Defense put on a clinic

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I was on this board last week creating a thread about how I thought no matter what down it was or what quarter it was our defense always looks the same. I asked why we cant have LB move around stand on the line, etc...trying to confuse the offense.

I will say I thought our D played a great game and we constantly got after the QB. Not sure what the alignment was for the D but it appeared we had 3 DL for most of the game. Kind of like a 3/4

Think about it....after halftime FSU only had the ball on offense 4 times. Punt, Interception, Punt, Missed FG.

Held a Heisman hopeful to only 82 yards rushing with team average of 2.9 yards per rush.

Great effort. Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Schultz made a good comment regarding our defense in the AJC. Had it not been for JeT's INTs that basically gifted FSU a TD, and easy FG, FSU really only scored 6 points all game.

Considering the opposition, probably the best defensive performance I can remember from a GT defense since CPJ got here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It reminded me a lot of how we lined up and played against CU, and to a lesser extent georgie, last year.

I remembered thinking that we should've been playing more 3-4 all the time. It allows us to be more multiple with which DE/LB we're rushing even when we only bring 4.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Schultz made a good comment regarding our defense in the AJC. Had it not been for JeT's INTs that basically gifted FSU a TD, and easy FG, FSU really only scored 6 points all game.

Considering the opposition, probably the best defensive performance I can remember from a GT defense since CPJ got here.
True. But we also intercepted the ball in the endzone too. So, I consider the TD's a wash. Still, we held FSU's offense to 16 points, with several stiff denials in short yardage situations. That was huge.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our D played their butts off, but not being on the field much was the critical ingredient to their success. Even if we're not scoring, playing keep away is huge for our chances of winning.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
True. But we also intercepted the ball in the endzone too. So, I consider the TD's a wash. Still, we held FSU's offense to 16 points, with several stiff denials in short yardage situations. That was huge.

I think our performance vs CU last year was comparable.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It reminded me a lot of how we lined up and played against CU, and to a lesser extent georgie, last year.

I remembered thinking that we should've been playing more 3-4 all the time. It allows us to be more multiple with which DE/LB we're rushing even when we only bring 4.
Totally agree.

We should send at least send 1 everydown and it should not be predictable.
With lb and ss moved up close to line our d looked CLEMSON like.

Perhaps Mitchell has enough size to be a run stopper inside and height and athletic ability / height to affect passes over middle.

I wonder if the guys play W MORE ENERGY when defense is more risky. When Carson took over for dodd and Glanville joined him we had pretty aggressive d.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the D played relentless...... super job.......... lots of hustle!! we still had a lot of missed tackles just think if we could cut those in half....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think our performance vs CU last year was comparable.

I think this year's was more impressive considering Gholsen is a far better QB than Cole Stoudt was. It was a much different game once Deshawn Watson went out last year...and we saw how much of a difference he made this year for their offense.

That Clemson performance last year was still impressive though.