Drew Brees Is Now A Free Agent

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Drew Brees QB of the Saints is now a free agent and even if he winds up on another team in 2018 his 18 million dollar contract for 2017 counts against the 2018 salary cap of the New Orleans Saints. I think the Saints could very well cut their losses and trade him somewhere like to the Cleveland Browns,Chicago Bears,NY Giants,Houston Texans,Jacksonville Jaguars or Denver Broncos

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/14/will-drew-brees-stay-with-the-saints/

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
At times NO looked like the best team in the league this year and they have a ton of young playmakers. Brees just turned 39 and I guarantee he has another 2-3 years in him. They’d be absolute idiots to not try to win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years. Mark Ingram will probably be done physically before Brees.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
He is a great QB. And would have multiple rings on his hand if he played his career just about anywhere. No way he goes anywhere else.

...said everyone about Peyton Manning prior to 2016. Oh wait no they didn’t. Just saying even the 2nd best QB of our generation needed more than good teams to win more than 1 ring.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
...said everyone about Peyton Manning prior to 2016. Oh wait no they didn’t. Just saying even the 2nd best QB of our generation needed more than good teams to win more than 1 ring.

Brees has been surrounded by trash his entire career.

Just look at little manning. He is a garbage QB and has 2 rings just because he has been surrounded with playmakers.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes and also some extreme good fortune of heating-up at just the right time and catching lighting in a bottle. We’ll have to do a little research but I’d suspect Brees’s “trash” in N.O. has a better overall W-L record over the same span as the Giants

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Yes and also some extreme good fortune of heating-up at just the right time and catching lighting in a bottle. We’ll have to do a little research but I’d suspect Brees’s “trash” in N.O. has a better overall W-L record over the same span as the Giants

Without research I would agree they might have a better record. That is because Brees is so good. NO has some of the best fans in football. They have a great place to play football. It seems they are finally committing to develop a great football team and not rely on just one guy. NO defense has been terrible for years and you see this year its a great deal better. They are also committing to the run again. for the past few years they just relied on Brees arm. I am not a Saints fan but I think they have one of the top 3 QB's playing the game currently.

jeffgt14

It's called defense. Peyton has always had better playmakers on offense than Eli. He generally also had one of the best offensive lines in the league early on in Indy. Eli's rings came from great defense and his ability to make some clutch plays.

Brees has had great skill position players on offense. NO just always has had one of the worst D's in the league until this year.

Just look at the teams left. All great defenses. New England's D sucked early on but they've played like a top 15 D recently and know how to make you play left handed against them.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It's called defense. Peyton has always had better playmakers on offense than Eli. He generally also had one of the best offensive lines in the league early on in Indy. Eli's rings came from great defense and his ability to make some clutch plays.

Brees has had great skill position players on offense. NO just always has had one of the worst D's in the league until this year.

Just look at the teams left. All great defenses. New England's D sucked early on but they've played like a top 15 D recently and know how to make you play left handed against them.
Keeping Brees may put the Saints in a terrible spot salary cap wise in the years to come. The Saints have been pretty poor at managing the salary cap in the last decade. If I were NO I would trade Brees for what I can get for him and draft a successor to Brees in the NFL Draft.

jeffgt14

Keeping Brees may put the Saints in a terrible spot salary cap wise in the years to come. The Saints have been pretty poor at managing the salary cap in the last decade. If I were NO I would trade Brees for what I can get for him and draft a successor to Brees in the NFL Draft.
No. You trade Mark Ingram and try to find some sucker to take Coby Fleener with him.