Does Anyone Remember Player Introductions?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Specifically, I have a memory of players being announced by position and what they were majoring in. I’m certain this isn’t a false memory but I am not clear about how often this was done (just bowl games?) or whether this was a short-lived tradition. I have not had any luck finding anything on the internet.

It made an impression on me as a child and it has become something I’m more curious about now since we seem to be in the age of semi-pro sports and a deemphasis of academics.

Would love anyone’s thoughts on this, when it was done, why it was discontinued, and any other thoughts?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That’s cool.

What I remember was not at all hip. Just each player stopping in front of the camera and the announcer saying something like “Starting at half-back, number 24, majoring in Economics, Lawrence Stanley.”
Here are some player intros from I believe the '73 Rose Bowl. Just intros by position. I vaguely remember what you're talking about, including "majors", but can't find any examples of that. The intros start at about 6:50:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or has anyone else found that with the loss of net neutrality it’s harder to pull up relevant sites for certain queries ?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some good players in that game. Lynn Swann, Fulton Kuykendall. Coach Pepper Rodgers of UCLA introduced...
Yep. One played for the Falcons and one Pittsburgh. To me Swann may have been the best WR to play the game, good speed, good route running, and unfailing hands.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Specifically, I have a memory of players being announced by position and what they were majoring in. I’m certain this isn’t a false memory but I am not clear about how often this was done (just bowl games?) or whether this was a short-lived tradition. I have not had any luck finding anything on the internet.

It made an impression on me as a child and it has become something I’m more curious about now since we seem to be in the age of semi-pro sports and a deemphasis of academics.

Would love anyone’s thoughts on this, when it was done, why it was discontinued, and any other thoughts?
Game of the week always did it. It would be an embarrassment to most of the factories now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

The media quit doing it because just saying the majors, which for many of these players was of no consequence, had become cringeworthy watching them struggle through that embarrassment. Would you want the whole world to know that you were majoring in "General Studies"?