Does Georgia Tech's Offense ACTUALLY Hurt Recruiting?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it hurts more than it helps. Even with the D.

Suppose there are 20, for discussion purposes, really good S/As that we are after.

What % automatically discard us due to the O? There is no way it is not happening.

We are reducing the available S/As we can recruit on our own. And we can not afford it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We used to line up across from FSU, Auburn, UGA, Notre Dame, and we were as big and fast as they were. Nowadays, even the announcers make fun of us getting off the bus.

when was that? during Dodd's era? I've only been a Gt fan since the mid-70's and don't recall that. Pepper had a few guys like that but after those handful of guys got off of the bus, the rest of them looked like the guys at Vandy or Tulane. Or are you referring to the '89-'90 teams under Ross?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
when was that? during Dodd's era? I've only been a Gt fan since the mid-70's and don't recall that. Pepper had a few guys like that but after those handful of guys got off of the bus, the rest of them looked like the guys at Vandy or Tulane. Or are you referring to the '89-'90 teams under Ross?

If you still bite, you belong in the boat.

Milwaukee

Banned

Just off the top of my head, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

2003 vs AUB
2003 vs FSU
2005 vs AUB
2006 vs Notre Dame
2007? vs Notre Dame
2008 vs FSU
2009 vs FSU
2008 vs UGA
2006 vs UGA

You do realize our starting defense under Gailey was:

DE: Darrell Robertson, Michael Johnson, Adam Oliver
DT: Joe Anaoi, Daryl Richard, Vance Walker
LB: Philip Wheeler, KaMichael Hall, Gary Guyton
CB: Reuben Houston, Kenny Scott, Dennis Davis
S: Daman Landry, Chris Reis, Jamal Lewis

Sure there are outliers. I've seen Gailey squads get blown out by Duke, UGA, and Clemson. And I've seen PJ squads be housed by Middle Tennessee. I'm not saying I'd rather have Gailey than PJ. I'm just being selfish and wishing we had the both of their best attributes.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
But he did train both Watson & Dobbs so???
He probably know there line of thinking.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
To answer yes. As a former educator how still consults in schools I can say yes.

Is it the only factor no and that's a long no. GT gets an ear but it's usually talked out of players by peers, coaches, teachers, ect.. The offense definitely impacts in that regard. I think most kids are game for the academics even the ones that are academically strong. No one believes they are stupid.

Is CPJ charasmatic No.
Is the offense sexy enough No.
Does GT beat it's rivals consistent enough No.
Is the in game atmosphere exciting No consistently
Is the academics too rigarous Yes for most/many
Does GT have the facilities Yes/No

These are the things that goes into a recruits mind concerning GT all of which are external. No one knows the internal systemic issues GT faces.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
YES, it does. I have determined it has added another -15% or so to an already difficult situation. It hurts on D, and on O, for QBs, OL, and WR's. The story told to young recruits from other coaches is very damning, although I cannot say how much is true and how much is just spin. Either way, it does handicap us further, in my opinion.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you that the two biggest detractors (besides academics, and stadium) from recruiting when talking to my former students are
  1. The perception that "Tech Sucks." It doesn't matter we're in the OB. "Yea but they still suck." This was the same argument with Chan and it's the same argument with CPJ. I chalk it up to being the little brother, not the offense.
  2. The classic complaints of the offense. Chop blocks, defense sucks because it practices it every day (even though HS use scout teams too the concept of scout teams is hard for kids and apparently announcers to understand,) Never have any big plays, don't throw at all, whatever the misinformed classic responses we hear about tech are processed through the media and then even less are remembered by people. If you don't actually watch Tech football then you believe everything you hear because why wouldn't you?
That mindset is the biggest detractor and while it does spawn from the offense it's not truly a fair representation of the offense. Which is a hurdle the staff definitely has to put effort into educating recruits of the actual roles in the offense rather than what they see on sportscenter.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me add this thought as well..My personal view is that the pocket passer is out dated in today's game. If your QB is not a dual threat you lose a .5 man on offense.

How do you stop Eason types? Confuse the coverage look and bring pressure. He isn't going to kill you with his legs, and he can only kill you with his arm if he has time to do so.

Two things we struggle to do on defense. Smh