Does the AD need to be hired first before a coach?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Any rundown on who these people are?
Linda Tealer: Florida AAD.
Brian White: FAU AD
Troy Dannen: Tulane AD
Zac Selmon: Oklahoma AAD
Eddie Nunez: New Mexico AD
Mike Buddie: Army AD
Allen Greene Former AD at Auburn
Nate Pine: Air Force AD
John Hartwell: Utah St AD
Wren Baker: North Texas AD
Terry Tumey: Fresno St AD
Doug Gillen: Appalachian St AD
Bryan Maggard: Louisiana AD
Jeremy McClain: Troy AD
JD Wicker: SD State AD

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Game theory: As stated above, hire the coach first and you not only cut your AD pool considerably, but you also give the new AD a permanent excuse as to why the future team may not be doing so well at any given moment.
You should always hire the new AD first, making him accountable for the entire program going forward. A new broom always sweeps clean - which is a cliche for a reason.
Agreed. And you not only cut your AD candidate pool, you cut your HC candidate pool as well. Turning around a program is hard enough without the worry that your new boss wishes he could have hired someone that he picked himself.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the Interim AD/Sr. VP of Strategic Initiatives will recommend disbanding the athletic department a la Vanderbilt where “Intercollegiate athletics are administered as a part of the university's Division of Student Life, which oversees all student organizations and activities.” They do have an AD though.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
So, instead of speculating or wish-listing about our next head coach, we should begin by coming up with a short list of AD candidates.

Any names come to mind?
I’ve posted a suggestion in other threads, so I’ll give it a rest. There are folks — probably most everybody — who know the athletics administrators much better than I do.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe the Interim AD/Sr. VP of Strategic Initiatives will recommend disbanding the athletic department a la Vanderbilt where “Intercollegiate athletics are administered as a part of the university's Division of Student Life, which oversees all student organizations and activities.” They do have an AD though.
Vandy is private. We have state regulations to obey. Following Vandy's path is less likely than last year's lottery ticket paying off.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Oh good. Can’t wait for the news to break that PES fleeced us on the search firm cost. I’m sure we’ll hand them more than whatever the market rate for a dumbass search firm is. Tennessee paid $120k each plus to find their AD and football coach last year. I’m sure we’ll end up paying them well over that amount, because we’re Georgia Tech and we can do that.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Oh good. Can’t wait for the news to break that PES fleeced us on the search firm cost. I’m sure we’ll hand them more than whatever the market rate for a dumbass search firm is. Tennessee paid $120k each plus to find their AD and football coach last year. I’m sure we’ll end up paying them well over that amount, because we’re Georgia Tech and we can do that.
Every transaction of value has all sorts of parasites looking for a cut of the action.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Vandy is private. We have state regulations to obey. Following Vandy's path is less likely than last year's lottery ticket paying off.
So maybe not that drastic but I think the timing gives plenty of time to do a deep dive into the workings of the athletic department while the AD search happens and still gives time to have the new coach identified by the end of the season. The amount of debt mentioned elsewhere screams for a hard look.