Deja Vu all over again?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Not long ago we had a coach mired in mediocrity. I wasn't around to experience it, but the fanbase was not content. He finally got his roots established and recruited a strong class. Fired before those men matured into starters.

Are we going to repeat the past if this year's recruiting class keeps getting bigger/better and the youngsters in key positions don't overachieve, ie get 8 or 9 wins?

Just wondering what the consensus would be.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we go 6 wins with losses to UGA, CLEM, VT, and MIA again I think he could get fired. Anything over 6 wins and I think he will stay. I am very much a PJ supporter so I want him to get us to 9-10 wins again.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
As long as we continue winning games we are supposed to win and graduating players, he'll stay. The decision makers have made their priorities known.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Not long ago we had a coach mired in mediocrity. I wasn't around to experience it, but the fanbase was not content. He finally got his roots established and recruited a strong class. Fired before those men matured into starters.

Are we going to repeat the past if this year's recruiting class keeps getting bigger/better and the youngsters in key positions don't overachieve, ie get 8 or 9 wins?

Nope! Unless the wheels fall off. Expect CPJ to retire here. 2014 should be decent with 2015 getting better and better. Vad not working out will hold us back for a little while.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
exactly, we're still in freakin' june.

Look at the bright side, we only have 10 commits we can lose so far .......

Seriously, we are ahead of where we usually are. At this point in the year we had 9, 7, 6 and 6 for the 14, 13, 12 and 11 recruiting classes respectively. Of course, if some of our commits de-commit, the 10 will go down. But this class just seems more solid that most and ready for some more talent. It may be just Eric providing all the information, but we seem to be filling key spots ......

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With mediocre record this year, We must not fire coach this year.
(Fixed x, but now y is broken could continue but

That would only be minor motivation for moderate adjustments during the hire process.
We should let 2015 schedule where our level of play against fsu and nd and uga place the performance level of our program on national stage for the ad to act. If we are embarrassed and have not beaten uga by end of 2015' it will be obvious To ENOUGH ALUMNI we need a major change.

I MO we will be very good this year, and will be good to very good next year, with coach getting an extension.
I like the recruiting this year. Coach seems to have energetic assistant coaches, and he has his swagger.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Eight of those would need to be 4 stars to be equivalent.

Well 3 of them of 5.7 3*, 3 of them are 5.6 3* on Rivals. 4* ranking on Rivals start at 5.8 so Tech has 6 of it's 10 commitments within .2 of being 4*. I defy anybody to be good enough to rate a player 3* or 4* when .1 is the statistical difference. If the '15 class continues with the quality already on board I feel comfortable comparing it to the '07 class.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
Well 3 of them of 5.7 3*, 3 of them are 5.6 3* on Rivals. 4* ranking on Rivals start at 5.8 so Tech has 6 of it's 10 commitments within .2 of being 4*. I defy anybody to be good enough to rate a player 3* or 4* when .1 is the statistical difference. If the '15 class continues with the quality already on board I feel comfortable comparing it to the '07 class.
All three stars are 5.5 to 5.7. So tons of them are within .2 of a four star.

Compare offer sheets. We were beating out Ugag, UF, Bama, UT, FSU, LSU, Clem, etc etc for those kids. Those guys were A-Listers for top 10 schools.

We are not getting elite sought after talent like that this year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
All three stars are 5.5 to 5.7. So tons of them are within .2 of a four star.

Compare offer sheets. We were beating out Ugag, UF, Bama, UT, FSU, LSU, Clem, etc etc for those kids. Those guys were A-Listers for top 10 schools.

We are not getting elite sought after talent like that this year.

And of course none of Tech's commitments has FBS school offers. We'll just agree to disagree.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If he has another mediocre year, and retains his job after 7 years, it should really enhance the appeal of the job when he does leave (for whatever reason). Unless, of course, the hill continues to try and destroy our sports programs.

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan

As long as the "Hill" persists in making unreasonable demands regarding admissions, the triple option is about the only equalizer that I can see. Johnson is the acknowledged master of this offense. It is nothing short of remarkable that Georgia Tech has managed to generate the yards rushing and points during his tenure with admittedly ordinary talent especially along the offensive line. Would I like to see us go 12 - 0? Sure, but the likelihood of it happening without the ever elusive 8 difference makers he is forever talking about is virtually nil. Recruiting nationally is going to become a must if we are to break out of this mediocrity. The efforts of Coach Pelton and Roof are much appreciated and has begun to pay dividends. It is apparent to me that we have more talent on defense which may be the way to go. Coach Johnson can almost always scheme around inadequate talent on offense but we have to have difference makers and more depth on defense. Just my two cents.

thwgjacket

It all depends on which recruiting site you look at. For some reason ESPN seems to like our guys a lot more than other sites. Examples being Philpott this year, probably Cottrell too. Also Lewis, Leggett, Durham and Autry from last year. All 4-stars on ESPN.