Does anyone know about x-fer QBs success rate

northgajacket

Banned
Aikman transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA, Jeff George transferred from Purdue to Illinois, Branndon Stewart transferred from Tennessee to Texas A&M (although his career was a bit up and down), Ryan Mallet from Michigan to Arkansas, Nate Hybl from uga to Oklahoma, those are ones I can think of off the top of my head.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Original question was - "Does anyone know recent history about transfer QBs and success rate?"

We can pick a few that are successful, per se, but there are most likely many more "Steven Threet" scenarios that never hit the radar screen to do the analysis.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I really want to know is how likely the transfers to VT, Pitt, and UNC were to be successful.

I learned that VT's and UNC QB will have to deal with a GT 2015 situation given the change over on offence.

Pitt has a better chance, but they still lost some heavy hitters.

CRS

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Mallett from Michigan to Arkansas worked out OK for the Hogs.
Wilson is one of the best examples of it working out. Mayfield is probably right there too, along with Coker.
In a roundabout way, Nick Marshall eventually transferring to Auburn worked out OK for the Tigers.

But without a more detailed look at it, I think more of those turn out to be of a lesser impact than expected at the FBS to FBS level.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
The way I see it the transfers that were run off by coaches, faced a scheme change making them leave, or left for discipline reasons seem to have a better chance at doing well at another school than someone who transferred out because they weren't good enough to start at their original school. Chances are you aren't going to end up on a more talented program than before if you lost your starting job. Obviously the exception there is Coker went from stacked FSU to stacked Alabama after getting bumped down by Winston. Maybe it's just memory bias but it seems most of the "successful" ones like Mayfield, Newton, Wilson, Aikman, etc fall into the former categories.

I think most transfers fall into the latter category which is why most people don't see it as a typically successful move. They probably aren't just going to get magically much better with just 1 offseason in a different program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What I really want to know is how likely the transfers to VT, Pitt, and UNC were to be successful.

I learned that VT's and UNC QB will have to deal with a GT 2015 situation given the change over on offence.

Pitt has a better chance, but they still lost some heavy hitters.

CRS

Pitt lost their OC to LSU. That guy was really good at developing QBs. Will be an interesting situation to watch since they're game #4 for us. Their offense may still be trying to find itself at that point.