Devin Cochran choosing to not enroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Short write up in the AJC

" Cochran has been finishing up his degree at Vanderbilt this summer. It isn’t unusual for an athlete planning to leave his original school as a grad transfer to finish coursework in the summer and transfer at that point. "
If you’re a certain NFL pick, there’s really no need to go through the grind of grad school (especially at a place like Tech) with uncertainty about how a season will play out, if there’s even a season at all. His decision makes sense, I just wish this year could’ve been normal and we would’ve got to see him on the field. I think his presence alone could’ve turned the tide from a loss to a win in at least one game. Oh well.

DonDonGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Like I have said before. This is another moot point, there will be no college football this year and we would have never seen him play for us anyways. Everything that’s happening right is just to have fresh news cycles. I repeat there will be no college football this year

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Like I have said before. This is another moot point, there will be no college football this year and we would have never seen him play for us anyways. Everything that’s happening right is just to have fresh news cycles. I repeat there will be no college football this year
Yeah there will be

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, we definitely need this discussion in multiple threads.....

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This will give freshmen a chance to rotate thru and maybe keep some redshirts while gaining valuable playing experience. We aren’t contending this year so let’s keep getting the young guys playing time so come 2021 we are ready to mark our mark and really get the recruiting going.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow

Milwaukee

Banned

But have you said before Don? We weren’t sure from the way you started your post.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I tend to agree but I think the money is too great for the schools not to try. All bets are off should players in other conferences propose boycotting too.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I noticed in the press conference that the players will be social distancing on the sideline. But I assume we’ll still huddle, block, tackle, chest bump, jump on each other after a great play, after all FB is a contact sport. (Sitting here scratching head.)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Barring the P12 movement catching on and the FBS players unionizing, I don’t see how any P5 program can afford not to play. P5 football 99% will be played in some form.

Cochran can do what is best for him. But this cuts our win total more than any other single player could have in my book.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
None? Zero games played?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously Cochran is a really good football player and had a ton of potential to help our team. But... how many times has the 'next great thing' from the offseason discussion not showed up when toe met leather... Patrick Skov, the return of Jabari Hunt-Days...? I could think of others. Point being, with him joining the team late in the middle of this chaotic season... I don't think it's automatic that he would have been a game changer. (Nothing against any of these players personally, just pointing out that our expectations as fans are rarely reality.)

On the flip side, how often has someone unexpected stepped up to be the story of the season? I'm excited to see which of our guys make big leaps in progress in year 2 in the system under Coach Key.

slugboy

Staff member
Barring the P12 movement catching on and the FBS players unionizing, I don’t see how any P5 program can afford not to play. P5 football 99% will be played in some form.

Cochran can do what is best for him. But this cuts our win total more than any other single player could have in my book.
It cuts either way, but it cuts deep on the haves and the have nots. Schools like Wisconsin are looking for more donations because they’ll lose a huge amount of revenue from ticket sales and other sources—they could lose $40 million even if they play, with fewer people in the stand, and they say they could lose $100 million if they don’t play at all (https://www.channel3000.com/uw-athl...campaign-in-attempt-to-recoup-revenue-losses/).

Even though some money making machines might have enough income saved for a rainy day to weather a few bad years, I’ve read that most programs lose money on a yearly basis. (This might tell some of the story, but it’s hard to say even with public universities: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/)

(If it’s not clear, I’m agreeing that schools can’t afford not to play unless they’re just going to drop their programs, or limp along for years after this trying to come back).

I don’t think they’d report that Cochran wasn’t coming unless he wasn’t going to be able to make it at all. I’ve heard it’s possible that after graduating in the summer he might still be able to, but the fun final year he was looking for might be COVID-ed away. We may still be more fun than anyone else.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
man 2020 really is a Terrible, Awful, Horrible, very bad, no good year.

Increased bulk on both lines was something I was looking forward to.. Bye bye as Henderson and Cochran opt out.

This is tough, but I understand that kids are trying to safe space, and don't begrudge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.