Devine sets weight goal

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Funniest line from the article
Devine’s definition of partying includes watching movies in his room and “eating fancy.”

In all seriousness I hope he can get his conditioning game on because any BB could run the dive behind him and pick up a guaranteed 3.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This isn't at all unrealistic for a guy as big as Shamire. We tend to forget just how small a proportion of his total weight 30 lbs. is.

One of the new "starve, then binge" diets would get 40 off of him in a couple of months. He'll need to lose that much to give him a cushion when the season starts. Provided he ends up with that big a loss, that is; I think 25 would do the trick.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Funniest line from the article

In all seriousness I hope he can get his conditioning game on because any BB could run the dive behind him and pick up a guaranteed 3.

That's hilarious - "I'm not inclined to say"

Blumkin/Midtown - I laughed out loud when reading this line - ” Asked what “eating fancy” meant, Devine replied, “I’m not inclined to say, because (offensive line) Coach (Mike) Sewak will read this.”

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
For reference from October 2014:

Q: You lost 20 pounds from when?
A: Mid-summer to now. And then last year to now is 40 pounds. Last year when I first got here in the summer to now is 40 pounds.

Q: How much do you weigh now?

A: Right now, I’m 354 and trying to get down to 345.
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/10/30/shamire-devine-qa/

So much pressure on the guy. He has a tough job.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
One of the cool things about football is that it can give a guy who struggles with his weight and is inclined to pack on the pounds eating unhealthily a chance to still demonstrate great athleticism.

These years playing football at a high level are now the best chance Shamire is likely to have in his entire life to break poor dietary habits. His love of watching movies and playing video games is also one that naturally goes with snacking and thus gaining weight. It is extremely difficult to overcome a lifetime developing bad eating habits but maybe since he is still young and now has trainers, coaches, and teammates to help him as well as hopefully an awareness of what his reaching his potential in football could do for the rest of his life and his family will motivate him to see it through.

He has all of the Jacket Nation rooting for him!

(As an aside, I understand but always find kind of strange/amusing the extent to which athletics makes men ask about, talk about, and follow with interest the bodily measurements of other men).

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the cool things about football is that it can give a guy who struggles with his weight and is inclined to pack on the pounds eating unhealthily a chance to still demonstrate great athleticism.

(As an aside, I understand but always find kind of strange/amusing the extent to which athletics makes men ask about, talk about, and follow with interest the bodily measurements of other men).

Baseball makes millionaires out of fat middle aged men too!
And its kinda gay, but oh well.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I empathize with Shamire and wish him all the very best.

I had a weight problem much of my teens and early 20s. Eating healthy foods is fine but they don't always give you the sustained top-end energy, for lack of a better way to put it, that you need.

I did best on Atkins, but I was not an athlete. Food, energy level and hard exercise are a real balancing act.

We have a nutritionist, right?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I empathize with Shamire and wish him all the very best.

I had a weight problem much of my teens and early 20s. Eating healthy foods is fine but they don't always give you the sustained top-end energy, for lack of a better way to put it, that you need.

I did best on Atkins, but I was not an athlete. Food, energy level and hard exercise are a real balancing act.

We have a nutritionist, right?
These guys have so much support it's not funny. I saw a short video a few years back that showed the team's nutritionist walking a couple of our players through a grocery store picking out healthy foods and training them how to do it for themselves. At some point it comes down to personal responsibility and plain ol' fashioned will power. They're not lacking for external motivation and support. Shamire has every reason is the world to get this done and plenty of people holding his hand, he just needs to do it.

It all boils down to something JT said in a recent interview, guys need to sacrifice for the good of the team and that means something different for each guy. It's all part of buying in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
His love of watching movies and playing video games is also one that naturally goes with snacking and thus gaining weight.
So glad I was not eating a donut when I read this. Just as easily could have been.

Side note about watching young men's bodies, it is so interesting to me that some guys, once they start the season, have trouble keeping their weight up while other guys are constantly fighting with their midsection. Two years ago some of us thought that if Devine played more he would play himself into shape. Apparently it is not that easy for him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks.. He's gonna always have issues with his weight.
He's diet will just have to be seriously limited.
Run 45 min a day.

If he loses 30 lbs and keeps it off he will play in the NFL. It's really that simple for him.
Simple for you and me. Maybe not so simple for him. He has been in the program 3 years without significant change. I have no idea what his routine is, but obviously it is not succeeding. If someone was shoving a suitcase full of cash in your direction if you lost 40 pounds, logic dictates that you would make the effort. But logic doesn't apply here. I think that Shamire will play at his current weight. He will play adequately, but will not make the leap necessary to fully realize his enormous (sic) upside.