Do you remember when you became a Tech fan?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Born into it. My dad was born and raised in East Point. He grew up going to games, and I watched with him every week as a kid. I went to my first game in 99' when we beat UNC in OT. I've been to at least a game every year since. We had season tickets for several years at the beginning of the PJ era, but as I got older it became harder to get to more than 1-2 games a year. Anyway, I've stuck with the Jackets through it all, and will continue to do so. I will pass it onto my kids one day as well. It is frustrating and also rewarding being a jacket fan. Watching teams like 00, 08, 09, 14 make it worth the struggle.

As I remember it drizzled the whole game. Looked very, very bleak with UNC ahead by 3 inside our 5-yard line with about a minute on the clock. But a goal line stand, and some heroics by 'Lil Joe and Luke Manget pulled us through.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
It has to be either '70 or '71. All I remember is that Eddie McAshan was QB. Dad was Class of 1960 and we attended several home years in those years when I was in elementary school. I scored just high enough on SATs to get in as a legacy in '83 and quickly found out that I couldn't cut it academically. Pledging Phi Sigma Kappa and consuming lots of adult beverages did not help. I have never lost my love of Georgia Tech sports teams and hatred of UGA (sic.). There are other teams I cheer for when they aren't playing the Jackets though (mostly ACC teams and never UGA).

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I become a Tech fan around 1977 or 1978. My father was a basketball coach and he shared an office with the football coach in the gym. As a kid I would go into his office and look at a GT football calendar. I remember asking him "why did Georgia used to be called Georgia Tech"? He explained to me that they were two different schools. He went back into the gym and I grabbed a chair so that I could reach the calendar and take it off the wall. I remember reading about "wrong way Riegels" and seeing pictures of the Ramblin Wreck in that calendar.

I was hooked. I was a GT fan and never looked back. I foolishly cheered for the mutts to win the NC in 1980, but I always wanted Tech to beat them. By my high school years I hated UGA. My junior and senior years Gary Lee and the boys made me proud. It sure was sweet because I was probably the only Tech fan in my school.

I graduated from Tech in 1991, so I got to see some of the most exciting games in our program's history. My eyes saw the glory of the stomping of the dawgs in 1989. I was there for the Clemson game in 1990. I remember how loud we all screamed on that 4th down stop. I remember running outside onto Techwood drive after Sisson's kick against UVA and seeing the bonfire in the middle of the road. I was at the Citrus Bowl on January 1st of 1991.

After college I married a cheerleader from Georgia State and turned her into a Tech fan. We raised our children to be Tech fans. Our daughter just graduated with a EE degree and she was a cheerleader for GT for the last four years. I am a proud GT fan and will be to the day I die!

And this is a great thread. I have really enjoyed reading stories about all of you. It is nice to know that there are fans just as passionate as I am. We may not always agree about the direction of the program, but we are all in agreement as to how much we love Georgia Tech!