Defense

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone else noticed an alarming defensive trend? Every game it seems, we have let a player from the other team take over the game. I'm not sure if this is just by chance or if it's something we're doing defensively.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uga: We let Djurisic get 18 and he led them back into the game

IPFW: Forbes had 17 and 10 (although understandable because he is their only good player

Marquette: Obviously this game is the most glaring where Carlino got 38 (rest of the team had 34)

Rider: We ended up shutting him down in the second half (good adjustment by BG), but Lopez went absolutely off in the first half and could do anything he wanted, keeping Rider in the game at half time

URI: EC Matthews had 17, but he is a future NBA player so I won't consider this one

NW: Olah had 19 and 10, hitting huge baskets at the end, including a 3 pointer (he's 7 feet tall!) to get it to within 1 point

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's luck or something we're doing, but every game it seems we let one guy torch us and bring the other team back into the game. Thoughts?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Olah shoots 3's at a 30% clip in his career. Not unheard of.

Q, while a good shooter is, how do i say it without making enemies, inept on the defensive end. Throw CB2 in that basket as well. Tadric doesnt play enough (?) to make a huge impact, and MGH cant guard everyone and we ran off Stacey Poole because......he was...........too athletic? Either way, our perimeter defense that many of us thought would be a strength before the season, is terrible. NW was 4-23 from deep last night, but it wasnt because they werent good looks, NW is just terrible.

We have been good on the glass. I beleive we have yet to be outrebounded this season (we tied with NW at 35)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Q sags way too far off the offensive player and struggles to fight through screens. I've sat through most of these games waiting for that to burn us.

Last night's perimeter D, despite some mistakes, was probably the best we've played.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I remember the announcers praising our fantastic perimeter defense at one point last night, saying how quickly we adjusted and closed out
To be fair those announcers were talking like we were some kind of powerhouse and it would’ve been a monumental upset if Northwestern won.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First off, the other team is almost always going to have someone have a big game - very seldom do you see a game where you hold everyone to 8 pts.

The key is to not let multiple players go off. Though our one loss was due to one player simply going insanely off and GT seeming to be completely unable to stop him.

Most teams have 2 or 3 primary scorers and your goal is to take as many of them out of the game as you can. If you can take one out, you increase your chance of winning, if you can take 2 out, you will win often.

One other note on defense. While there is alot of room for improvement, it is not like it has fallen off a cliff. KenPom has GT's adjD at 51st nationally right now. That's really not that bad. Fans have a tendency to be myopic and see only what their team is doing and not have any context of how that compares to other teams.