Demar hamlin

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
It's scary as hell....

Once upon a time NATS had a DB from Florida named Rick Cornwell who was as hard a hitter as Giles Smith, Billy Kinard, Gary Faulkner, or any of the other ensuing era GT DBs known for being hard hitters.

Can't remember if it was Spring Practice of 1969 or 1970, but Rick delivered a hit during a live drill/scrimmage that we just thought knocked him out. Trainers' ammonia capsules didn't bring him back. Next thing we knew the Team Doctor (and Resident MD at the old GT 5th Street Infirmary), Dr. Lamont Henry, was working feverishly over him.

We never thought too highly of Dr. Henry until that moment, but we later learned Doc Henry not only got Rick awake, but saved Rick's life.

Rick spent maybe a week in the hospital - maybe Crawford Long or Piedmont - then finished out his career as a Student Assistant Coach.

Like I said, it's scary as hell. And I hope my grandson continues to play soccer.....

JacketFan137

Banned
really tough to imagine what the family and teams are going through. can’t imagine what his family at the game must be thinking. watching your son play a MASSIVE game with all these playoff implications and then the absolute unthinkable happens