Didn’t know Coach Dave Patenaude resigned from Old Dominion before coaching a game

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Makes you wonder. After G*****C****** left, Thacker, Key, and the OL got better.
Hmmmmmm!
Every one of Patenaude’s offenses were better than what Long did this year too. Even in 2019 with walk-ons starting on the OL without a true QB, that offense was better than this years’. I’d imagine had DP been here when Geoff was fired it might’ve improved his offense even more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Every one of Patenaude’s offenses were better than what Long did this year too. Even in 2019 with walk-ons starting on the OL without a true QB, that offense was better than this years’. I’d imagine had DP been here when Geoff was fired it might’ve improved his offense even more.

If you look at the offenses he ran at Coastal, it looks like GT got a watered down version of it. After hearing what I heard about practice methods under CGC, I don't doubt that CGC had Patenaude "strip down" that offense to take away a lot of the zone read and option stuff coming off the "greatest rebuild in college football history" from the flex option.

Patenaude actually use to run triple option plays at Coastal.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the offenses he ran at Coastal, it looks like GT got a watered down version of it. After hearing what I heard about practice methods under CGC, I don't doubt that CGC had Patenaude "strip down" that offense to take away a lot of the zone read and option stuff coming off the "greatest rebuild in college football history" from the flex option.

Patenaude actually use to run triple option plays at Coastal.

I don’t think CDP would’ve ever been a great coordinator for us, but I do think CGC probably did handcuff him a little bit. DP’s offenses here ranked between the 70s to 100. Had CGC not meddled so much he probably could’ve got the range down between 50-70. I especially think late in 2019 when we were decimated by injuries CDP could’ve been way more creative had Geoff allowed him to be. We would seen a lot more triple and option based zone reads. Against Georgia that year we completed 5 out of 21 passes for 40 yards and got totally embarrassed and blown off the field, even though Georgia made a ton of mistakes and we recovered an onside kick in the first half. It was 17-7 at the half and 52-7 final. I really believe had CDP had the freedom to do so he would’ve called a much better game that put us in a way better position. Geoff not having our OL not go full speed ever in practice probably made it harder for CDP to work on his offense too.

DP caught a lot of flak for the CGC era 3 win seasons. He definitely isn’t an offensive guru who will go down as one of the games greatest minds, but I do believe he’s probably better than Geoff allowed him to be. I kind of wish we could’ve gotten to see what a CDP offense under IHCBK could’ve gone. I bet Key would’ve told him do whatever you need to do to put us in position to win. Triple option, wishbone, power-I, RPO spread, air raid, whatever works.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think CDP would’ve ever been a great coordinator for us, but I do think CGC probably did handcuff him a little bit. DP’s offenses here ranked between the 70s to 100. Had CGC not meddled so much he probably could’ve got the range down between 50-70. I especially think late in 2019 when we were decimated by injuries CDP could’ve been way more creative had Geoff allowed him to be. We would seen a lot more triple and option based zone reads. Against Georgia that year we completed 5 out of 21 passes for 40 yards and got totally embarrassed and blown off the field, even though Georgia made a ton of mistakes and we recovered an onside kick in the first half. It was 17-7 at the half and 52-7 final. I really believe had CDP had the freedom to do so he would’ve called a much better game that put us in a way better position. Geoff not having our OL not go full speed ever in practice probably made it harder for CDP to work on his offense too.

DP caught a lot of flak for the CGC era 3 win seasons. He definitely isn’t an offensive guru who will go down as one of the games greatest minds, but I do believe he’s probably better than Geoff allowed him to be. I kind of wish we could’ve gotten to see what a CDP offense under IHCBK could’ve gone. I bet Key would’ve told him do whatever you need to do to put us in position to win. Triple option, wishbone, power-I, RPO spread, air raid, whatever works.
Speculative, but I share your take on DP and "what might have been". It's supported by our performance in the last 8 games, CBK's comments, as well as the objective improvement in our defense despite everyone calling for CAT's head prior to CGC's departure.