Defensive Depth

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
The most frustrating thing for me today watching the game was the realization that we have zero depth on our defensive front seven. A couple of points:

- We only play 3 defensive tackles (I think). Did Kallon get any snaps today? There were a couple of plays where Green was tapping to come to of the game, but Gamble was already subbing for Gotsis so he had to stay for a few more plays. Watching Ole Miss and A&M tonight, they are rotating 8 players on the D-Line. We just don't have the ability to do that.

- When we knew Duke planned to run the ball in 4th quarter, we were forced to play a safety (Smith or Austin) as our 3rd linebacker. I was curious why we couldn't play Q, Marcordes and Davis.

- In short yardage and goalline situations, we don't have enough bodies to go to a true "heavy" package on defense. Our solution is to line Davis up as a defensive end and walk two safeties up as linebackers.

I realize that attrition has killed us here. I hope we are able to recruit our way out of this....soon. At this point, I am not sure we can recruit too many defensive linemen.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I understand the concept and reasoning for the 4-2-5 but I don't understand why we would use a safety as a lnebacker in obvious run situations? And in certain situations why not try some 3-4 with Shawn Green as the nose, Gotsis at DE, get more linebackers on the field and get a better rotation on the d-line

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
At this point I would start working in some 3-3-5. Our front 4 are just out there IMO. Gostis, Green and Freeman are the only ones having an impact. The times we got pressure on Duke was when they blew an assignment.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Its a bit late in the year to trot out a new scheme like 3-3-5. Not saying it can't be done but it would have to be a limited package for that alignment imo.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Its a bit late in the year to trot out a new scheme like 3-3-5. Not saying it can't be done but it would have to be a limited package for that alignment imo.

That is what I meant. We (I think) worked on it during camp. I think it could be used against some of the teams depending on the situation. Not a complete game.