Defending the post

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would give Bacott his 20/15 game and take guarding the perimeter shooters / drivers. Either way we do not match up well at all with this UNC team. Their guards are very quick with the dribble, can penetrate and are ok 3 point shooters. Bacott is a beast inside.
Yeah, I have a sense of doom about this game. Wish we had a few other wins under our belt so this one won’t put us in a tailspin.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Ndongo, Claude and Duowanna have 15 fouls between them. We need to get our money's worth tomorrow. None of those touch fouls, excuse me I bumped you, sorry I moved a nanosecond early on my screen, etc, When Yvon Joseph fouled you on Tuesday you still felt it on Saturday, you remembered it a month later during the rematch. We need some of that again if we're gonna win. When Sally blocked a shot, half the time it landed on Fowler St. Gimme a few of those also please.

Yeah, I have a sense of doom about this game. Wish we had a few other wins under our belt so this one won’t put us in a tailspin.
Tailspin?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
57 I hate to disagree with you. But while CLAUDE and others banged with Bacot, the real key was the energy we played with on the perimeter. This game never really got to UNC being able to isolate Bacot off the role or on the post.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@Jack Looks like Gapare and Claude did their best Salley imitation tonight.

At one point I compared Claude to Mansell. If anyone was there at the 1985 ACCT, at one point we had gotten into such bad foul trouble against unc that Mansell had to play a long time. Maybe my memory is not quite what it used to be, but I believe we increased the lead while Salley, Ferrell and Joseph were on the bench. Mansell was the man that game, played like a man possessed. Claude reminded me of that game tonight.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
57 I hate to disagree with you. But while CLAUDE and others banged with Bacot, the real key was the energy we played with on the perimeter. This game never really got to UNC being able to isolate Bacot off the role or on the post.
unc reminded me of us a lot of games. They had the ball outside the 3pt line, no idea what play to run, nobody wanted to take the shot. If Davis wasn't shooting, we were playing good defense. unc got nervous when we kept hanging around, none of their players wanted to the the reason they lost so they all became the reason they lost. We had our war faces on, we came to win tonight. Could have been Nait, could have been Sturdy, could have been Kelly or Claude or Gapare, but someone was going to will that ball in the damn basket and our D was not going to fold.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
2 things:

First. The game tonight teaches me that I know absolutely nothing about basketball.

Second: Tech has some strange, odd combinations of players that somehow, once in a while, all come together to be as tough to beat as any team in the country.

Third: I lied about it being two things. Wish this team could put games together like this regularly. I still think that’s a function of missing a key player or two who they can ride when the team is off, as well as the youthful nature of the team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Some of us wanted this team to bang inside and be physical. Some wanted us to play with more temp and energy on the perimeter. We got both.
This was my biggest take away as well.

I was shocked we did as well as we did rotating the bigs in the paint. Masterful job by the staff to plan and the boys to execute it.

That said, I got my wish of pushing the tempo most of the game and rubbing heavy, deep screens to try to tangle up their D and weaken their legs.

Hard to argue with the win tonight so I poured a heavy pour of my Victory Bourbon and am rewatching the game to see some of the iso plays we ran. I still can’t believe what we got with Nait.

Also really hope Baye comes back fine from this.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Anyone at the game care to comment about the crowd energy.
It was the first game I’ve attended this season and once the Jackets started to close the gap in the last few minutes of the first half it was electric.

My freshman year was 1984-85 so it began for me with an ACC Championship and I got to be in the place many times for some of the biggest wins in GT history. But there was a moment or two tonight when it was louder than I’ve ever heard it before.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It was the first game I’ve attended this season and once the Jackets started to close the gap in the last few minutes of the first half it was electric.

My freshman year was 1984-85 so it began for me with an ACC Championship and I got to be in the place many times for some of the biggest wins in GT history. But there was a moment or two tonight when it was louder than I’ve ever heard it before.
It was the first game this year for me as well. I loved it. The GT students were great, imho! The overall atmosphere was, imho, quieter than in the Thrillerdome years, but still decent considering how many UNC fans were there. My guess is that many outside of students kept waiting for the collapse that would cost us the game, as opposed to believing we could or would win all game long. But perhaps I am projecting …

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

Good call out on the run to close the half. Crowd was huge help generating that when we were down double digits!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This was my biggest take away as well.

I was shocked we did as well as we did rotating the bigs in the paint. Masterful job by the staff to plan and the boys to execute it.

That said, I got my wish of pushing the tempo most of the game and rubbing heavy, deep screens to try to tangle up their D and weaken their legs.

Hard to argue with the win tonight so I poured a heavy pour of my Victory Bourbon and am rewatching the game to see some of the iso plays we ran. I still can’t believe what we got with Nait.

Also really hope Baye comes back fine from this.
Victory Bourbon? Spill it for us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It was the first game this year for me as well. I loved it. The GT students were great, imho! The overall atmosphere was, imho, quieter than in the Thrillerdome years, but still decent considering how many UNC fans were there. My guess is that many outside of students kept waiting for the collapse that would cost us the game, as opposed to believing we could or would win all game long. But perhaps I am projecting …
On TV the crowd did not seem as loud as I remembered theThrillerdome. But could have been mic placement or something. Back in the day it was deafening.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Victory Bourbon? Spill it for us.

Technically it all spilled, out of the glass and into my belly.

IMG_9207.jpeg