Does Hall's age hurt recruiting

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Kids don't want to see a change in the head coach during their time in a program. Is Hall's age hurting our recruiting to the point we are middle of the road team now.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
We have the 4th ranked recruiting class in the nation coming in next year, and the last 2 years have been top 10. Recruiting is not the problem.
A lot of the rankings are showcase kids. Not saying they all are, but many show out in practice, not games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kids don't want to see a change in the head coach during their time in a program. Is Hall's age hurting our recruiting to the point we are middle of the road team now.
Hall isn't doing the recruiting... unless you're saying the mere fact he's the head coach is a recruiting problem? But it does seem we are not having problems getting talent here (HS or portal).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hall isn't doing the recruiting... unless you're saying the mere fact he's the head coach is a recruiting problem? But it does seem we are not having problems getting talent here (HS or portal).
Just seems the last few years we have good players coming into the program (lose a few to the draft) but don't quite meet expectations during the season. Pitching seems to be where we are not performing well enough to compete at the very highest levels of the ACC which is a very strong baseball conference. Good solid team but nothing special. Maybe the kids can turn it around in May. I hope so. GT fans need something good to cheer for.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
What if? ...heads explode!
For every Tom Brady there’s a Jamarcus Russell. Perhaps we’re recruiting the Jamarcus Russels and “getting steals” and our competition are finding the Tom Bradys?

The other option is we’re very badly coached like CS in football and a change of leadership is all we need.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s what I understand - I think Ramsey is overseeing recruiting now. Even more reason to just go ahead and turn over the reins to him next season.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
What if the rankings are deceiving us?
I don’t know where to go to find rankings and don’t really care to learn, but wouldn’t it be a simple task to look at top performing teams year in and year out and see if they have (or don’t have) top ranked recruiting classes? If so, I would assume the rankings are a good indicator of talent. If not, then maybe we are being fooled by rankings. I am sure there are nuances that would negate this theory, but it seems like it would at least be “75%” correct?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know where to go to find rankings and don’t really care to learn, but wouldn’t it be a simple task to look at top performing teams year in and year out and see if they have (or don’t have) top ranked recruiting classes? If so, I would assume the rankings are a good indicator of talent. If not, then maybe we are being fooled by rankings. I am sure there are nuances that would negate this theory, but it seems like it would at least be “75%” correct?
Rankings are nice, but you could have highly ranked pitchers that have had their arms abused for years getting to those rankings. Then they have injuries when they get here. We need to have coaches that know how pitchers have been used/abused in high school and select pitchers accordingly. Not saying we have not been doing that, but injuries to our key pitchers seems to be a theme from year to year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What a ridiculous question. We have had top ten recruiting classes three years in a row for both position players as well as pitchers. So no his age doesn't hurt our recruiting. Does Nick Saban's age hurt recruiting at Alabama? Of all the questions to point toward our poor performance our recruiting is the last one. As mentioned above, Hall isn't even our primary recruiter. Do you think Ramsey is hurting our recruiting? I don't think anyone on here thinks that.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting rankings are very suspect. They should be based on the top 5 players, not the whole class of 20. Players 6-10 are probably not going to play much and players 11-20 not at all

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems we should go heavy with transfers as we seem to have better contributors with a much better success rate.
I would agree but the one problem with that philosophy is if you strike out in the portal one year you have nobody waiting in the wings.