Deja Vu all over again?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
No way anyone gets fired if we make a bowl game this year. Have you even seen the schedule for 2015?

This. So much this. A season that gives any kind of hope for next year is back for next year. It's not worth a fifteenth thread, imo.

But I look at conference records as more important than just overall. I also look at offense, defense, and special teams as individual units as well as over all team performance. I also consider overtime losses differently from blowout losses when judging coaching.

No losing record is the only way he is fired... I believe we win 9 this year

I think you are right about Johnson being retained, even if he goes 6-6. But I feel you are sadly mistaken about us winning nine games, even if that is 8 plus a bowl win. That would be winning all six of the games we "should" win and then winning at least 3 of Miami, Va Tech, UNC, Pittsburgh, Georgia, and Clemson. That would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Satisfying Season

Win all: Wofford, @Tulane, Georgia Southern, @NC State, UVA,

Split: Duke, @UNC,@Pitt, @VT

Go 1-2: Miami, Clemson, @UGA

8-4

Good Season

Win All: Wofford, @Tulane, Georgia Southern, @NCST, UVA

Go 3-1: Duke, @UNC, @Pitt, @VT

Go 1-2: Miami, Clemson, @UGA

9-3

Great Season

Go 3-1: Duke, @UNC, @Pitt, @VT

Go 2-1: Miami, Clemson, @UGA

10-2

Piss My Pants Season

Go 4-0: Duke, @UNC, @Pitt, @VT

Go 3-0: Miami, Clemson, @UGA

12-0

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thought.Right now ,this class look good but is not in category of 07 plus that class was in school when CG left.
I think we will struggle to 7-5,but if IMPROVING at end and wins bowl,he may be ok.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So often the '07 Class is held as a comparison for the current recruiting classes. The problem is that '07 only happened once. We've had good recruiting classes in the past, but never one like '07. I think we had 8-9 4* players 8-9 3* players and 2 2* players. I don't think that's ever happened at Tech before. Of those 8-9 4* guys, I know we lost several to transfer or other reasons (Willie White, D.J. Donley, Steven Threet) and some under-performed for 4* players (Jason Peters, Nick Claytor). On the flip side, I think Dwyer, Morgan and Burnett were probably 5* athletes.

I believe that's a great benchmark to strive for, but we've also only won the MNC 4 times in 122 years. Let's strive for excellence in recruiting and let the chips fall where they may on the field. I think last year we got some 1-8 players. I think so far this year we've got more 1-8 players. I think Custis could have been as good as Dwyer by the end. I think some of these new guys coming in could be as good as DT was in college. Gotsis has played better than Peters did early on.

I think we're better today than we were under Gailey's regime. I think the optimism for improvement is higher among the average fans and among the well-connected fans. I think there is a vocal minority (especially on boards) who don't see things getting better. I think the next 2-3 years will tell the story, and it won't be fully told before then. In my opinion, nothing changes at the top until after 2016, and only if things go south from here.

thwgjacket

What is this whoa is me attitude that infects our fans like a plague? Wofford, Tulane, GSU are all wins. UVA and NCST are dumpster fires. Both wins. We're supposed to be nervous about UNC and Duke? When is the last time they have beaten us? Both wins. Pitt loses their starting QB and best DL. It's a win. That's 8 wins. VT, Miami, Ugag and Clemson are all so hazy right now with the players they lost that it's really impossible to predict those at this point. We have a strong secondary and LB core. Eric seems to think we'll be fine on the DL. Our offense will be steady at worst.

Tired of people acting like we should be scared of UNC, Duke and Pitt. It's starting to get old.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
For the most part we didn't know how good the 07 class was till 09. We won't really know how good this class is for at least a couple years.

IMO Dwyer, D, Thomas, and D. Morgan were the players to really put that 07 class over the top.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What is this whoa is me attitude that infects our fans like a plague? Wofford, Tulane, GSU are all wins. UVA and NCST are dumpster fires. Both wins. We're supposed to be nervous about UNC and Duke? When is the last time they have beaten us? Both wins. Pitt loses their starting QB and best DL. It's a win. That's 8 wins. VT, Miami, Ugag and Clemson are all so hazy right now with the players they lost that it's really impossible to predict those at this point. We have a strong secondary and LB core. Eric seems to think we'll be fine on the DL. Our offense will be steady at worst.

Tired of people acting like we should be scared of UNC, Duke and Pitt. It's starting to get old.

Man I wish i could like this 10x.

D Thomas was part of the '06 class

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Man I wish i could like this 10x.

D Thomas was part of the '06 class

Totally agree. It is true that we could loose 10 and that PJ is actually Satan in disguise, but I am optimistic about the season anyway with good reason. Tech grads, which I am not, should be proud that every year the prognosticators expectations are almost always exceeded and that Tech often beats teams that grade out with much higher talent.

Some other sites seem to be overly optimistic as well...about the past. They think we can hire Bobby Dodd #2 if we can just fire PJ; that Tech's high academic standards and curriculum aren't a hindrance to recruiting and keeping athletes so long as you have the "right recruiters", that the offense is archaic etc. However I think Dodd will not return but PJ is a fine (not perfect) coach, good Tech prospects are not common and that the offense is fun to watch, successful and somewhat unique, just like Tech.

I am also looking forward to next year!