Demetrius Knight position change

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't have a problem with that. But, my God!, you'd think half the armchair warriors on this message board...well, never mind. It's a message board.

"Armchair warrior"? Speak for yourself, brolio.

These young dudes're lucky I exhausted all my eligibility.....

...and skill ... and athleticism... and speed, and pretty much every other thing you need to play major d1 ball so .... wait, what was I trying to say again?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
"Armchair warrior"? Speak for yourself, brolio.

These young dudes're lucky I exhausted all my eligibility.....

...and skill ... and athleticism... and speed, and pretty much every other thing you need to play major d1 ball so .... wait, what was I trying to say again?
Wasn't talking about you, but...it amazes me how many of us actually think we know more than the coaches that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) every year to actually make these decisions. It just amazes me.

My comments are absolutely a little TiC, but after a while, it does start to get...less comical.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I understand this is his decision, but I think he is going to wind up being a bench warmer with no chance of playing time.
And for him the decision may have been to be a bench warmer as a LB or a bench warmer as a QB. Maybe he even feels that he could get into the mix as the 3rd string QB and maybe give Yates a run for his money as the backup. Who knows. And it could just be him feeling like he isn't enjoying playing LB and he wants to be doing something he liked which was QB.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My speculation is that the coaches are preparing him as an 'emergency QB'.

When Sims came out of the Pitt game, Yates went in. If Yates had gone down, did we have a QB to put in? Graham and Gleason have left/are leaving. IIUC, walk-ons weren't traveling/dressing with the teams this year due to Covid.

Who knows what the protocols will be next year? We need at least 3 scholarship players ready to go in at QB. Even if we have to run a limited package with someone.

What if Yates decides to leave too? What if Peery isn't ATL or doesn't travel next year? What if (knock on wood) something happens with one of those three that they can't play.

My guess is the coaches looked at the roster to see who could play QB if needed. Knight was a QB all the way up through HS. Kind of like how baseball teams usually have two catchers on the roster, but there's a position player who played catcher in HS ready in an emergency.

I speculate they'll have Knight work at QB in Spring and have an idea of what he can do if needed. Move him back to LB mostly in the Summer. Maybe use him as a situation QB - wildcat, goal line, etc to get him reps. Maybe use him as a holder for field goals, as a big danger to fake. That's one way to keep the blockers honest, have Knight run fake field goal a few times. Positional flexibility.

I'd also guess that moving Graham to another position and having him as emergency QB was their first choice. But he wanted to play QB. Knight is a very similar type of player.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CGC touched on it during his post signing day presser. Knight's first love is QB, and the staff asked him to move to LB last year...which he was more than happy to do. Of course, as @BCJacket points out, there's probably a strategic coaching component to letting him move there as well.

As with anything, we're just overanalyzing it. I thought Knight had a bright future at LB as he flashed a LOT of potential in 2019...and he was probably our fastest LB. However, he didn't play a lot of snaps this season for a reason. He's still young, so it's not like he can't move back.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wasn't talking about you, but...it amazes me how many of us actually think we know more than the coaches that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) every year to actually make these decisions. It just amazes me.

My comments are absolutely a little TiC, but after a while, it does start to get...less comical.

I hear you.

My comments about my athleticism are not a little TiC, sadly. :confused:

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins and staff have in the past given players the opportunity to try other positions at their request. From what I heard, Knight requested an opportunity to try qb so he will get a shot. The coaches may also feel good about our three true freshmen at least for the spring. Also thought I read somewhere that Tatum was planning on enrolling early.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins and staff have in the past given players the opportunity to try other positions at their request. From what I heard, Knight requested an opportunity to try qb so he will get a shot. The coaches may also feel good about our three true freshmen at least for the spring. Also thought I read somewhere that Tatum was planning on enrolling early.
Two true freshmen and a RS Freshman? The three will have 6 Spring Practices (well, 5 really if you count last year as a 1/2 Spring) by the time next fall rolls around. That just sounds weird, doesn't it?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is a worst case scenario type move for SPRING!

You want 4 schollie guys there for the Spring. It may say a lot about the staff thoughts on either Knights develop or the staff being ready to give Meiguez and Frank’s their shot
That part about Meiguez and Franks is exciting

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Transfer to KSU, play their spring season, start at QB for them in the fall, then try to make an NFL roster as an athlete.
Honestly he wasn't the worse corner, but I think it is a big stretch for him to make it to the league as a DB. He is best to make a roster on special teams like Cottrell. He doesn't have a position and don't think he is skilled enough at one position to be in the league other than special teams.