Do our QBs take more hits than in pro-style/pass-oriented offenses?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the criticisms I hear about our offense from outsiders (non-GT fans) is that the quarterback gets hit on every play due to the scheme.  I've heard several folks say that we can't put smaller guys at QB because of durability concerns.  I actually had a fellow tell me that he didn't think Joe Hamilton could make it in the current scheme because of his small size and inability to take hits.  

Personally, I think these are blanket statements based on gut feel.  I've never heard any concrete stats or observations about often our QB takes a hard hit.  So let me toss this out there:  Does GT's current scheme lead to more hits on the QB than a pro-style offense or a pass-first option offense?  I've got my own thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear what you all think or have observed.  I have not watched enough old games to come to any real conclusions just yet.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, pro QBs only get hit on keepers or sacks for the most part. Our QBs main job is one of a glorified running back. He gets hit on most option plays. Handoffs, ect.
It's a very physical position. When we were scheming for playing option teams, we were taught that one person should hit the quarterback on any givin play unless it was a direct handoff like a jet sweep or something.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize we don't run the exact same offense, but just kind of an interesting vdeo. Especially if JT is primarily used in the pistol. [flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/FH7Ve78Ngok[/flash]

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
IMHO our QBs get high more than the average but not nearly as much as the negative recruiters suggest.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
From observation, it seems that our QBs will get hit more than in a pro-style offense.  However, the types of hits are different.  They are typically ball-carriers and are expecting to be hit.  Many of the hits to a pro-style QB can be more devastating because they're not expecting it.  If I recall correctly, most of the QB injuries that we've had have really been from unusual plays (ie. Nesbitt having his ankle wrenched by UGA, Nesbitt trying to make a tackle after the INT at VT, etc.).  The only concern I really have is if there is a cumulative effect that wears the QB down by the end of the game/season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The whole "option qb gets hit on every play" is a huge myth.  It's perpetuated during recruiting season as a means of negative recruiting.  Go back and watch our offensive series from last year and count how many time TW gets hit hard when he's not the primary ball carrier and you'd be surprised how few it is.  It is true that option qb's run the ball a lot and are, in essence, runningbacks at that point.  

However, just like runningbacks, they are taught how to minimize contact as the tackler approaches.  Joe Ham was a master at this, by the way.  TW was pretty good at it, too.  If you track TW's career, he missed very little if any time due to injury and he wasn't all that big.  

On the other hand, the traditional pocket passer takes fewer hits per game, but more potentially dangerous ones, imo.  Getting hit while your eyes are downfield doesn't allow you take evasive action, especially from your blind side.  

Tim Tebow, who ran spread option at UF, took the worst hit of his college career when he was throwing from the pocket and NOT when he was a ball carrier.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
dressedcheeseside said:
The whole "option qb gets hit on every play" is a huge myth.  It's perpetuated during recruiting season as a means of negative recruiting.  Go back and watch our offensive series from last year and count how many time TW gets hit hard when he's not the primary ball carrier and you'd be surprised how few it is.  It is true that option qb's run the ball a lot and are, in essence, runningbacks at that point.  

However, just like runningbacks, they are taught how to minimize contact as the tackler approaches.  Joe Ham was a master at this, by the way.  TW was pretty good at it, too.  If you track TW's career, he missed very little if any time due to injury and he wasn't all that big.  

On the other hand, the traditional pocket passer takes fewer hits per game, but more potentially dangerous ones, imo.  Getting hit while your eyes are downfield doesn't allow you take evasive action, especially from your blind side.  

Tim Tebow, who ran spread option at UF, took the worst hit of his college career when he was throwing from the pocket and NOT when he was a ball carrier.

Agree with all this.  It intuitively seems our QBs should get hit a lot more, but it's not as much as you'd think.  Most of the time if the ball is pitched the man assigned to the QB lets up or goes to pursue the ball.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Those are all some really good points.  Just from memory, I knew that Tevin didn't miss many snaps and that Nesbitt's injuries came from either plays that could happen to any QB or just from wacky mishaps.  I'd love to see some numbers on exactly how often those guys got hit in their career, but I don't have the time or patience to put that together.

One thing I didn't think about is that in our offense, the QB is more likely to know the hit is coming and be prepared for it.  I agree that pocket passers seem to take more vicious hits, although fewer.

MGTfan, that video was great!  I may have to send that out to a few haters I know....