Do use ralize that unc who was down 21-0 could be in playoffs

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What a change!
In 2014- we left them in dirt when coach told defense to jacket up.
In 2015 when gotsis tossed we were ahead 21-0, then the experienced unc dc (fedora fired dc dan disch and replace him with gene chizik they are 8-0 & we are 1-7) adjusted to score 38 & we scored 10 more.
They go from defense giving up 507 in 14 to 247 in 15. Good hire.
They are 9-1 & we are 1-9 ( I don't count fcs)'

Why change????.

Tough call by coach. Long time assistants.
Aim high or steady as we go?
I am with coach.
Unc made a good change.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You know, some were warning the board before the season that history shows us that GT typically follows a great season with a stinker. I said pish posh, history smistory. The past doesn't dictate the present, or the future for that matter. I must say now that trends can be trends for reasons.

It is extremely difficult for schools like GT to put all the pieces of the puzzle together every year. Forget every, how about most years? Forget most, we're doing good if we can pull it off 1 in 4. Seriously though, about 1 in 6 or 8 is more realistic.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We were in almost every game ( ND and Clemson on the road were exceptions). A few less injuries and a little more luck would have given us some wins and momentum.

With the injuries and schedule we just never could put things together.

Point is the season sucked and there is plenty to complain about--but there is probably less broken than most think.

We do need another class like last year's, and need it badly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We were in almost every game ( ND and Clemson on the road were exceptions). A few less injuries and a little more luck would have given us some wins and momentum.

With the injuries and schedule we just never could put things together.

Point is the season sucked and there is plenty to complain about--but there is probably less broken than most think.

We do need another class like last year's, and need it badly.
Still looking for that prototypical Paul Johnson quarterback.

Ok then they are 10-1 & we are 2-9.
Tulane coach fired?

What do u think about the change.

I SAY we flip it and win in 16? What do u think
Well, UNC made changes on their staff and got better. Tulane, T-U-L-A-N-E, got tired of the losing and fired their coach. I would say there is evidence that a coaching change might be the catalyst for improvement.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, UNC made changes on their staff and got better. Tulane, T-U-L-A-N-E, got tired of the losing and fired their coach. I would say there is evidence that a coaching change might be the catalyst for improvement.
Well, it can be, but it just as often isn't. It's the same as in business; unless you have a really bad situation developing, it is usually best to stick with the personnel who know the job. Training new kids up is a chore and they always have as big a chance to screw up as they do to succeed.

Now, if we could be sure we were going to hit the jackpot, it'd be a different story.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You know, some were warning the board before the season that history shows us that GT typically follows a great season with a stinker. I said pish posh, history smistory. The past doesn't dictate the present, or the future for that matter. I must say now that trends can be trends for reasons.

It is extremely difficult for schools like GT to put all the pieces of the puzzle together every year. Forget every, how about most years? Forget most, we're doing good if we can pull it off 1 in 4. Seriously though, about 1 in 6 or 8 is more realistic.
I hope we flip back to winning a bunch of the close ones. If its 1:4 then pay raise fine w me.

Cheese, I am sure u are thinking about next years defense as well as the offense.

Last year we thought we had the ol fixed and it would be a strength that would cover up some of the youth. NOT SO MUCH.

I think it is clear that this year dl was not a strength in fact it was a weakness. With the 4 senior db graduating and no indication of resurgence by dl, do u feel that next year we could have some MAJOR MAJOR issues on defense and particularly in pass protection. No need for quick reply.

Think about if we should blitz more or be even more bend but don't break which I fear will be ..... But break kind of quickly.

U know I am of the school,==we score or punt then the gt offense will be back on the field in 2 -3 minutes hopefully by turn over. We will grind them down in fourth quarter.

THANKS

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What a change!
In 2014- we left them in dirt when coach told defense to jacket up.
In 2015 when gotsis tossed we were ahead 21-0, then the experienced unc dc (fedora fired dc dan disch and replace him with gene chizik they are 8-0 & we are 1-7) adjusted to score 38 & we scored 10 more.
They go from defense giving up 507 in 14 to 247 in 15. Good hire.
They are 9-1 & we are 1-9 ( I don't count fcs)'

Why change????.

Tough call by coach. Long time assistants.
Aim high or steady as we go?
I am with coach.
Unc made a good change.
GT could actually serve as an object lesson to the UNC bunch. They are now talking national title and undefeated seasons and double digit wins and multiple ACC championships. (This from a team that was within a couple of stupid Clemson mistakes of being blown out in the second half by Clemson.) They should dial it back some. Coming from us it was happy talk born of relief. From them it is smug and arrogant.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GT could actually serve as an object lesson to the UNC bunch. They are now talking national title and undefeated seasons and double digit wins and multiple ACC championships. (This from a team that was within a couple of stupid Clemson mistakes of being blown out in the second half by Clemson.) They should dial it back some. Coming from us it was happy talk born of relief. From them it is smug and arrogant.
It's much easier for factory programs, and yes UNC is a factory in my book with it's easy course offerings, to duplicate success once they find the formula for it. Non-factories, like us, require a perfect storm scenario where all the planets align like last year. Not so for factories. They just need to keep signing the dumb arse foosball players that can't spell cat and tell them where to go and who to hit.

The only way programs like GT can perform at a high level with consistency is to have very little attrition, very few injuries, very few misses in recruiting and to red shirt religiously and have most guys stay all 5 years. That way, you always have a crop of quality upperclassmen and no glaring holes in your roster. The upperclassmen part is essential at GT for two reasons: a) because we typically have to develop "project" kids and that takes time, and b) the precise nature of our offense demands experience.

It's still a delicate balancing act because the less you turn over, the less you can recruit, so classes are always small. This makes it doubly important to recruit to your specific needs each year as far as evening out the classes and filling out positions equitably.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's much easier for factory programs, and yes UNC is a factory in my book with it's easy course offerings, to duplicate success once they find the formula for it. Non-factories, like us, require a perfect storm scenario where all the planets align like last year. Not so for factories. They just need to keep signing the dumb arse foosball players that can't spell cat and tell them where to go and who to hit.

The only way programs like GT can perform at a high level with consistency is to have very little attrition, very few injuries, very few misses in recruiting and to red shirt religiously and have most guys stay all 5 years. That way, you always have a crop of quality upperclassmen and no glaring holes in your roster. The upperclassmen part is essential at GT for two reasons: a) because we typically have to develop "project" kids and that takes time, and b) the precise nature of our offense demands experience.

It's still a delicate balancing act because the less you turn over, the less you can recruit, so classes are always small. This makes it doubly important to recruit to your specific needs each year as far as evening out the classes and filling out positions equitably.
A good analysis, I think. We saw what happened to Wake Forest when Grobe ran out of red shirt magic and stayed too long. I don't disagree with the "factory" assessment, and it really offends me that the flagship of a formerly nationally acclaimed university system -- before the legislature got ahold of it and politized it while gutting its budget -- cheapened and devalued the former sterling reputation of a UNC diploma on the wall. Those demanding change for change's sake and now so sublimely confident that a) a name coach could be attracted to GT and b) would automatically get 4 and 5-stars with a "new" offense need to take heed. Even if they did not or will not attend Tech. With the budget cuts and political interference is coupled with a massive academic scandal, and this one meets that description, it is uncertain when or even if UNC will ever regain its previous standing. Bad for students, graduates, bad for the state because it makes NC less attractive to investment and migration. GT, just be aware.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I started the thread to show BOTH sides = we lost so many games to acc teams that something must done verses they were so close that we just need to FIXIT.

WE DO NOT NEED A POLL TO SEE WHO WANTS TO BE UNCHEAT. The answer is zero.
Unc 2014 to 2015 improvement came from some direct improvement as a result of a change.

So maybe some change is needed.

Could be ast coaches,
could be consult to review plays for predictable play calling patterns

Could Be Add a reasonably price assistant from say the citadel to assist cooach so he has more time to be a hc during games. 75k

Could be Once a quarter gets some gtaa grad assistants plane tickets to go to texas and ohio just spreading the word ( our players graduate , 1:6 gt grads are millionaires, were are class) & meeting high school coaches. Later bring our recruiters (-who are doing a good job) to meet targeted coaches. 75k.

I would defer to coach on all of these except the last one.
Actually I am disappointed we are not doing it and ANNOUNCING IT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I started the thread to show BOTH sides = we lost so many games to acc teams that something must done verses they were so close that we just need to FIXIT.

WE DO NOT NEED A POLL TO SEE WHO WANTS TO BE UNCHEAT. The answer is zero.
Unc 2014 to 2015 improvement came from some direct improvement as a result of a change.

So maybe some change is needed.

Could be ast coaches,
could be consult to review plays for predictable play calling patterns

Could Be Add a reasonably price assistant from say the citadel to assist cooach so he has more time to be a hc during games. 75k

Could be Once a quarter gets some gtaa grad assistants plane tickets to go to texas and ohio just spreading the word ( our players graduate , 1:6 gt grads are millionaires, were are class) & meeting high school coaches. Later bring our recruiters (-who are doing a good job) to meet targeted coaches. 75k.

I would defer to coach on all of these except the last one.
Actually I am disappointed we are not doing it and ANNOUNCING IT.
If only we'd recruit TEXAS..... ;)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I hope we flip back to winning a bunch of the close ones. If its 1:4 then pay raise fine w me.

Cheese, I am sure u are thinking about next years defense as well as the offense.

Last year we thought we had the ol fixed and it would be a strength that would cover up some of the youth. NOT SO MUCH.

I think it is clear that this year dl was not a strength in fact it was a weakness. With the 4 senior db graduating and no indication of resurgence by dl, do u feel that next year we could have some MAJOR MAJOR issues on defense and particularly in pass protection. No need for quick reply.

Think about if we should blitz more or be even more bend but don't break which I fear will be ..... But break kind of quickly.

U know I am of the school,==we score or punt then the gt offense will be back on the field in 2 -3 minutes hopefully by turn over. We will grind them down in fourth quarter.

THANKS
Ice,
I'll comment on DEF.It could be a disaster.Having 4 completely new starters at Db begs for lots of easy TBs on broken coverages esp with no rush.(we were last in conf in sacks and our best DL is gone.) The LBs are not going to be enough to make up for weak DL and inexp DBs eitherIf CTR puts a decent def on field I will be amazed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ice,
I'll comment on DEF.It could be a disaster.Having 4 completely new starters at Db begs for lots of easy TBs on broken coverages esp with no rush.(we were last in conf in sacks and our best DL is gone.) The LBs are not going to be enough to make up for weak DL and inexp DBs eitherIf CTR puts a decent def on field I will be amazed.

And dressed liked it.
Oh XXXX!!!

Next year I don't see the 16 offense being the juggernaut of 2014 last 4 games.
If the defense slips to approaching GROH level , ... I don't want to think about the combination.

I am somewhat hopeful that we will have some young guys really suprise to the upside.

Guess a mix level record could be 6-6 & talking about FIXING the defense the next year ( with a new qb).

Won't go there. WE FIX IT 16.