Diamond Formation

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
Do u guys think it is good or bad that we released the diamond formation in the Duke game? I am curious because it helps us because that is more for them to prepare for, but we could have used it surprisingly and hit them off guard.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Do u guys think it is good or bad that we released the diamond formation in the Duke game? I am curious because it helps us because that is more for them to prepare for, but we could have used it surprisingly and hit them off guard.
It is certainly better for recruiting to let it out earlier... I'm sure we have stuff saved for all the big games coming up... Miami, VT, BYU, uGA

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said we only ran a couple of plays out of the formation, so we haven't exposed much of the playbook

We ran 3 different run plays out of the diamond saturday. The Inverted Veer and two dive variants. I'm sure CPJ has more up his sleeve than that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
iirc: we ran a speed option (I think that's what it's called) either A-back or QB run, but we didn't run the triple from it

We also play actioned from it.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
iirc: we ran a speed option (I think that's what it's called) either A-back or QB run, but we didn't run the triple from it

We also play actioned from it.

we may have ran a speed option out of it as well. that would be 4 run plays. im sure pj has alot more coming.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Tech showed that they were practicing the diamond formation in the spring and open scrimmages. It was already not a secret at all so the UNC coaches certainly should have been aware of it. Actually having run it in the Duke game gives real game experience and film on it for Tech's benefit as well.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
you're right that it was no secret. i was aware of it being on your boards and having GT friends. i'm not sure how much each head coach keeps tabs on what other teams are doing in their open practices. makes sense to do so, of course, but i'm sure there's a cost-benefit analysis there somewhere.

i agree with you that GT gains a lot from having run it against dook.

i'm actually excited about what the diamond brings to UNC. we have three legit RBs that get equal playing time. we also have two ABs who also get plenty of playing time. so, each of the three backs in the formation can be a legit threat. and if we have marquise williams at QB, then all four can be (as runners). we also have four receivers 6'4" or taller who could take advantage of one-on-one jump balls. we also have two burners who are faster than most DBs.

i'm sure UNC learned from having run it against MTSU. now, will UNC use it against GT? who knows. but GT has game tape on us, too.