Defensive Lineman and Linebackers

Garland

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems like Georgia Tech has lost a great number of defensive lineman and linebackers this season either by injuries, transfers, or opting out. The ones I know of are Kelton Dawson, Chris Martin, Justice Dingle, Cornelius Evans, Sylvain Yondjouen, Jaquan Henderson, Kendall Young, Jahaziel Lee, D T Chimedza, and Antonneous Clayton. Who am I missing?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Curtis Ryans has missed time with injury this season. Antwan Owens as well. I believe both are back now though.

It seems like Georgia Tech has lost a great number of defensive lineman and linebackers this season either by injuries, transfers, or opting out. The ones I know of are Kelton Dawson, Chris Martin, Justice Dingle, Cornelius Evans, Sylvain Yondjouen, Jaquan Henderson, Kendall Young, Jahaziel Lee, D T Chimedza, and Antonneous Clayton. Who am I missing?

What happened to JaQuon Griffin?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Ryans and Domineck have both missed games too.

Jolly Good Fellow
It's the math.
Why can't Tech recruit 4-5* DTs?
Math..... I'll explain...
The first kids ID'd as sure-fire college talent are DTs. If you are 6'4 280# 14 yr old 8th grader with anything resembling quick feet, you are going to play college FB somewhere. No other position is as easily extrapolated or projected....
(RBs, for counter example, are a dime a dozen and difficult to differentiate in HS games.. this is how we ended up with Gibbs... we were early visitors to Dalton and Choice developed relationship before UT/UGa/Ala showed up begging...)
So these Baby Huey giants know they are going to college to play FB at 14.... and since it is no longer a requirement that children take any mathematics course after 9th grade in public schools, they don't... I'm not saying that they don't take Calculus, I'm telling you that they don't take arithmetic after 8th grade..... and therefore, no matter how dumbed-down Tech entry requirements have become, these guys will not qualify to come here......Nor do they want to...because, MATH.
And, of course, it isn't good enough to have one or even two of these 4* DTs as they only play 35-40 plays per game...so you need 4......GT ain't getting 4 Adam Gotsis's.....ever ....
Which is why I think we need to quit trying to be Alabama and be 1999 Miss State...3-3-5 and bring 6 or 7 on every play.....
We signed our next "Calvin Johnson" this year in the DE/edge kid from Alcoa.... this should be our new protype target...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's the math.
Why can't Tech recruit 4-5* DTs?
Math..... I'll explain...
The first kids ID'd as sure-fire college talent are DTs. If you are 6'4 280# 14 yr old 8th grader with anything resembling quick feet, you are going to play college FB somewhere. No other position is as easily extrapolated or projected....
(RBs, for counter example, are a dime a dozen and difficult to differentiate in HS games.. this is how we ended up with Gibbs... we were early visitors to Dalton and Choice developed relationship before UT/UGa/Ala showed up begging...)
So these Baby Huey giants know they are going to college to play FB at 14.... and since it is no longer a requirement that children take any mathematics course after 9th grade in public schools, they don't... I'm not saying that they don't take Calculus, I'm telling you that they don't take arithmetic after 8th grade..... and therefore, no matter how dumbed-down Tech entry requirements have become, these guys will not qualify to come here......Nor do they want to...because, MATH.
And, of course, it isn't good enough to have one or even two of these 4* DTs as they only play 35-40 plays per game...so you need 4......GT ain't getting 4 Adam Gotsis's.....ever ....
Which is why I think we need to quit trying to be Alabama and be 1999 Miss State...3-3-5 and bring 6 or 7 on every play.....
We signed our next "Calvin Johnson" this year in the DE/edge kid from Alcoa.... this should be our new protype target...
Sounds good except that you can't get a college prep high school diploma from a public school in Georgia without (4) Maths including (1) Advanced Math.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would like to pick up a couple of linemen transfers on both sides of the ball every year in the portal. Already mature and ready to go.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
So we have 19 commits and a transfer in Hendley?
Any speculation on DT’s or others upcoming for E.S.D.?
Admittedly out of the loop this year.