Defenses Under CPJ

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents: CPJ will never have a defense better than mediocre until he wants it. The big problem is he really only wants to be an offensive coordinator; without having to answer to a boss*. He pays minimal interest and attention on defense and special teams. He's stated that his involvement with the defense is one meeting during game week to hear the game plan. His quote at Miami halftime was hugely telling: “I tried to run the clock all the way down. I guess 40 seconds was too long.” 'I' being the offense. And 40 seconds was too long for them: the defense. A team divided against itself will never live up to its potential.

When he hired Groh, the whole idea was to have a "head coach for the defense". Sorry, but if you're not the head coach for the whole team, you're not a head coach.

CPJ treats defense as a second priority. So, is it really any surprise that he's had second-rate defenses? When have his defenses improved? In short term spurts when CPJ has actually gotten involved with defense: After Groh was fired, when CPJ worked with Kelly to turn things around. And in 2016 when CPJ demanded more aggression. CPJ is one of the best strategic coaches in the country and he's not using that resource in 2/3 of the phases of the game.

A 4th DC isn't going to make a difference. Unless, CPJ makes his defense a priority on par with his offense.

(*I also feel like this is an issue for recruiting and media exposure/PR for the program. He doesn't like the off-field duties of being a head coach. And he doesn't put 100% effort into them. He doesn't seem to realize or care that they're all interrelated. Want more money, better facilities and better players for your offense? Get out there and sell what you're doing to the fans, the recruits, and the media.)

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents: CPJ will never have a defense better than mediocre until he wants it. The big problem is he really only wants to be an offensive coordinator; without having to answer to a boss*. He pays minimal interest and attention on defense and special teams. He's stated that his involvement with the defense is one meeting during game week to hear the game plan. His quote at Miami halftime was hugely telling: “I tried to run the clock all the way down. I guess 40 seconds was too long.” 'I' being the offense. And 40 seconds was too long for them: the defense. A team divided against itself will never live up to its potential.

When he hired Groh, the whole idea was to have a "head coach for the defense". Sorry, but if you're not the head coach for the whole team, you're not a head coach.

CPJ treats defense as a second priority. So, is it really any surprise that he's had second-rate defenses? When have his defenses improved? In short term spurts when CPJ has actually gotten involved with defense: After Groh was fired, when CPJ worked with Kelly to turn things around. And in 2016 when CPJ demanded more aggression. CPJ is one of the best strategic coaches in the country and he's not using that resource in 2/3 of the phases of the game.

A 4th DC isn't going to make a difference. Unless, CPJ makes his defense a priority on par with his offense.

(*I also feel like this is an issue for recruiting and media exposure/PR for the program. He doesn't like the off-field duties of being a head coach. And he doesn't put 100% effort into them. He doesn't seem to realize or care that they're all interrelated. Want more money, better facilities and better players for your offense? Get out there and sell what you're doing to the fans, the recruits, and the media.)
Absolutely dead spot on!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Agree in general, but coach is good person one on one. I do dislike him yelling at ol guys , but i believe he does it out of a deep effection and belief iin in what they do. Not sure that translate s to regular viewer. Yea, I wish he was an openly enthusiastic person, but as he says " it is what it is"

As to numbers and not opinions ; please consider the following: If the offense is his, he and it needs to show up in crunch time at end of next year. This year we ended with approx 1 point a quarter in last 6 for the season. That's terrible.

A repeat of anything like 15 and last half of 17 will require deep self evaluation.

But let us allow that play out. Perhaps we will have an animated and enthusiastic d c. I think we have the makings of a great season. Of course I thought that last year.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

PJ absolutely pays attention to defense and special teams (if he didn't why the hell would he hire two different special teams coaches). He doesn't like to have to be involved too much because he believes that's what he hires a staff to do, but it's not like he doesn't get involved. He has made numerous comments about getting more involved over the years. Do you think Dabo is all in Venables business every day? PJ has made numerous references to going over the game plan with the defensive staff. That is something they do every week regardless of success or failure, I.e. he doesn't wait until things go poorly to be "involved".

As far as off the field stuff? You honestly think the media would help with anything? I have seen no evidence that PJ isn't really good with fans. Morons calling in to the show and calling his recruits scrubs doesn't count.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach is good person one on one.

You're right. Made me think of CPJs appearance on Jeff Shultz's "We Never Played the Game" podcast. That was great. CPJ just talking and telling stories. He's really funny and personable one-on-one. Which is why I feel like he's selling himself short. He doesn't do great with stupidity; the call in show, dumb/obvious press conference questions, Steak Shapiro. If the media office put him in situations better suited to his strengths it'd probably be a big help.

Thinking about the "flagship" radio station; a one-on-one football talk with Buck Belue or Brian Finneran would be waayyyy better exposure than CPJ calling in to have Steak and Sandra ask why he doesn't throw the ball more.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I know everyone is different but I would think that working for CPJ as a DC would be a dream. Your boss is only mad and talking to you if you're sucking at your job. Otherwise you have autonomy to do whatever you want however you want. Sign me up for a boss like that all day every day.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Agree in general, but coach is good person one on one. I do dislike him yelling at ol guys , but i believe he does it out of a deep effection and belief iin in what they do. Not sure that translate s to regular viewer. Yea, I wish he was an openly enthusiastic person, but as he says " it is what it is"

As to numbers and not opinions ; please consider the following: If the offense is his, he and it needs to show up in crunch time at end of next year. This year we ended with approx 1 point a quarter in last 6 for the season. That's terrible.

A repeat of anything like 15 and last half of 17 will require deep self evaluation.

But let us allow that play out. Perhaps we will have an animated and enthusiastic d c. I think we have the makings of a great season. Of course I thought that last year.
I remember my high school coach telling us if I yell and get on you it's because I know you can do better, if I don't then you have a problem .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
As far as off the field stuff? You honestly think the media would help with anything? I have seen no evidence that PJ isn't really good with fans. Morons calling in to the show and calling his recruits scrubs doesn't count.

He is very good with the media when he is outside of Atlanta. The jerks on the GT "flagship" station get off on asking questions like "what will it take for GT to be able to compete with a bottom or mid-layer SEC team?". When he then points out that GT is 3-2 against the SEC in the past two years, so have been competitive against even the top layers of the SEC, the guys on the radio spend the next hour talking about how CPJ has an inferiority complex against the SEC and can't stop trash talking against them. Atlanta radio, especially 680, has a series of scripted screaming matches similar to the current ESPN shows. The "sports" discussion is merely a vehicle to support a side-show of hyped up arguments.(and in the afternoon repeated-repeated-repeated sound samples)

If you listen to him when he is interviewed by people who actually ask sports questions and discuss sports he does an extremely good job. Those guys usually praise him for the discussions and how honest he is with his answers instead of providing "coach speak" non-answers.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
(*I also feel like this is an issue for recruiting and media exposure/PR for the program. He doesn't like the off-field duties of being a head coach. And he doesn't put 100% effort into them. He doesn't seem to realize or care that they're all interrelated. Want more money, better facilities and better players for your offense? Get out there and sell what you're doing to the fans, the recruits, and the media.)[/QUOTE]

Shhhhhhh.....
People here seem to think ornory and cantankerous is good for the program.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I am not sure where this narrative keeps coming from, but I don't believe it to be correct. CPJs demeanor isn't as charismatic as some would prefer, but to equate that to disinterest or lack of effort is, IMO, misguided.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It just makes absolutely no sense to me that Georgia Tech can't simply go out and hire one of the best offensive coaches in the country who is also integral to running a successful defense and can market the program and recruit with the best coaches in America. Those guys are literally knocking down Georgia Tech's door. In fact, a line of exactly those types of coaches are begging to be the 40th highest paid D1 coach in America, so long as they can do it at Tech. Why won't Tech just hire one of those guys. I don't get it. It is so frustrating. Argh!!!

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Shhhhhhh.....
People here seem to think ornory and cantankerous is good for the program.[/QUOTE]

Our fanbase is made up of ornery and cantankerous engineers who loathe marketing, sales, and soft skills. They’ve found their hero.

quadf

Georgia Tech Fan
PJ absolutely pays attention to defense and special teams (if he didn't why the hell would he hire two different special teams coaches). He doesn't like to have to be involved too much because he believes that's what he hires a staff to do, but it's not like he doesn't get involved. He has made numerous comments about getting more involved over the years. Do you think Dabo is all in Venables business every day? PJ has made numerous references to going over the game plan with the defensive staff. That is something they do every week regardless of success or failure, I.e. he doesn't wait until things go poorly to be "involved".

Excellent example. Dabo hired the best coords he could to manage both the offense and defense for him. Clearly it hasn't been an issue for Clemson.

If cpj's strength is more aligned to offense, i dont see why would anyone want him to manage defense directly instead of trying to hire someone more skilled at coaching defense than he is. I find the conflation of giving autonomy to his dc with antipathy towards the defense to be primarily for support an existing narrative, not because its born out by facts.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
It also depends on what style of play you want. Navy plays a conservative defense, perhaps even more conservative than Coach Ted Roof's scheme. The reasoning behind that is because Navy knows that if you get a high number of possessions in a game, the more talented team will generally win out in the end. With a bend-don't-break defense, Navy can artificially limit the number of possessions in a game and force opponents to beat them with efficiency, something that Navy has been incredibly good at. Two years ago, Navy held Notre Dame to only 6 possessions and won the game because of that. A lot of people forget that this type of defense - bend-don't-break - was lauded only a few years ago and claimed to be perfect when paired with our offense because it limits the amount of possessions in a game, and since we were one of the most efficient teams offensively we had a great chance at beating better teams, such as the Clemsons, Alabamas, and Ohio States of the world

Now, everyone is saying that an aggressive defense is the key and perfectly paired with our offense. I don't think that's exactly true. If you give up big plays and scores, then you put the offense in a hole that forces us to deviate from our base offense and requires us to air out the ball, which we've seen does not have good results. Frankly, I think a lot of the animosity behind Coach Roof's defense came from the fact that it wasn't fun to watch, in the same way many people hate Coach Johnson's offense. I think a lot of people want to see something more aggressive because it is more fun to watch. My philosophy is: the best defense is one that works. It doesn't matter whether it is conservative or aggressive, as long as it works

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure where this narrative keeps coming from, but I don't believe it to be correct. CPJs demeanor isn't as charismatic as some would prefer, but to equate that to disinterest or lack of effort is, IMO, misguided.

That's totally fair. I didn't intend to impugn CPJs effort or dedication to the team. I should have said "It seems like he doesn't put 100% effort into them." Unfortunately, in media and PR; appearance and narrative are what matter.

As someone who listens to the radio show every week, downloads the press conferences, consumes every bit of GT football info I can find... that's the impression that I have; and I'm not alone in that outlook. IMHO, that, in and of itself, is an issue. Especially, if it doesn't reflect reality.

My bosses expect me to hold my strengths and constantly improve on my weaknesses. I expect the same of my staff. All I'm saying here is that CPJ is a great OC. I like him as a person and a coach. I just think, purely my opinion, that he has room to improve in some areas as a leader and the face of the program.

GriffinJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

Womack was a budget hire over much better coach options (e.g. Ellis Johnson), Groh was an extreme budget hire because he was still getting paid by VA, and Roof was a legacy hire who turned out to be serviceable but not great. Groh was probably the best coach CPJ hired, but his NFL background didn't translate to stopping newly evolved spread attacks in College. Anyone remember MTSU stacked 4-wide receiver sets at home?

My point is we are paying bottom dollar. Coaching matters. Especially at the college level. If we want to do better, pony up whatever it takes and go get one of the 10 best defensive minds in college football today. We've already done this on the offensive side with CPJ, and we need his equal on the D side to get better. We won't out talent anybody so we need great coaching to win, and we haven't had it on the D side of the ball due to paying bottom dollar.

Talent shmalent. You need talent to have a top 5 or top 10 D. You think Nick Saban couldn't turn GT into a top 30-40 D?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree in general. I think one big advantage Clemson, Alabama and other elites have is their depth in practice.

Alabama's or Clemson's practice squad would probably be top 40?

We, and others like us (most teams), also don't have the depth and can't risk hurting players during the week.

All that said though, there is NO excuse for losing to Fluke or even letting them stay close in the game. Fluke destroyed our D which never should have happened.
I want to believe we shouldn't lose to duke but they have recruited better than us over the last few years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think a lot of people want to see something more aggressive because it is more fun to watch. My philosophy is: the best defense is one that works. It doesn't matter whether it is conservative or aggressive, as long as it works

This. I am not opposed to employing a more aggressive and risky D, but I don't feel it's the D that pairs best with our O, for the same reasons you stated in your post above. I think we're going to get what we've been asking for, though, and I just want us to keep that in mind when the plays don't go our way sometimes.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This. I am not opposed to employing a more aggressive and risky D, but I don't feel it's the D that pairs best with our O, for the same reasons you stated in your post above. I think we're going to get what we've been asking for, though, and I just want us to keep that in mind when the plays don't go our way sometimes.
And
"the offense can get back out there and score again! "The difference is ( we hope) the aggressive d will get also get us field position and turn overs so
"the offense can get out there and score again!".

Hope that's the plan for 18. The offense kicks xxx and wears out the defenders by getting back on the field till we are ahead enough to get reserves some playing time. In 18 everybody enjoys playing fb at gt.