Del Alexander - New WR Coach

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Reading his bio on Norte Dame football site - has lots of info.
Guy has serious amount of quality expierence. Seems like a steady guy. Glad to get him on staff.

Could this be " the " hire.?

Maybe he helps get a "ready to go tall fast wr" from portal.

Signing a very high 4 *star WR recruit in the 23 would be a clear strategic improvement - that CGC needs to accomplish in order to not be fired.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sure is a lot of solid experienced hires for a sinking ship.

I don't think coaches think the same way as (most of) us civilians do. They are used to swtitching jobs frequently so a one year gig (with a two year contract) is not something that would scare a lot of them away. They probably see it as a way to show an immediate impact. From my experience it's MUCH easier to show substantial gains in performance when taking over a poorly performing organization. While landing a gig at Bama or Ohio State probably looks good on a resume it is much more unlikely that a coach can show quantitative improvement over the 2 or 3 guys previous who held the same job. Your results can be dismissed as a function of the system, the HC or the talent you inherited.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When the opportunity and need are there, you turn to those you know and trust. Seems perfectly logical to me.
BUT U GIVE THE ONES THAT RODE WITH YOU A GOOD CHANCE TO FIND A NEW GIG.

MY FREIND ANDY MAC GOT DUMPED ON THE SIDE WALK AFTER STAYING TO BRING IN THE NEW RECRUITING CLASS.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Andy Macollom was one of the former coaches that should have been retained IMO. Excellent recruiter, experienced and terrific with the kids on the team. Would like to see him back someday.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
BUT U GIVE THE ONES THAT RODE WITH YOU A GOOD CHANCE TO FIND A NEW GIG.

MY FREIND ANDY MAC GOT DUMPED ON THE SIDE WALK AFTER STAYING TO BRING IN THE NEW RECRUITING CLASS.
You should really stop using ALL CAPS. It's considered rude.

Sounds like you have a personal grief that has nothing to do with this coaching staff unless there was some sort of quid pro quo agreed to. If there was, then shame on the current regime. I have nothing but mad respect for CAM.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You should really stop using ALL CAPS. It's considered rude.

Sounds like you have a personal grief that has nothing to do with this coaching staff unless there was some sort of quid pro quo agreed to. If there was, then shame on the current regime. I have nothing but mad respect for CAM.
Sorry about the all caps.
Didn't mean to offend.

The strategic decision by Tstan and CGC to rapidly hire all new staff at end of CPJ was not necessary. CAM signed up the recruiting class and thought a spot remained for him. With CAM s knowledge and contacts around the south he, key, and CGC could have assembled a better staff day 1. Plus they would have had better relationship w cpj.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sorry about the all caps.
Didn't mean to offend.

The strategic decision by Tstan and CGC to rapidly hire all new staff at end of CPJ was not necessary. CAM signed up the recruiting class and thought a spot remained for him. With CAM s knowledge and contacts around the south he, key, and CGC could have assembled a better staff day 1. Plus they would have had better relationship w cpj.
I really like CAM. I thought he would be the 1 coach to stay. I was sorry that he didn't. Disappointed that the communication wasn't better or that the players didn't act better, whichever it was.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
In hindsight 20/20, it seems as if "EVERYONE" wanted to wipe the CPJ era from the books and rebuild the program starting with digging new footings, instead of just doing a major remodel . That included even many gifted players, IMO. It seemed to me at the time that not too much thought was given to doing a gradual transition, especially on offense. For instance, Tobias Oliver could have been given a look at QB, especially in Red zone situations. By proclaming a "total rebuild".......like no one has ever attempted before(sic), they seemed to want to flatten the expectation curve and buy time with the fanbase. That might have worked 5-10 years ago, but not in CFB today. Short attention spans in fans, media, recruits, have shortened CGC's honeymoon. Up to now, he has appeared to be out of his depth, and constantly trying to put a happy face on the program. If "certain players that will not be named, but have spent 3 years being coached in the program" do not start performing like ACC calibre players this year, they might as well "stick the fork in" CGC.........he will be done.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
In hindsight 20/20, it seems as if "EVERYONE" wanted to wipe the CPJ era from the books and rebuild the program starting with digging new footings, instead of just doing a major remodel . That included even many gifted players, IMO. It seemed to me at the time that not too much thought was given to doing a gradual transition, especially on offense. For instance, Tobias Oliver could have been given a look at QB, especially in Red zone situations. By proclaming a "total rebuild".......like no one has ever attempted before(sic), they seemed to want to flatten the expectation curve and buy time with the fanbase. That might have worked 5-10 years ago, but not in CFB today. Short attention spans in fans, media, recruits, have shortened CGC's honeymoon. Up to now, he has appeared to be out of his depth, and constantly trying to put a happy face on the program. If "certain players that will not be named, but have spent 3 years being coached in the program" do not start performing like ACC calibre players this year, they might as well "stick the fork in" CGC.........he will be done.

You do realize Tobias started vs. Clemson & vs Temple?