Does the AD need to be hired first before a coach?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Auburn boosters maybe? Is Auburn itself directing where to donate NIL money?
Auburn set up a whole new organization to deal with NIL. Rather than pay a coach $10M a year, they think a good coach for half of that and then an organization that pays players. Yoke for example, is one that can be used to pay players for their take on a game, or ask them a question ... and they get paid by the minute (actually, it's 15 min I think).

There's no question some players are going to make bank.

JacketFan137

Banned
This. The fact that Neville and Cabrera understand that the NIL landscape is important, and they want someone who understands it is impressive to me. Maybe we can stop with the "GT isn't going to compete with another school if NIL is involved" talk. As you said, acknowledging that it's something that GT needs to be competitive with is the first step.
there’s a lot of defeatist fans in this fanbase that just want to reminisce about the old days instead of accept current reality. we brag about having these impossibly difficult degrees in engineering and a great business school yet somehow when faced with a problem (NIL Landscape) we are complaining and tucking tail. the brains from the top down should be figuring out a way to make this work FOR US, the georgia tech way, rather than just refuse to try.

cabrera saying that he cared about that was impressive and hopefully his actions line up with his words

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Auburn set up a whole new organization to deal with NIL. Rather than pay a coach $10M a year, they think a good coach for half of that and then an organization that pays players. Yoke for example, is one that can be used to pay players for their take on a game, or ask them a question ... and they get paid by the minute (actually, it's 15 min I think).

There's no question some players are going to make bank.

But is that run by the university? It was my understanding that the university cannot be involved with either the NIL collection or disbursement.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Ironically, this ("In the new world of college football, we need to focus on paying players, not coaches.") is what Auburn figured out about a month after hiring Harsin.
Exactly, coaching salaries are the arms race of old. The new college football world will be defined by paying players, not recruiting them.