Different Thoughts and Solutions

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I always like to read everyone's opinion (whether I agree or not) on the current and future of GT sports. That being said I would like to throw a few thoughts out there and hear some of your thoughts and solutions given we know who the football coach will be next year:

1. As a fan of 50 years I have always hoped GT could first get to a consistent winner - average 8 wins a year over consecutive years and gain momentum to build on including building fan base, media attention, etc. Feel like we need to get there first and to do that GT needs to become a top team in the ACC.

2. Reality is the revenue is not there (I have read 13th in the ACC) and spending is not there (9th in ACC). To me its more than just the Head Coach - it's total staff including recruiting, player development, and staff consultants who can really dive into helping scheme and prepare for an opponent. I think this is where they fail more than just who the head coach is.

3. Recruiting is better (according to 247) but the players are still young and I would think player development is not only on coaching but competition in practice against other good players. For example I would guess by the time a team like uga practices and prepares against/with their own talent it makes playing a lesser team a cakewalk.

Enough of my ramblings interested to hear your thoughts

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I always like to read everyone's opinion (whether I agree or not) on the current and future of GT sports. That being said I would like to throw a few thoughts out there and hear some of your thoughts and solutions given we know who the football coach will be next year:

1. As a fan of 50 years I have always hoped GT could first get to a consistent winner - average 8 wins a year over consecutive years and gain momentum to build on including building fan base, media attention, etc. Feel like we need to get there first and to do that GT needs to become a top team in the ACC.

2. Reality is the revenue is not there (I have read 13th in the ACC) and spending is not there (9th in ACC). To me its more than just the Head Coach - it's total staff including recruiting, player development, and staff consultants who can really dive into helping scheme and prepare for an opponent. I think this is where they fail more than just who the head coach is.

3. Recruiting is better (according to 247) but the players are still young and I would think player development is not only on coaching but competition in practice against other good players. For example I would guess by the time a team like uga practices and prepares against/with their own talent it makes playing a lesser team a cakewalk.

Enough of my ramblings interested to hear your thoughts
1. A consistent winner has to be the baseline floor, but is probably below most fan's expectations. There is such a rich history in our program, I want to cheer for sustained excellence, ACC championship competitors, and beyond.
2. Contract revenue is an equalizer for all teams, but is also an artificial inflationary figure. If everyone pays inflated contracts it still resolves to making the right hires, choosing the right leaders. As a fan base we are heartily hashing out solutions in other threads.
3. Depth of talent drives competition. Using the recruit rankings as a measurable, this seems to be one place where CGC places his passions. For as long as he is the HC, if he can be "freed" of other responsibilities to focus his energies here, I'm all for it.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
In this day and age of college football, you're admin from top to bottom has to be all in to keep up with the big boys. We simply aren't and no signs of it ever happening. I appreciate them wanting to uphold integrity for Tech degrees and such but our university is globally recognized. Being all in for athletics, specifically football, doesn't diminish that in my opinion. It's just an easy scapegoat to not spend the $$$.

Granted, I don't really know the nuances of our big $$$ donors/alum. My uncle is a big donor but he doesn't know much.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
In this day and age of college football, you're admin from top to bottom has to be all in to keep up with the big boys. We simply aren't and no signs of it ever happening. I appreciate them wanting to uphold integrity for Tech degrees and such but our university is globally recognized. Being all in for athletics, specifically football, doesn't diminish that in my opinion. It's just an easy scapegoat to not spend the $$$.

Granted, I don't really know the nuances of our big $$$ donors/alum. My uncle is a big donor but he doesn't know much.
The donors I know don’t have a lot of info either but do say there is more money than people think.