Devine sets weight goal

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So glad I was not eating a donut when I read this. Just as easily could have been.

Side note about watching young men's bodies, it is so interesting to me that some guys, once they start the season, have trouble keeping their weight up while other guys are constantly fighting with their midsection. Two years ago some of us thought that if Devine played more he would play himself into shape. Apparently it is not that easy for him.

Like I brought up in another thread...makes you worried for him once his playing days are over and he doesn't have trainers and coaches forcing him to exercise and stay in shape for football.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This comes down to his maturity or lack thereof. At some point you have to accept accountability for your life and this includes what you put in your mouth and how much exercise you commit to. I am pulling for Shamire but until he grows up and accepts the fact he is responsible for his weight he will continue to struggle with his weight.

Go Jackets!

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Not true at all, Shamire came into the program fall of 2013 and has been here now for a little over 18 months. When he came in unofficially he was close to 390 lbs and has done a very good job getting his weight down to from there.. He still has some distance to go but anyone limited from exercise with his body weight is going to struggle. It may be impossible for him to get to 335 from 370 by fall. that's about 2 lbs a week of non water weight, but if he can get to 350 by then, he will still only be a redshirt sophomore in the fall and will be in a great position to make the final push to 335 as a redshirt junior, dominate at that weight and then decide if he wants to come back for more as senior or go pro.. Either way, anyone who has ever lost significant weight will tell you, weight loss is rarely linear, there are losses and gains, but as long as the long term trend line is down, it's all good...

Simple for you and me. Maybe not so simple for him. He has been in the program 3 years without significant change. I have no idea what his routine is, but obviously it is not succeeding. If someone was shoving a suitcase full of cash in your direction if you lost 40 pounds, logic dictates that you would make the effort. But logic doesn't apply here. I think that Shamire will play at his current weight. He will play adequately, but will not make the leap necessary to fully realize his enormous (sic) upside.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Harsh maybe, but he has been in the program long enough to have made more progress on this issue than he has. This young man has a chance to be a multi millionaire and play professional football. It's in his hands. He just needs to get serious about it.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Harsh maybe, but he has been in the program long enough to have made more progress on this issue than he has. This young man has a chance to be a multi millionaire and play professional football. It's in his hands. He just needs to get serious about it.

Go Jackets!
Maybe he should consult Jon Dwyer?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm serious about the "starve, then binge"diets; they're based on good science and they work fast. A colleague of mine has been on one for a week now. He has lost - drumroll, please - 7 pounds and 2 inches on his waste, all of it fat. The secret is to convince your body that you are starving and that it needs to burn fat. Since it turns out that it is easy to fool your metabolism, this works just fine. I see this in Shamire's future. Also, with slight diet changes, the weight loss is sustainable.

Mind, you feel like death warmed over part of the time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm serious about the "starve, then binge"diets; they're based on good science and they work fast. A colleague of mine has been on one for a week now. He has lost - drumroll, please - 7 pounds and 2 inches on his waste, all of it fat. The secret is to convince your body that you are starving and that it needs to burn fat. Since it turns out that it is easy to fool your metabolism, this works just fine. I see this in Shamire's future. Also, with slight diet changes, the weight loss is sustainable.

When your body thinks it's starving it goes into starvation mode where your metabolism slows down and you don't burn fat.

thwgjacket

That's a great way to atrophy the hell out of your muscles too. Your colleague is also probably dehydrated. What a great way for an athlete to go about losing weight, muscle atrophy and dehydration. Lol

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

What's he doing? Taking it out of the toilet and measuring it?????

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
What's he doing? Taking it out of the toilet and measuring it?????
Ewwww! ;)

I'm a firm believer in "set points". Once your body acclimates itself to a certain mass, it tends to want to stay there, within a range of minor fluctuations.

Right now Shamire's is about 30+ of where it needs to be. If he can knock that and keep it off, he will be more likely to readjust his set point and it will be easier for him to maintain it, as long as he continues to work out. @ATL1 has a very good point; running 45 min/day or similar can help cement this.

After having weight problems through about my mid-20's I did this and had no trouble for 30 years.

@dhbartlett12 is extremely lucky and I'm jealous. ;)

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the secret seems to be to keep your metabolism on a roller coaster so it can't react consistently. If your body thinks it is starving it initially burns fat. Phases of the diet my colleague is on do that, then, before your body can begin to store fat, you restore normal diet (well, something like it). That shuts things off until the next round. Our exercise science folks (my colleague asked them first) were cautious, but admitted that the science made sense. Potential problem = it could trigger eating disorders.

And, no, it isn't water weight or "waste"! My mistake on the last.