Does the AD need to be hired first before a coach?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Interesting background on the interim AD. 15yrs in the state dept. as a diploma, former college athlete, former/current? amateur bodybuilder.

Not sure how it matters, but Pres. Cabrera is really surprising me in a positive sense
Possible tryout for the permanent job. Think about it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The likelihood of us hiring a coach before the end of the season is low, as we will most likely be gunning for a coach not willing to leave his team before the end of the regular season. We will probably land on a new AD and hire that person in the next month or so.
I agree the coach wouldn’t leave mid season, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t agree to and execute contracts for next year without making public - low likelihood these days, especially since an open records request could probably reveal the contract. But I’m guessing we will land on a new coach at least verbally before year end. Now - hopefully we are smart enough to have a backup lined up…

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh good. Can’t wait for the news to break that PES fleeced us on the search firm cost. I’m sure we’ll hand them more than whatever the market rate for a dumbass search firm is. Tennessee paid $120k each plus to find their AD and football coach last year. I’m sure we’ll end up paying them well over that amount, because we’re Georgia Tech and we can do that.
Tennessee is doing better than they have in years...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee is doing better than they have in years...
$120K? That's NOTHING for a search firm. I'm surprised it's that low.

Agreed on UT. Heupal is quietly and confidently coaching and preparing. He is not Mr Flash. But is a good, solid coach. They finally have stability in the program and a general sense of "Tennessee is back".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This answers the thread title:

Also, Neville seems VERY knowledegable about the current NCAA landscape, and has been impressive with his knowledge so far. This guy has done his homework. I can see why Cabrera named him interim.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't doing what the donors want largely why GT has come to this?
Giving boosters a say almost never works well. Look at Auburn, Alabama pre-Saban, LSU pre-Saban (hell, go back to the 30s when the biggest booster was also the governor of Louisiana. How many titles did Huey Long get in Baton Rouge?), Texas, USC, etc etc etc;. Time and again big boosters interfere and screw everything up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Neville said something along the lines of wanting the next AD to be someone who understands the landscape and the NIL process. NIL is the largest change in the history of the sport, but we’ve been operating at such a low level that we just want someone who understands the change.

Figures Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Neville said something along the lines of wanting the next AD to be someone who understands the landscape and the NIL process. NIL is the largest change in the history of the sport, but we’ve been operating at such a low level that we just want someone who understands the change.

Figures Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I really don't think there's anyone who truly understands it at this point. Every time we think we have a handle on what's acceptable and allowable, another factory comes in and finds another way to use it to advantage. We need someone dedicated to figuring out how to use it to our advantage though, and TiVo deals ain't gonna cut it...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think there's anyone who truly understands it at this point. Every time we think we have a handle on what's acceptable and allowable, another factory comes in and finds another way to use it to advantage. We need someone dedicated to figuring out how to use it to our advantage though, and TiVo deals ain't gonna cut it...

This. The fact that Neville and Cabrera understand that the NIL landscape is important, and they want someone who understands it is impressive to me. Maybe we can stop with the "GT isn't going to compete with another school if NIL is involved" talk. As you said, acknowledging that it's something that GT needs to be competitive with is the first step.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The person dedicated to figuring out how to take advantage of the policy should have been Stansbury. Instead of donating to GTAA for a new coach, we should be working night and day on a plan that funnels donors to a third party for NIL payments. For example, back of the napkin math says with $3M a year we could guarantee the top 22 players $136K or focus on certain positions, players, etc. In the new world of college football, we need to focus on paying players, not coaches.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The person dedicated to figuring out how to take advantage of the policy should have been Stansbury. Instead of donating to GTAA for a new coach, we should be working night and day on a plan that funnels donors to a third party for NIL payments. For example, back of the napkin math says with $3M a year we could guarantee the top 22 players $136K or focus on certain positions, players, etc. In the new world of college football, we need to focus on paying players, not coaches.
Ironically, this ("In the new world of college football, we need to focus on paying players, not coaches.") is what Auburn figured out about a month after hiring Harsin.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Well, the school working to funnel NIL money is the one thing that is expressly forbidden, so, there's that...