Film Room Def Breakdown GT vs UGA pt. 1.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Some notes

We can be some much better on defense. There are some plays where we shine as individuals but not as a cohesive team defense.

Still wondering whats the rationale behind playing Nickel vs 21 and 12 personnel, but Lawrence held his own

Pro- Style offense can get boring.

The last play was TD of course ran out of my 15 mins. Some reason I cant stop and pick up where I left off with Quicktime screen record.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok ibeeballin, question: you're coaching our D-line and seeing them get repeatedly blown off the ball (like we were in this game - it hurt my heart) what do you tell your D-line?!?

I heard lots of times Ugag was mediocre to bad on O-line and then for GT they played like they should have two or three 1,000 yard rushers. Are we just standing up too quick? Or are the dwags just that much more physical than us and there's not much to be done about it?

To me it looks like D-line is kind of standing up and catching the blockers instead of exploding into them low off the ball. I don't presume to know anything, just asking and looking to learn. Is there any kind of technique or something that would help besides being lower? Like maybe try to fire off ball into your assigned gap along with a rip move so that O-line trying to drive block you just kinda slips past?

I don't know, haha I just can't imagine not trying to do something different each play. If you're getting blocked and driven is it just already gameover at that point or can you try to spin off of it?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Two-folds: yes I believe our leverage was bad. Quite a few times we were standing straight there wasn't a stout for us not but also as hard as it may be to do give the Dawgs credit. UGA OLine came out and wanted to set the tone. Luckily for us our offense came to play this game too

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair enough - I kinda figured it might be that they just played well. Hopefully the guys can correct some of this stuff before the bowl game and definitely for next year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
OK, Ibeeballin, here is my question...and it's probably a stupid one. If your D line is getting just pushed back 3 yards or so like that time after time, is there any reason not to have them just cut block the O lineman?? It seems like that would at least create some clutter at the LOS AND allow the LB's more room to see and attack the ball carrier. On Saturday, it just seemed that our LB's were just swallowed up in the tangle of bodies 4 yards past the LOS and thus ineffective. I don't think our MLB made a tackle that I can recall. Wouldn't getting the O line and D line out of the way free them up to make plays??

Ok, I'll sneak this last question in and then hang up and listen...in the 4th quarter they did not gash us as bad in the run game. Did you notice anything different that we were doing later in the game?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Great breakdown. To me our DL stunts are too slow to develop. It looked like uga gameplan was to run the ball and their OL was up for the challenge.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you ibeeballin! Your videos really help me better understand the D side of the ball. And kudos to the new production values!

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm interested to see your analysis on the 4th quarter where we seemed to stop them. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
OK, Ibeeballin, here is my question...and it's probably a stupid one. If your D line is getting just pushed back 3 yards or so like that time after time, is there any reason not to have them just cut block the O lineman?? It seems like that would at least create some clutter at the LOS AND allow the LB's more room to see and attack the ball carrier. On Saturday, it just seemed that our LB's were just swallowed up in the tangle of bodies 4 yards past the LOS and thus ineffective. I don't think our MLB made a tackle that I can recall. Wouldn't getting the O line and D line out of the way free them up to make plays??

Ok, I'll sneak this last question in and then hang up and listen...in the 4th quarter they did not gash us as bad in the run game. Did you notice anything different that we were doing later in the game?

Cutting Olineman is not the best idea other than on goalline. Our LBs is a mysterious group who constantly does unconventional things

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our DTs have to get their pad level down. We saw a good bit more of Adams vs uga and I think I see why we didn't see him more earlier many cried for. I'm not trying to be negative, I've been and continue to be pumped about his potential. He has big improvements to make still. Needs to improve hand fighting, has to improve pad level, needs to get a bit lighter to improve quickness, allows himself to get directed too much when bull rushing straight ahead.

He gives the best push still especially when he attacks a gap. Gonna be a good one but not there yet. Very impressed with him as a true frosh.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for teaching us so much. I was also wondering why we kept our 4-2-5 on the field when all they were doing was running the ball.