Does the AD need to be hired first before a coach?

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Just the messenger. Word is the donors want a GT man and a former GT athlete and Duncan ticks that box.
Boosters need to learn to stay hands off. They are not nearly as knowledgeable about running an athletics department as they think they are.

One of Saban's big successes at LSU and Alabama was getting the boosters in line and under control. We need an AD that can do the same.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oh good. Can’t wait for the news to break that PES fleeced us on the search firm cost. I’m sure we’ll hand them more than whatever the market rate for a dumbass search firm is. Tennessee paid $120k each plus to find their AD and football coach last year. I’m sure we’ll end up paying them well over that amount, because we’re Georgia Tech and we can do that.

If we get Tennessee's results with Heupal and Danny White (AD), that's $100K+ worth spending.

BTW...the irony of Danny White? He replaced Stansbury at UCF when Stansbury moved on to Oregon State.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Another box he ticks is experience at a high level of politics, which is a lot like much of the AD's duties.
Thing is, I don't see how it could work because I don't see him leaving his present gig as Lt. Governor before the end of his term. But I guess he could keep his day job and work for us nights...

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Thing is, I don't see how it could work because I don't see him leaving his present gig as Lt. Governor before the end of his term. But I guess he could keep his day job and work for us nights...

Why would he care? He is not running for reelection. He could leave whenever he wants. The lieutenant governor doesn’t really do a whole lot anyway. Typically just waits to run for governor. I don’t think that would be a big issue, the bigger issue is, does he really have the experience to do it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I mean, his term is up in three months. He's not running for reelection and the Lt. Gov. doesn't have that many responsibilities (mostly ceremonial duties in the state Senate). He could be announced as the hire with a January start date, the interim AD stays in place until then. I'm sure he could sit in on meetings and interviews related to the HC search. I imagine it's doable.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why would he care?
Integrity. He was elected to do a job, and he might feel it incumbent upon himself to finish it, such as it is. I realize people leave the Senate to run for president, but that's not the same thing as leaving an elected position for an AD gig. He might, but he might feel an obligation to finish out his term. Just sayin'.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I mean, his term is up in three months. He's not running for reelection and the Lt. Gov. doesn't have that many responsibilities (mostly ceremonial duties in the state Senate). He could be announced as the hire with a January start date, the interim AD stays in place until then. I'm sure he could sit in on meetings and interviews related to the HC search. I imagine it's doable.
Maybe.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another box he ticks is experience at a high level of politics, which is a lot like much of the AD's duties.
If we can get a manger a politically well connected AD it will help w the BOR.
We need some sort of relief from the limited ciriculum. (Ncaa requires must take classes, out studdnts can grad with degree in less than 3 years. We have 2 ol guys i know that grad spring 23 w three years eligibility - been injured - hope to see field next season . Need some smart political type to help.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Is this really a good idea? Have we used them before?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Well, there's a political angle here as well. He leaves, lets the Gov appoint an interim if I remember my Ga political process, who just might be the Gov's favorite for the post come election time. Perfect timing for some free publicity, right?

So Burt Jones is appointed to the position before the election and becomes the "Incumbent". We do the Gov a favor and maybe he helps us with the BOR or something?

EDIT: Never Mind...the post remains vacant. I looked it up. What a great story that would have been! :)

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just the messenger. Word is the donors want a GT man and a former GT athlete and Duncan ticks that box.

I wrote earlier about the over influence of donors at GT that's caused this situation. Are we really trying to go down that road again?

I'm glad Cabrera put an "outsider" in charge of the Athletic Dept in the interim. I don't think Neville will be beholden to the donors, and just might see how much meddling is going on, as well as what the issues are in the Athletic Department. A pure neutral with "clean" eyes. The last thing we want with the next AD is someone beholden to donors and a "yes" man.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Linda Tealer: Florida AAD.
Brian White: FAU AD
Troy Dannen: Tulane AD
Zac Selmon: Oklahoma AAD
Eddie Nunez: New Mexico AD
Mike Buddie: Army AD
Allen Greene Former AD at Auburn
Nate Pine: Air Force AD
John Hartwell: Utah St AD
Wren Baker: North Texas AD
Terry Tumey: Fresno St AD
Doug Gillen: Appalachian St AD
Bryan Maggard: Louisiana AD
Jeremy McClain: Troy AD
JD Wicker: SD State AD
I hope we get the best person available. Not based on any other criteria.