Diamond In The Rough

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Honestly relying on "Diamonds in the Rough" is bad business concerning recruiting.

Mentioning outliers may make you feel warm inside but that shouldn't be the norm or the base of the recruiting efforts.
That's one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that Alabama is good at getting between 88-93 highly rated recruits on the team in any given year (NCAA be damned) and out of the sheer numbers some of these guys are bound to be good.

We, on the other hand, are good at identifying players who do not get the hype as recruits. I would say we are just as good at doing what we do as Alabama is at what they do.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
[QUOTE="dressedcheeseside, post: 202179, member: 77"... For one reason or another, it's been a fairly dry mine as of late. .../QUOTE]

I think if you look back as far as the eye can see, recruiting at GT as of late is no better nor worse. We are what we are and probably won't be any different until something changes on the Hill or on the Board or if we get some really good salesmen on the recruiting staff. I just heard on the local news this morning, again, how there is a severe lack of teachers especially in the fields of math and science. As someone on these boards suggested recently, GT needs to push to get us to allow give teaching certificates to our grads ( I don't how that works or if I recall the post correctly) but if there is one way that we could change things to benefit the school/AD and the state of Georgia is get our grads teaching what we know best in our schools. If there is one thing that would be a quick sell to the Board of Regents and to the citizens of the State that they could buy, it would be to make it easier to us to get in the classrooms. For the children... you know.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="dressedcheeseside, post: 202179, member: 77"... For one reason or another, it's been a fairly dry mine as of late. .../QUOTE]

I think if you look back as far as the eye can see, recruiting at GT as of late is no better nor worse. We are what we are and probably won't be any different until something changes on the Hill or on the Board or if we get some really good salesmen on the recruiting staff. I just heard on the local news this morning, again, how there is a severe lack of teachers especially in the fields of math and science. As someone on these boards suggested recently, GT needs to push to get us to allow give teaching certificates to our grads ( I don't how that works or if I recall the post correctly) but if there is one way that we could change things to benefit the school/AD and the state of Georgia is get our grads teaching what we know best in our schools. If there is one thing that would be a quick sell to the Board of Regents and to the citizens of the State that they could buy, it would be to make it easier to us to get in the classrooms. For the children... you know.
Yes.
I went to a liberal arts school but even I know enough to know that a state that lags in math and science is always going to be playing catch up when it comes to economic development and social mobility. The Board needs to be shown in no uncertain terms what the current dismal record is for the state compared to where we should be -leading the nation.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

As a native of this state and one who is married to a teacher let me say this. No one in a governmental "leadership" position in the state of GA gives a **** about educating the children of GA. Lots of lip service, lots of "return control to the local level", lots of "the federal gubment" is trying to crush the states. All the rhetoric in the world without doing a damn thing to improve GAs stunning lack of providing a basic education much less a STEMcentric one. The BOR and the imbeciles under the gold dome aren't going to lift a finger to do ANYTHING that might benefit Tech OR the children in GA.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
As a native of this state and one who is married to a teacher let me say this. No one in a governmental "leadership" position in the state of GA gives a **** about educating the children of GA. Lots of lip service, lots of "return control to the local level", lots of "the federal gubment" is trying to crush the states. All the rhetoric in the world without doing a damn thing to improve GAs stunning lack of providing a basic education much less a STEMcentric one. The BOR and the imbeciles under the gold dome aren't going to lift a finger to do ANYTHING that might benefit Tech OR the children in GA.
as a STEM teacher in Georgia. Yes and no. There are plenty of people in there that truly want wahts best for the kids. Their just the vast minority and none of the elected voting positions.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
as a STEM teacher in Georgia. Yes and no. There are plenty of people in there that truly want wahts best for the kids. Their just the vast minority and none of the elected voting positions.

That's precisely my point :D

My wife has taught for 3o plus years, I know her and her co workers level of dedication, I also know all the roadblocks and hurdles they have to try and overcome!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wish I could like this twenty more times. Several in my family have been involved in education in this state and I am sure you and I could compare horror stories all day.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Granting GT grads an automatic teaching certificate would be a disaster and I am one with one. There's way more involved in teaching than understanding the subject matter. As a middle school science teacher with experience in three states including GA, I know first hand what it takes to be successful working with parents that expect you to raise their children for them, politicians making decisions in a field where they have zero expertise, school administrators more concerned with test scores than actual student learning and students increasingly self absorbed with feelings of entitlement. It's not something that you can just jump into w/o the proper training and expect to be successful no matter how smart you are.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Granting GT grads an automatic teaching certificate would be a disaster and I am one with one. There's way more involved in teaching than understanding the subject matter. As a middle school science teacher with experience in three states including GA, I know first hand what it takes to be successful working with parents that expect you to raise their children for them, politicians making decisions in a field where they have zero expertise, school administrators more concerned with test scores than actual student learning and students increasingly self absorbed with feelings of entitlement. It's not something that you can just jump into w/o the proper training and expect to be successful no matter how smart you are.

Preach it from the rooftops!!!! I have zero issue with Tech turning out STEM teachers but it best be teaching focused for the very reasons you have addressed. So many people do not truly grasp what a teacher does every day! One can know the subject matter at an expert level and still fail as a teacher!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Tech doesn't need to offer teaching certificates what they need is a partnership with GSU to advertise and help with getting into the MAT program.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Tre'J's brother is certainly a "diamond in the rough". No stars and no offers as yet. He's an undersized RB (5'8' 180lbs) with a 415 squat, 4.1 3-cone shuttle, 33.9 vertical and 10 TDs this past season. Plus he has a 23 ACT and a 3.98 gpa.
Maybe a walk on if we don't offer?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Trent Sellers kid has huge upside imo, maybe more than anyone in this past recruiting class. From what I have seen he trains hard and with his frame I think he will have a great chance to be a strong, big, and fast SDE. I have seen people say put weight on him and move him to DT but I would rather keep him at DE, I hated having to have Gotsis at DT when he will more than likely be a SDE in the pros.