I would be drowning later in life based on the course results. Yes, I hated or very much dreaded the drown proofing course.
Don't know when it was dropped, but again ( apologize if this is in error) this was not a coed type course.
That sounds like the same thing that Cadets at West Point have to take.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Co-ed in 1978.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We had a football player with like no body fat in my class. He was muscle heavy, and definitely disadvantaged.

I wouldn't be surprised if football recruiting was connected with elimination of drownproofing requirement.

Also, latest Toddcast made it sound like people had forgotten our drownproofing pool was even there.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
Great class. Coach: "There are sinkers and floaters...everyone in the water and we'll find out..."
Geez... I forgot about gymnastics..the two rings - iron cross ? hell I was happy to hit the rings for a "y".
I remember the track class. Bobby Dodd was astro turf, the south end zone curved to the track and we had Rat bleachers.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
Feet tied , float, then dive to bottom of pool and pick up rubber brick (deep end).
Arms tied , float, and then dive to bottom of pool and pick up rubber ring/donut with teeth.
With arms and legs tied, float, pick up ring again.
Final exam: Swim 2 lengths under water. From wall no dive start...
Crazy hydro mojo...
If you get a leg cramp in the water -pinch the tissue between your nostrils to end it.

Last edited: